Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac Driveway full of moss/weeds - hot to fix?

Options
  • 07-03-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I have a driveway - tarmac, but full of moss, lots of grass and weeds. It is a holiday home so doesnt get a lot of traffic. What is the cheapest solution to this? I had considered - spraying to kill weeds and scrape them off as best I can, or buy a load of gravel and put over the tarmac.
    See picture (if I managed to upload it properly).
    Thanks in advance
    DM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Give it a generous sprinkling of washing detergent, something cheap and cheery.

Leave until Moss all dead

Powerwash it all away.

You’ll be surprised by the volume of rubbish coming off it. Have a wheelbarrow and shovel at hand and keep on front of washer clear.

Some deep rooted grass or weeds may need pulling by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭steinbock123

First off, DON'T put gravel over it. That'll be a short term solution and it'll be no time before the weeds start coming up through it. I would give it a comprehensive power wash (with a good powerful machine) , and maybe spray weedkiller (Roundup or similar ??) on it afterwards when it's dry.
    Repeat when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Roundup is not very effective on Moss.
    I have good success with washing detergent and continue to use it (you never really get rid of moss). However I was told that washing detergent can damage tarmac. As my drive was rough to begin with I am not sure how much I can blame the detergent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

demello wrote: »
    I have a driveway - tarmac, but full of moss, lots of grass and weeds. It is a holiday home so doesnt get a lot of traffic. What is the cheapest solution to this? I had considered - spraying to kill weeds and scrape them off as best I can, or buy a load of gravel and put over the tarmac.
    See picture (if I managed to upload it properly).
    Thanks in advance
    DM

Accepting the moss is not doing you any harm would be the cheapest option. When we get some dry weather it will die off a bit then any way and sometimes it can be manually scraped off tarmac when it has dried out a bit. My parents' house has a tarmac drive and occasionally I scrape off some of the moss and remove the weeds manually with the help of a trowel to scratch at the moss and to help lever up the roots of the weeds without digging into the tarmac and damaging it too much. I then can sweep up the moss and weeds and use a shovel to scoop them off the drive. A flame weed burner can be used to kill weeds in this situation as well. You don't need to incinerate the weeds but a quick flame to simply boil their tissues is an effective weed control method.

I'd be afraid any chemicals that would be applied to your driveway would be washed into the pond or whatever water way is across from your front gate and cause damage to the wildlife there but not sure if I am seeing the slope correctly in the photograph. Power washing can I have read be damaging to driveways and expect whatever is beyond what you are spraying to get battered with small stones dislodged from the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭blackbox

You will find various chemicals that will kill the moss. Ferrous sulphate (sulfate of iron) is probably the cheapest and safest, but it can leave rusty stains. Other chemicals like detergents and glycols are less environmentally friendly.

Unfortunately, when the moss is dead it still has to be removed. If the tarmac is very smooth you may be able to scrape it up with a shovel, but most likely you will need to sweep it with a stiff nylon brush or use a power washer.

When you do eventually get it clear, make a point of driving near the edges as well as down the centre because wear and tear is the best thing to keep moss at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Odelay

20kg bag of salt from a builders suppliers for €10. Shake it out and if will kill all Moss an weeds. Then scrape with a flat shovel and brush.
    Apply the salt once a year to keep it clear.
    Use fine salt, not deicing or water softener salt. It should be like table salt.
    It causes no harm that I’m aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

First of all wash off the dead moss as many have said. Power wash with soap works wonders. There is a blacktop product that you can get done professionally it’s cheap here in the States, it bonds all loose clippings and blackens the tarmac.

I get this done every two years costs me about 500 dollars my driveway is about 700 feet long.

You have to let it cure, which takes about two days. No driving on it in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

^^^^^^Other chemicals like detergents and glycols are less environmentally friendly.

^^^^Dishwasher, Washing machine, or washing-up liquid ???

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

That's bad!
    Scrape off excess, then spray with jeyes fluid. It'll turn brown in 2 days. You can leave it disintegrate or go at it with a yard brush or powerwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Has anyone used sodium percarbonate as an environmentally friendly option to clean a concrete patio? Want to avoid anything that will harm wildlife or nearby plants. I guess powerwasher might be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I use Formil non-bio washing powder from Lidl, diluted with warm water and put it a weed sprayer. Give all the moss a good soak, within a few days it will all turn brown, you can then brush it off with a stiff yard brush, works very well on weeds also.

This literally works on everything, we use it on brickwork, cobble lock paving, wood etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

DK32 wrote: »
    I use Formil non-bio washing powder from Lidl, diluted with warm water and put it a weed sprayer. Give all the moss a good soak, within a few days it will all turn brown, you can then brush it off with a stiff yard brush, works very well on weeds also.
    This literally works on everything, we use it on brickwork, cobble lock paving, wood etc..

How much do you dilute it by may i ask?

[/CENTER]

How much do you dilute it by may i ask?

I just put in a couple of large scoops of powder in the sprayer and then filled the sprayer up 1/2 full with hot tap water, agitated the sprayer bottle to mix the powder and water together and then topped up the bottle to the top level with hot tap water.

Then you just head out and spray. I was still left with a big lump of powder in the bottom of the bottle afterwards which just washes out but it was sufficiently strong to make all the moss and weeds and green slime on brickwork to turn brown in a couple of days. It also rained between the time I sprayed and the time I went to brush it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Would that Formil stuff work if I sprayed it on a very badly mossed lawn, or would it kill the grass as well ?

