Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan Recommendation

Options
  • 04-08-2020 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

So on our first trip with caravan. We have a Bailey Ranger 6 berth on hire. It is the one with 2 bunks in back and then double bed is the couch at front converted. To be honest we didnt expect to like it, so far has actually worked out great and we kinda know what we are looking for and just wondering what type/models are good

Budget is probaby 7-8k but we might push to 10k. Would like one with a fixed double bed and some sort of proper shower if possible, shower not as big a concern.. It has to be 6 berth.

We have no idea, seen loads of lovely one on the site but is one brand better to the other? One easier to get parts etc? should we go single or twin axle?

Plus I am 100% aware of the price increase this year due to Covid. I am only starting to look so I want to keep an eye on the correct models and monitor prices, also check UK etc

Is my budget big enough? kids are young and if we buy expect to maybe keep for a long time or trade up in future

Thanks for help......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So on our first trip with caravan. We have a Bailey Ranger 6 berth on hire. It is the one with 2 bunks in back and then double bed is the couch at front converted. To be honest we didnt expect to like it, so far has actually worked out great and we kinda know what we are looking for and just wondering what type/models are good

Budget is probaby 7-8k but we might push to 10k. Would like one with a fixed double bed and some sort of proper shower if possible, shower not as big a concern.. It has to be 6 berth.

We have no idea, seen loads of lovely one on the site but is one brand better to the other? One easier to get parts etc? should we go single or twin axle?

Plus I am 100% aware of the price increase this year due to Covid. I am only starting to look so I want to keep an eye on the correct models and monitor prices, also check UK etc

Is my budget big enough? kids are young and if we buy expect to maybe keep for a long time or trade up in future

Thanks for help......

I cant help you on what make to go for but Bailey, Swift, Lunar, coachman are British manufactured so id imagine parts are relatively easy to get. Im in the same boat looking to purchase but the prices this year as you mentioned have gone through the roof. I have 2 under 7 and a teen, have decided on fix bunk 6 berth with end shower/separate toilet twin axle as getting an extra circa 2 feet. I've noticed a 2/2.5k sterling price increase from last year in the UK, was due to purchase this year but not willing to purchase now due to the silly prices or go across due to C19. will hold off until i see price drops and C19 depending.
    We had been viewing vans to see what we like and suits us before C19. some of the combined toilet and shower units are way to small to have a shower in or use the toilet after a shower due to the whole room been wet, waiting for it to dry or having to dry it down, so hence why we went with separate shower for ease. best for you to go view before you make a decision. I've changed my mind on vans i liked online after viewing them in person, like you plan on keeping it for several years and going to France etc... as for your budget i think is loads for a first timer..6-8 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

We have a Caravelair triple bunk model. It's a french brand i think so the door is on the opposite side to the the usual UK models. This is fantastic when in France as the door to the caravan ends up on the correct side to nip in when stopped. Also, no oven in it. This is not an issue for us but might be for you.

The triple bunk layout is fantastic for us as there is a fixed bed for each of the kids, a small dinette alongside the beds for early breakfast without having to put away the double at the front which is the main dinette. The bathroom is a wetroom with shower included and indeed you would be drying the toilet after a shower if you needed to use it. As we mainly use site showers this has never been an issue.

Its a very light caravan at around 1250 kg so no issues towing it.

I would recommend motor movers for siting, and would include budget for a set in any caravan purchase if they are not already on there. Definitely would not be without them.

Other things to consider are what you can tow with your vehicle and license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

What you are looking for will be very specific to yourself so if I suggest a caravan or layout that I like, it might be no use to you. You have spent a few days in one so you will have more of an idea what works for you. I would suggest taking a trip to some of the larger dealers in the north and check out all the different layouts to find what you like. Once you have an idea of the layout, you can look in Practical Caravan magazine or caravanfinder.co.uk to find which caravans have the same layout as you have picked. You will find that most manufacturers have at least one model in each layout so from there you can start looking for those models.
    Based on your budget you are probably looking at 2007 - 2009 depending on spec and condition. Similar to cars the additional cost for a higher spec caravan when new will probably not make as much difference second hand so have an idea which model by each manufacturer has the better spec. For example, Baileys of that age go Senator, Pageant, Ranger, Discovery with Senator being the best.
    One thing to be aware of is that some manufacturers have gone out of business so parts may not be as easy to find. Also, some of the continental brands can be better built than UK but the spec and internal finish may not be as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

oinkely wrote: »
    We have a Caravelair triple bunk model. It's a french brand i think so the door is on the opposite side to the the usual UK models. This is fantastic when in France as the door to the caravan ends up on the correct side to nip in when stopped. Also, no oven in it. This is not an issue for us but might be for you.

The triple bunk layout is fantastic for us as there is a fixed bed for each of the kids, a small dinette alongside the beds for early breakfast without having to put away the double at the front which is the main dinette. The bathroom is a wetroom with shower included and indeed you would be drying the toilet after a shower if you needed to use it. As we mainly use site showers this has never been an issue.

Its a very light caravan at around 1250 kg so no issues towing it.

I would recommend motor movers for siting, and would include budget for a set in any caravan purchase if they are not already on there. Definitely would not be without them.

Other things to consider are what you can tow with your vehicle and license.

Your not selling?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your not selling?

Hell no, I'll keep this one till the kids have outgrown the bunks - note that triple bunks leave limited head room.

Our oldest is 11 so i reckon we have two or three more years before the head bumping will get really bothersome.

I would recommend the brand and layout though, if you are happy with the small wet room bathroom.

We bought it second hand about 5 years ago and so far only issue was the skylight wearing out so i replaced it with a similar sized Heki one which is much brighter.

As DB says the finish in the van is less opulent than the UK brands, cushions are not sprung, no carpet, fewer lights. But we like the simplicity. I did have to add a few spotlights for reading and i replaced most of the lights in it with LED ones.

Can't reiterate enough how highly I would value a motor mover. A must have IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

oinkely wrote: »
    Can't reiterate enough how highly I would value a motor mover. A must have IMO

Unless you grew up one a farm and can reverse a trailer in your sleep!

I've arrived on site at the same time as someone else with a similar big twin axle. My culchie history means I had the caravan parked, unhitched, water and waste set up,kettle boiled and first brew in hand before the other guy had stopped playing Mario Kart with his.

if it works for you, go ahead, but not for me.

Unless you grew up one a farm and can reverse a trailer in your sleep!

I've arrived on site at the same time as someone else with a similar big twin axle. My culchie history means I had the caravan parked, unhitched, water and waste set up,kettle boiled and first brew in hand before the other guy had stopped playing Mario Kart with his.

if it works for you, go ahead, but not for me.

I can reverse a trailer, but not with the accuracy that the motor mover allows me. I think for the vast majority the motor mover will be a major advantage. Additionally, where we site our caravan normally there is no room to reverse it in, our previous caravan didn't have a mover and it took four people to maneuver it into position with a lot of pushing and pulling. I can do it myself in ten minutes with the motor mover and no risk of overrunning into the fence!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Farmer here and I use a trailer at work regular so reverseimg is no problem to me.

Particularly if your going to the continent the avenues for pitches can be too narrow to reverse a caravan in off.

That’s the only time I’d wished I’d got a motor mover fitted. There’s usually someone about to give a push but it can be stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'd recommend hiring for your next 2 or 3 trips to confirm if you want to own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Here's a great guide from the Caravan Club in the UK, if buying a second hand caravan

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/22440/thinking%20of%20buying%20a%20second_hand%20caravan.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement