Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greece this summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

It did not. All they said EU is not a union anymore - me must adhere to the rules of the country we're travelling to. I've booked non refundable hotel so it'd be a pain to lose it. If we won't get our application 'approved' we've no choice other than saying **** you greece we did nothing you to treat us this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    Today in the airport we were let known that we need that form to be completed, we lost our flight over this. Re-booked for Thursday, the form is now completed pending bar code sending. Can anyone share their experience re processing times - are we supposed to get bar codes issued over night?

Filled out my form 24 hours before the flight, received the barcode later that day. Was asked at the check in if I had the form filled and to see the barcode.

Couldn't be easier...

It did not. All they said EU is not a union anymore - me must adhere to the rules of the country we're travelling to. I've booked non refundable hotel so it'd be a pain to lose it. If we won't get our application 'approved' we've no choice other than saying **** you greece we did nothing you to treat us this way.

You could have just filled out the form, it's been in use for months now, and i've read articles that said people were refused boarding on flights so not like it's a secret either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You could have just filled out the form, it's been in use for months now, and i've read articles that said people were refused boarding on flights so not like it's a secret either?

Exactly. You need to check the country requirements and this has been in place for a couple of months.

Cant blame Greece for actually having a screening/tracing function.

Waiting for the PLF barcode tonight and hopefully that storm to eff off.

Filled out the form yesterday at 4PM - got confirmations instantly. So far no barcodes have been sent, they say they send them on the day of travel, also they said it's okay to use submission confirmation if the barcodes haven't received. Our flight is at 8AM tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Filled out the form yesterday at 4PM - got confirmations instantly. So far no barcodes have been sent, they say they send them on the day of travel, also they said it's okay to use submission confirmation if the barcodes haven't received. Our flight is at 8AM tomorrow.

You should have them just after midnight tonight so..

I sent off for my barcode for Belgium and got it fairly quick, the Greek system is just a little slower.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Filled out my form 24 hours before the flight, received the barcode later that day. Was asked at the check in if I had the form filled and to see the barcode.

Couldn't be easier...

Are you sure you you did? Sending the QR on the same day as making the application defeats the purpose. They monitor the situation on a daily basis which is why they send it on the day of travel.

On travel.gov.gr it's said that they also accept e-submission confirmations - has anyone had experience using email confirmation in absence of QR code?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

From what I read online, you need to fill our the PLF 48 hrs in advance of travel to Greece, and you will receive the QR code at 10.00pm Irish time (midnight Greek time), the day before you fly.

Are you sure you you did? Sending the QR on the same day as making the application defeats the purpose. They monitor the situation on a daily basis which is why they send it on the day of travel.
    On travel.gov.gr it's said that they also accept e-submission confirmations - has anyone had experience using email confirmation in absence of QR code?

yea it was 48 hours before arrival but they cut that down to 24 hours cos of people travelling last minute..so i did it 24 hours before the flight and had the QR later that night...
    The check in desk will check you have things in order...

I'm off to Belgium for the weekend, had the barcode within a few minutes! :-D

00:06 greek time - nothing's been received so far.

• Advertisement

got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

RyanAir emailed me letting me know I had to fill out the form, barcode was very quick and had no issues after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Which would boardsies choose: Mykonos or Santorini ?

Partner and I (both in mid 20s) booking a last minute trip as our large family holiday with parents etc was cancelled again for September.

Santorini looks beautiful to me but maybe not a lot happening?
    Mykonos looks to have the nice beach front hotels but it’s expensive for accom too. Flights are good at the minute from Dublin

I’ve only read bits or comparisons last night. We are definitely not big partiers or drinkers but I don’t want to go somewhere totally dead either. Although I know with Covid there’s not much you can do!

Thanks.

Went to Madeira and Lisbon last year and Madeira was terrible island for us, full of pensioner age Brits and Germans, very very dead with zero atmosphere in the evenings in pubs, even in the centre. I’m not even talking about clubbing I just mean from 7-11pm!

Looking for a week of relaxation and good hotels with a bit of luxury, Mykonos seems to tick those boxes so far. Santorini also but maybe less activities to do? We’re both physically fit but Santorini looks to be quite hilly and known for hiking ...

I hear you exactly, nope that is not what I’d be up for. Having seen man United’s £86m centre back Harry Maguire got arrested in Mykonos this week, my immediate worries were is it full of the Brit insta jet setters like Marbella!

Not looking for nightclubs either, but certainly a bit of a buzz around or nice atmosphere upto 11/12 at night.

