Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trout fishing small mountain lake south kerry...

Options
  • 21-03-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi there,

im more used of sea fishing... but... for the sake of it i have a sort of romantic notion of doing a bit of browny catching at a little lake on a mountain on the iveragh penninsula...
    the lake has some sentimental value..

there are fish in it alright but id say they're very small.. i see them jumping in the summer...

so... a teny tiny fly rod and teeny tiny fly line???
    wade in a bit?? cast from the bank??
    get a little kyakky canoe thing??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Fly rods tend not to be tiny but are very light. You'll need something around 9' - 10' long wit a line weight around 5 or 6.

Cast from the bank if you can or wade if it's safe to do so. It's all about gently putting the fly in front of the feeding fish so however you choose to do it is up to you.

I wouldn't recommend a kayak - you need a proper lake boat to fish safely. There's a lot of movement involved and you'd capsize a kayak in no time.

You can get a float tube and hunt the fish in that but trout are very wary and and disturbance scares them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I fish a handful of mountain lakes in south Kerry all through the summer. Absolutely brilliant for a couple of reasons.

I have never met another person while fishing them - high in the mountains and a bit of a hike from the car and I'm in paradise.

They are a great place for fly fishing and a great place to learn how to fly fish. The trout have never really seen anything artificial and aren't that shy. Once the fly line isn't slapping down heavily they will hit the fly even when the leader refuses to sink. They take the fly spectacularly too - often jumping clean from the water.

From the original post though two very important points i must bring up. Don't wade! The mountain lakes in Kerry are of glacial origin and often have very steep slopes close to the bank into very very deep water. The shallower water by the banks is where the trout are anyway so carefully making your way along the bank can bring great results.

Don't use Kayak or float tube! By being high in the mountains winds can whip up strong gusts even on a calm day . Very dangerous especially if you are alone. You could find yourself in trouble quickly.

Trout aren't the biggest in the small mountain lakes but they are great fun and I've often spent a whole day catchment 7-8" trout and throughly enjoyed it. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I am hoping to go down to Kerry soon for a spot of fly fishing in the mountains. Have you the names of those high mountain lakes handy?? I would love to fish them. I hope they are not too much of a hike though as I am not very fit!

Regards,

Frank Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i used to do a bit of 'mountain' trout fishing a good few years back (getting too old and stiff now:D or maybe just lazy:)) anyway the above posts are spot on....i would not bother with float tubes or canoes or any of that mess....in such small mountain lakes trout are caught around the margins so often no need to go out into the middle.....just keep your casting as neat as you can a 9-10ft number 6 rod is ideal team of wet or dries as conditions permit..... but keep on the move roaming the shore and covering as much of the margins as you can.....as above generally you don't need to wade too far or deep (if you cant see the bottom don't put your foot there) its a great way to fish, often total peace and solitude.....as for the names of lakes (frank) and locations well that is the question, everyone has their own but anyone who fishes them probably (hopefully) has the sense not to publish their names on a public website....but you (the op) know your lake and the best of luck.

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I am hoping to go down to Kerry soon for a spot of fly fishing in the mountains. Have you the names of those high mountain lakes handy?? I would love to fish them. I hope they are not too much of a hike though as I am not very fit!

Hi Frank.

Best advice I can give you if you want to fish the mountain lakes is to head for Glencar. There is a lake around every corner and many of them are only a short distance from the car. A bit of exploring around the upper lakes of Killarney can also bring results. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭DogfoxCork

sorry to unearth an old thread but im trying to find out a few bits of info, I regularly go down fishing to glenbeigh/glencar area fishing for sea trout and brownies in the smaller lakes and rivers. im a member of 2 clubs down there but i can never find any information about the dozens of mountain lakes and rivers around. is there a permit to fish them? even the IFI wardens i asked didnt know about permits for them. Im assuming its just fish away and be responsible about take? maybe someone can shed some light on it for me.

I wouldn't recommend a kayak - you need a proper lake boat to fish safely. There's a lot of movement involved and you'd capsize a kayak in no time.

