Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Today I picked a cherry - yes, just one cherry.

I have a few wild cherry trees around the garden and I have never had any cherries on them before, but this year one of them has a fair few.

Most of them are still green but I spotted one red one and got out a stepladder so that I could get it before the birds (I guess there's a reason people call them Bird Cherries).

Anyway, it was only about 10mm in diameter and even though juicy was quite sour. If I can get a decent few over the next few weeks I hope to cook them (with plenty of sugar!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Didn't get anything done in the garden due to the (much needed) rain but we went to the rose festival in St Anne's and I got these beauties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

Today I harvested french beans and planted my third lot of beetroot! Also deadheading and more deadheading...and put out a plate of water for the birds but they don't seem too interested...!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got the garlic in the ground today; earliest i've ever planted it, it's usually around december i get it in.
    50 cloves of garlic and 6 of elephant garlic - knowingly making a mistake in that it's the same ground we've grown garlic in for the last four years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Most of the day chopping wood to put in the garage to dry a bit more before being used to keep the stove going over the next few months. Also picked some autumn fruiting raspberry and ate some of the grapes in the polly-tunnel. Also harvested a courgette and picked a few weeds. Planted some garlic last week as would usually try to plant it about this time of year. Actually have one garlic plant I forgot about flowering at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that garlic has quite thin leaves, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

that garlic has quite thin leaves, does it?

I suppose it does. It's probably a full bulb of garlic cloves growing in the one spot since it was never harvested.

one issue i have in my garden is i've a little woodland section, and a friend gave me a load of wild garlic bulbs to plant in it.
    unfortunately, they were three cornered leek rather than actual wild garlic. the taste is a little too bland for me, but they're not easy to eradicate.

I spent an hour harvesting walnuts. I was like a kid lobbing a log up at the tree. Something is competing for them - I suspect squirrels, but I haven't seen any.

There is a huge crop this year - I actually have no idea what I will do with them all.

how old are the trees?

• Advertisement

how old are the trees?

Only one tree. I planted it about 20 - 25 years ago. It has had a few nuts a couple of years ago. None at all last year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yesterday was the long but satisfying task of mowing, scarifying, aerating and mowing again of the entire lawn (~0.4 acre).

It was an interesting year for the lawn. At the end of the drought period I thought I'd have to start over - thought it wouldn't recover. I took the opportunity to spray selective weedkiller as the only things thriving were the docks, thistles and dandelions while the grass was dying away. Fast forward a few months after a couple of rainy months and a good dose of lawn fertilizer and it has never looked better and more weed-free.

The selective weed-killer devastated the weeds and the grass recovered so well it seems to have filled in around the weeds. A conscious decision to raise the lawn mower and leave it raised for the rest of the season after the drought worked wonders too I think. Yesterday was the first time I scarified and aerated the lawn after 4 years of laying it. Fingers crossed that will only improve things for the spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pulled down the Tigerella tomato teepee, chopped the stem and fruit into the ground and re-potted a spring graft apple tree m26 + Bewleys (Knights Tem) into one of the determinate variety tomato pots I had in the front room. I have no plausible spot for said tree so someone will be getting a 'gift' at some point!

2NgZ3.jpg2NgZq.jpg

2NgZC.jpg2NgZF.jpg

2NgZD.jpg2NgZE.jpg

anyone else here dealing with a mad profusion of robin run the hedge/cleavers/goosegrass?
    we have a plague of it this year; i don't know if it's been the weather conditions we've had this year, or the weather conditions last year was perfect for it setting seed, but i've pulled a huge amount up this evening. and my forearms look like i've had an allergic reaction (not actually the case) with all the tiny little scratches i picked up for my efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Sticky backs as we call them ^^. Yep. Rampant this year compared to the last three I'm in the house.

Today I sawed up the willow that fell last weekend in the wind, used some of its branches to plug gaps in the ditch and piled the rest up on the compost heap.

The wood will be used for outdoors burning in the fire pit. Not going near the stove.

my next job, probably tomorrow, is yanking up the three cornered leek in the back garden. i was given it by someone who told me it was wild garlic (and it is, according to some people) but it's not the real thing, and it really needs to be knocked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

479455.jpg

I started digging this earlier today and whilst it's not finished the plant's only cost €350 I have a lot more work to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Truckermal wrote: »
    the plant's only cost €350
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Removing dead pampas grass - I would prefer to serve a prison sentence.....

I killed it off a few months ago, let it die back, cut as much with a hedge trimmer as possible, now going at the rest of it with a pick axe.

Any other tips welcome, can’t wait to see the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

I have seen pampas being burned, even when still wanted to reduce the size of the crown. Crowbar with a stone for a fulcrum would be my best option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have seen pampas being burned, even when still wanted to reduce the size of the crown. Crowbar with a stone for a fulcrum would be my best option

Oh sh!te....I've to remove some as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Yesterday I saw two ladybird beetles on my raised bed. On the far wall where there are recurrant bushes I noticed the tips of the bushes over-run by greenfly. Wondered where the ladybirds had gotten to. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I made home for the bush tomatoes out of various bits and pieces I have cluttering up the shed. Never throw anything away!

Two bits of old poly sheeting, Lidl coldframe, an old folding airer frame, some bamboo cane, some corrugated plastic panels, plastic ties, tape and hope.

2TUg8.jpg

2TUg7.jpg

2TUg6.jpg

2TUg4.jpg

2TUg5.jpg

2TUg2.jpg

2TUg1.jpg

2TUfZ.jpg

2TUg9.jpg

About an hours work.

Planted bare-root Griselinia hedge today (well at least I got started on it).

It will define the back of the garden where the fence has rotted away.

First constructive garden action of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I gave the back lawn it's first cut of the year today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I finally dug up 2 rose bushes, 2 blueberry bushes and 3 currant bushes in prep for moving house. I'm leaving the raspberries and probably the strawberries, or at least most of them. Anything else I want to bring is already in buckets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Moved into an old house back in November, finally had some time over the last week to get some work done in the garden.

Dug two flower beds, one is a simple strip with 18 primroses, nothing too brilliant, but adds a bit of colour.

The other is a circular flowerbed, put in a good mixture of Sea Holly, Lupin, Hot Pokers, and Globe Thistles. To add some low cover I sprinkled a box of butterfly attracting flower seeds. More of a test bed really to see how the soil is.

Hopefully I'll have time to make some raised flower beds where I can control the soil quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Walked about 10 foot into the garden yesterday...squelchy as a bog ... retreated as that area is usually a good dry spot.... no idea as to when it will be ready for a cut, looks like a field fit for sheep. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Same here! Squelchy is the word. Luckily I had bought a couple of roofing sheets in Homebase, cut to half size, to put over my compost heap. I also had spread and old Christmas tree bag under the roofing. The pink worms came up to the surface to shelter under the Christmas tree bag as did about 50 slugs. Very appreciative they seem to be of their comfy home. Storm Jorge (Hore-Hay) actually blew off the roofing, but the Christmas tree bag stayed in place sheltering the residents.

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    Planted bare-root Griselinia hedge today (well at least I got started on it).

It will define the back of the garden where the fence has rotted away.

First constructive garden action of the year.

I had to foot them all in again. The recent storms had rocked them on their roots. I would have liked to cut them to reduce height but the only advice I could find was that cutting them in winter might allow in fungus.

Advertisement