Would that Formil stuff work if I sprayed it on a very badly mossed lawn, or would it kill the grass as well ?

I wouldn't personally try it. I would go for a proper moss killer product, some kind of feed and weed product perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

I've used the washing powder before and it definitely works, even if it looks like its snowed for a few days. I've also used vinegar for the moss and for general weeding. Bought in bulk on amazon like here it works out quite cheap:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Swan-White-Vinegar-Litre/dp/B00TZT6GQE/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=vinegar&qid=1554896292&s=gateway&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't !!

Especially as you can buy plenty of products that kill moss on lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

DK32 wrote: »
    I just put in a couple of large scoops of powder in the sprayer and then filled the sprayer up 1/2 full with hot tap water, agitated the sprayer bottle to mix the powder and water together and then topped up the bottle to the top level with hot tap water.

Then you just head out and spray. I was still left with a big lump of powder in the bottom of the bottle afterwards which just washes out but it was sufficiently strong to make all the moss and weeds and green slime on brickwork to turn brown in a couple of days. It also rained between the time I sprayed and the time I went to brush it all off.
    Is that a 5-litre sprayer or bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

You can get lawn feed that has moss killer in it.

Works great, lawn turns black for a week or two but is great once the grass starts growing again.

a solution of washing powder will probably kill the grass and the moss too, whihc is what you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Interesting thread. I just spent a backbreaking morning clearing our brick paved driveway of moss and weeds. Am knackered now!

I know it is not the same issue as OP, but I used one of those wire brush thinggies on a long handle and it was amazing. Took a while, but it removed all weeds (bits of grass really and moss (front is North facing so is prone to moss).

Just wondered if a watering can without the rose thing would work in future with the mix of washing powder and warm water. (I could always buy a sprayer I suppose lol).

Next job is to power wash it. Thinking of getting it done by a company as we are in a terrace, and getting the hose through the house is a pain in the Aras. Any recommendations South Dublin area? Very wary (sorry) of engaging our nomadic friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

regarding the washing powder does it matter if its bio or non-bio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

fryup wrote: »
    regarding the washing powder does it matter if its bio or non-bio?

Has to be Bio (in my experience anyway, worked a treat). Just do it when the ground is wet, but not raining heavy (so it will last a while and won't get washed away).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

youtheman wrote: »
    Has to be Bio (in my experience anyway, worked a treat). Just do it when the ground is wet, but not raining heavy (so it will last a while and won't get washed away).

Dk32 said non bio in an earlier post so not sure if it matters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

Dk32 said non bio in an earlier post so not sure if it matters

Yeah, noted that. But I was always told that it had to be Bio. And I can categorically state that Bio works a treat (maybe non Bio works as well !).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sourcebody

Hi - I have used both mineral salt and Formil on separate ocassions. Both work well but I use them dry, just sprinkle some on the moss surface, then when it rains it soaks into the tarmac and in a couple of more days its all brown. Pressure wash the area then and take away all the dead moss. All is good again for another year but it will not be as strong the next year. Unfortunately its a long term job to keep it at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Firstly, be under no circumstances power wash tar. You may do untold damage.
    Under no circumstances use sulphate or iron on solid surface, it will destroy it leaving it all red and impossible to restore. Sulphate or iron should only be used on the lawn and even then be careful walking off a treated lawn into solid
    As above you have a few options
    1. Weeds and most require different solutions
    2. Weeds need a weed killer so purchase according to garden center or something like Roundup (there are some new regulations on who can use it now)
    3. Moss can be killed with cheap washing powder or a mood killer which is chlorine based. It will die and can be brushed off

1. The OP is asking about moss and weeds on a driveway, not a lawn.
    1. For moss or green algae, forget detergent, salt, vinegar etc., the simple answer is Patio Magic. It comes in a 5l can from your local hardware, builders' providers, garden centre or agricultural co-op. Lidl do a similar product in a 1l container from time to time.
    dilute 4 or 5 to one and spray on. It takes a few days to take effect and needs to be applied about twice annually.
    No connection, just a satisfied user. I use it on my boat also.
    3. For the weeds buy 5l of Roundup when you are getting the Patio Magic.

1. The OP is asking about moss and weeds on a driveway, not a lawn.
    1. For moss or green algae, forget detergent, salt, vinegar etc., the simple answer is Patio Magic. It comes in a 5l can from your local hardware, builders' providers, garden centre or agricultural co-op. Lidl do a similar product in a 1l container from time to time.
    dilute 4 or 5 to one and spray on. It takes a few days to take effect and needs to be applied about twice annually.
    No connection, just a satisfied user. I use it on my boat also.
    3. For the weeds buy 5l of Roundup when you are getting the Patio Magic.

Yep got that, he said he has a tarmac driveway, I commented that sulphate of iron should not be used on a solid surface only on a lawn, someone above mentioned using it

Hi Blowheads,
    My comments were not directed at you , but at the thread generally.
    +1 on not power spraying tarmac. How do I know about that:(

• Advertisement

Hi Blowheads,
    My comments were not directed at you , but at the thread generally.
    +1 on not power spraying tarmac. How do I know about that:(

A1, here's a question for you, have more growing in garden along by the kerbs. What to use that's ok for lawn and kerb/tar? Any idea?

Advertisement