My my, how things change in 11 years :rolleyes:

Look at me now....... :D:D
    GOPR1671.jpg

Pike.jpg

Ferox-Trout.jpg

DogfoxCork wrote: »
    sorry to unearth an old thread but im trying to find out a few bits of info, I regularly go down fishing to glenbeigh/glencar area fishing for sea trout and brownies in the smaller lakes and rivers. im a member of 2 clubs down there but i can never find any information about the dozens of mountain lakes and rivers around. is there a permit to fish them? even the IFI wardens i asked didnt know about permits for them. Im assuming its just fish away and be responsible about take? maybe someone can shed some light on it for me.

Yeah the mountain lakes tend to be free fishing. Now I know the ones within the catchment of the main fisheries are permitted. i.e. the lakes in the upper Caragh system and upper Waterville system are or certainly used to be. Chatting to fellow members might be an idea or the secretary of the club's your in?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Lovely fish there pull and bag what size was the brownie im guessing about 11lb

bizidea wrote: »
    Lovely fish there pull and bag what size was the brownie im guessing about 11lb

Too awkward to try weigh him in a kayak, but yes, probably around 11-12lb.
    Here's the video of the catch & release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Stunning ferox congrats Mr bang!
    Dream

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Wow - beautiful trout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

SeaFields wrote: »
    I fish a handful of mountain lakes in south Kerry all through the summer. Absolutely brilliant for a couple of reasons.

I have never met another person while fishing them - high in the mountains and a bit of a hike from the car and I'm in paradise.

They are a great place for fly fishing and a great place to learn how to fly fish. The trout have never really seen anything artificial and aren't that shy. Once the fly line isn't slapping down heavily they will hit the fly even when the leader refuses to sink. They take the fly spectacularly too - often jumping clean from the water.

From the original post though two very important points i must bring up. Don't wade! The mountain lakes in Kerry are of glacial origin and often have very steep slopes close to the bank into very very deep water. The shallower water by the banks is where the trout are anyway so carefully making your way along the bank can bring great results.

Don't use Kayak or float tube! By being high in the mountains winds can whip up strong gusts even on a calm day . Very dangerous especially if you are alone. You could find yourself in trouble quickly.

Trout aren't the biggest in the small mountain lakes but they are great fun and I've often spent a whole day catchment 7-8" trout and throughly enjoyed it. Enjoy!

would most mountain lakes have trout in them? was only thinking of giving a few a go myself, some would be up to an hour hike to reach mind not an issue for me but don't want to be an idiot fishing on an empty lake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

would most mountain lakes have trout in them? was only thinking of giving a few a go myself, some would be up to an hour hike to reach mind not an issue for me but don't want to be an idiot fishing on an empty lake

You are never going to appear to be an idiot for fishing on an empty lake, because who is going to know the lake is empty? Even, if the lake is empty you still have the serenity of the act of fishing in tranquility in a mountain lake! You never lose with fishing.

To be honest there probably isn't a lake or river in the country without some head of trout (aside from ones wiped out by pollution and even those regenerate). Now having a big enough population of quality trout to make fishing worthwhile is another matter. But as stated what have you got to lose!....

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

SeaFields wrote: »
    To be honest there probably isn't a lake or river in the country without some head of trout (aside from ones wiped out by pollution and even those regenerate). Now having a big enough population of quality trout to make fishing worthwhile is another matter. But as stated what have you got to lose!....

I have yet to come across a mountain lake where the water quality is good that doesn't hold fish. As Seafields said its well worth trying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I have yet to come across a mountain lake where the water quality is good that doesn't hold fish. As Seafields said its well worth trying!!

I have, not all mountain lakes have areas or streams suitable for trout to spawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I have, not all mountain lakes have areas or streams suitable for trout to spawn.

I guess we are just lucky down this neck of the woods so.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I guess we are just lucky down this neck of the woods so.

Pretty much.

Advertisement