Mykonos sounds more suited than Santorini by your description. Although I’m considering Crete too.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Mickey; what would be your top 3 fav Greek islands?

All of what you described above (no clichéd Irish/Brits On Tour scenes) but with more infrastructure maybe, good transport links etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Ferryhopper.com is good for island hopping. The ferries are really easy - can recommend Blue Star although a bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

Rhodes is very nice although need to be careful where one stays. .

In what way ? Accommodation wise or crowd wise ?

1. Naxos
    2. Antiparos
    3. = Spetses and Patmos

Rhodes is very nice although need to be careful where one stays. Probably a good option for September.

Rethimno in Crete is meant to be very nice. Good quality hotels, nice beach and a nice old town.

Thanks a lot for that MickeyL, Missus is mad to get to Mykonos so might have to compromise and spend a day in both Naxos and Antiparos, i looked up google maps and it appears its about 1hour30mins on a boat from Mykonos to both of those which isn't bad. Others are too far.

Any of you done Crete, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Break it up with a Greek salad and calamari and happy days. 3.50 for a Mythos and 4 euro for a half litre of wine - happy days.

How are the prices on local food for a budget traveler looking to eat as healthy as possible Mickey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

We spent a week each on Naxos and Santorini and preferred Naxos. We’ve also stayed at a resort on the mainland and loved it. Restaurant meals were generally around €10 so a meal for two with drinks was about €30.

Mykonos and Santorini, the number 1 and 2 Greek islands...

Very expensive for accommodation, even now!

As for Crete I think it has it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Hey guys,

Planning to go to Greece this month, since it’s the only attractive country for me which is on the green list And hasn’t closed they’re borders. Clubs and bars don’t really phase me, so I don’t really mind early night finishes. In my early 20’s, planning to head with my mates. We’re very into activities, beaches, sight seeing and the likes.

I was looking into Athens, for 5 nights I know that is more then enough but is there other destinations I should try to go for during that time?

As much as I’d love to go Santorini or Mykonos lol, it’s a bit outstretched for my budget, as that is something I’d want to do on a single trip on its own(I want to go Athens) so if there is nearby resorts/cities etc that anyone could recommend? Or even how I should plan my trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

Consider Glyfada, pretty much a suburb of Athens but with a beach

Planning to go to Greece this month, since it’s the only attractive country for me which is on the green list And hasn’t closed they’re borders. Clubs and bars don’t really phase me, so I don’t really mind early night finishes. In my early 20’s, planning to head with my mates. We’re very into activities, beaches, sight seeing and the likes.I was looking into Athens, for 5 nights I know that is more then enough but is there other destinations I should try to go for during that time?As much as I’d love to go Santorini or Mykonos lol, it’s a bit outstretched for my budget, as that is something I’d want to do on a single trip on its own(I want to go Athens) so if there is nearby resorts/cities etc that anyone could recommend? Or even how I should plan my trip?

If you're going to Athen's then check out Vouliagmeni, it's full of beaches where all the city locals go on a day off etc. A few bars and restaurants around the beach too. It's not a cheap neighbourhood so expect to pay Irish prices...
    Not sure how lively it is at this time of year, so if it were me i'd stay in Athens city centre where you'll find Speakeasy bars that stay open until 3am...

Taxi takes around 30 mins or so to the beach.
    Stay in a hotel close to the Monastiraki district, it's the most historic part and close to the Metro for getting around cheaply and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

what is poros like to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

So I have booked my tickets to Athens for this Friday, returning on Tuesday.
    Apart from filling out that form, do I need to do a test beforehand ?

So I have booked my tickets to Athens for this Friday, returning on Tuesday.
    Apart from filling out that form, do I need to do a test beforehand ?

No test before arrival but chances are there's a test when you do arrive..

Just back on friday from a great week in Mykonos.

I'll tell you something else, felt a lot safer in Mykonos airport than arriving into Dublin. It's tiny but their professionalism, attitude and enforcing of mask wearing etc was exemplary.

Great week and only had to wear masks while indoors in stores/shops on the island.

Didn't impact our holiday at all. Dublin airport is a disgrace on arrival and it would make you question the whole NPHET/government to be honest.

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Didn't impact our holiday at all. Dublin airport is a disgrace on arrival and it would make you question the whole NPHET/government to be honest.

Not sure what the issue is with D.A, but of the 8 airports I've traveled to in the last 2 months it's probably the best... And certainly 10 times better than the 3 Greek airports I was in.

Advertisement