Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Favorite Basketball books.

• 09-08-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Just finished reading the excellent Pacific Rims a brilliant book about Basketball in the Philippines and it got me wondering, What other Basketball books do others like out there?

I've read Jordan rules, A season on the Brink, The Last Shot and the Miracle of St Anthony and all loved them. Any other favorites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Phil Jackson's The Last Season was fascinating I thought. Not a contender for any literature awards, but very interesting nonetheless. I'm a Lakers fan, but I think all NBA fans would be interested in it.

Paddy on the Hardwood is another interesting book. Jerry West gave it his seal of approval:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I haven't read too many, Sacred Hoops from Phil Jackson is not a bad read.

Pistol, The Life of Pete Maravich is an excellent book, extremely well written and totally pulled me in.

Read Charles Barkely's, I might be wrong but I doubt it, a bit meh from what I remember, just seemed to be repeating himself.

I have Hanging from the rafters but haven't read it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

"Hanging from the Rafters" is an interesting read but grossly exaggerated in places and with more than a hint of Cork bias. One example is the author lauds Steve Bontrager who he basically says would have kicked ass in the NBA had he chosen to go there (the author claims he didn't go for religious reasons). Well, I had the pleasure of seeing Bontrager play many times and at the time he was probably the best player I had ever seen in the flesh. I also went to the (I assume now long-gone) CBCA Camp in Kilarney (same idea as Dungarvan but in Killarney and run by the Cork Coaches instead of the IBBA) where Bontrager coached for a few summers and if you listened to him talk about shooting in particular you could have learned a lot - the guy was an unbelievable 3 point, jump shot and free throw shooter. Around the same time Bontrager did a lengthy interview with an English Basketball magazine which profiled him and his career in college, as well as latterly with Polycell Kingston in England where e teamed up with another fabulous player, UK born Martin Clark. Bontrager discussed how he "knew I'd never make the NBA" but that "not being drafted (into the NBA) was an ego-killer" - and this was when the NBA Draft had 10 rounds!

Still, an awesome player though.

I could give loads of other examples of inaccuracies, exaggerations and poetic licence in the book if required!

As for other books, try and find a copy of Kareem's autobiography, "Giant Steps". It's more a life book than a basketball book, but it is deep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

David Halberstam wrote two amazing books about basketball. He's a political writer mainly, with amazing books about Vietnam and the Bush Snr/Clinton presidencies, and his abilities to tell amazing stories and describe characters is so good.
    Playing for Keeps is about Jordan and the Bulls, and some stuff about David Stern and the NBA and ESPN during the 80's, alot about the organisation and the conflicts of personalitys during the Jordan years.
    The Breaks of the Game is about the Portland team of 79/80 (3 years after they won their rings). Again its more about the players and staff and less about the on-court bball, but its a great read, concentrates on each person's personal story and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I've read Jordan rules, A season on the Brink, ....

Have read both of these. The Jordan Rules might be my favourite ever book. Had a hardcover copy when I was a kid and read it about five times. Lost it between house moves at some stage but bought a paperback copy a couple of years back and read it again. Just a wonderful insight into the psychology of sports.

I also read the equivalent book from the Laker's last title in the Shaq-Kobe era, that was good too but not quite as good as the Jordan Rules.

I thought A Season on the Brink was very good but, for some reason, I had it in my head that the Hoosiers went on to win the NCAA title that year so when I got to the end and they were KO'd I was devastated lol :o

Just started 'Kobe Bryant: Mad Game' today actually. Picked it up cheap on the net, anybody read it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Just started 'Kobe Bryant: Mad Game' today actually. Picked it up cheap on the net, anybody read it?
    Nope, but I'm always looking for ways to splurge money on amazon, let us know what it's like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Some other books that I forgot to mention in the original post would include the (The Rivalry: Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and the Golden Age of Basketball) which is a fascinating read not just about the rivalry between those two but a great look at Basketball during that period.Also really enjoyed "My losing season" by Pat Conroy.

Speaking of Kareem I'd love to try his "A Season on the Reservation" book. It looks quite interesting.

Some other books that I forgot to mention in the original post would include the (The Rivalry: Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and the Golden Age of Basketball) which is a fascinating read not just about the rivalry between those two but a great look at Basketball during that period.Also really enjoyed "My losing season" by Pat Conroy.

Speaking of Kareem I'd love to try his "A Season on the Reservation" book. It looks quite interesting.

Wish I hadn't read this thread now, dropped fifty lids on amazon after readin this yesterday :D - what always gets me is after you add a book to your basket they pop up the "here are some other books you may enjoy" slot and reel ya back in! Gets me everytime... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Has anyone read Bill Simmons' The Book Of Basketball- The NBA According To The Sportsguy?

I'm about a hundred pages in... Quality stuff so far.

mc_grens wrote: »
    Has anyone read Bill Simmons' The Book Of Basketball- The NBA According To The Sportsguy?

I'm about a hundred pages in... Quality stuff so far.

It's one of those books that I could read again and again to be honest. His what if scenarios are very entertaining as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I've been meaning to pick it up for a long time now.

I've been reading his articles for years - he's my favourite sportswriter.

His podcasts are pretty good too.

Some other books that I forgot to mention in the original post would include the (The Rivalry: Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and the Golden Age of Basketball) which is a fascinating read not just about the rivalry between those two but a great look at Basketball during that period.

Finally got round to reading this (had a very large -'to-read' pile!) and just finished it yesterday. Very enjoyable I must say... would recommend it... quite poignant at the end when it deals with Chamberlain's death and the fact he and Russell never fully reconciled.

Speaking of which I'll probably preorder Jerry West's book. Should be a fascinating read. He made some interesting comments about Phil Jackson the other day actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jordans n Timbs

cosign that ''playing for keeps'' book.......he had a sh*tload of info about jordans time at north carolina in there, dope book

only the strong survive: the odyssey of allen iverson is good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Paddy on the hardwood is excellent book, great insight into superleague basketball in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bumping this old thread to ask if anyone has any good recommendations for basketball books available on the kindle store?

I've read When The Game Was Ours.

I'm reading Tales from the Detroit Pistons Locker Room.

I have Jordan Rules to read after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bumping this old thread to ask if anyone has any good recommendations for basketball books available on the kindle store?

I've read When The Game Was Ours.

I'm reading Tales from the Detroit Pistons Locker Room.

I have Jordan Rules to read after that.

Both of these are decent reads (same author)

Dream Team: How Michael, Magic, Larry, Charles, and the Greatest Team of All Time Conquered the World and Changed the Game of Basketball Forever

Seven Seconds or Less: My Season on the Bench with the Runnin' and Gunnin' Phoenix Suns

Advertisement