Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

NBA on TV and Online!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jokerrus

Wahey! Have it all installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

After a two year absense in which no regular season games were shown (Setanta Sports showed the playoffs last year) ESPN have now secured the rights to 100 live NBA games as well as other support programming
    LONDON – 30 SEPTEMBER 2009 – ESPN and the NBA today announced a multi-year agreement to add close to 100 live NBA games to ESPN in the UK and Ireland. In addition to the live games, ESPN networks will air the studio show NBA Fastbreak, the original series NBA Action and all-time great NBA games.

ESPN will tip off its NBA coverage on 6 October at 19h30 BST, live from The O2 arena in London, where the Utah Jazz will take on the Chicago Bulls as part of NBA Europe Live 2009 presented by EA SPORTS. In addition to the game in London, viewers will see the second NBA Europe Live game when the Utah Jazz take on Euroleague Basketball’s Real Madrid on 8 October at 19h45 BST in Madrid. *

ESPN’s full NBA games package has up to three games a week, including a weekly game on Sunday in primetime, the NBA All-Star Game, the Playoffs and The Finals in standard and high definition. The ESPN produced studio show, NBA Fastbreak, will air on both ESPN and ESPN America. NBA Action – the award-winning, original series that gives an inside look at gameday preparation of the league’s star athletes – will also be aired on ESPN. ESPN is available on Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Top Up TV, Tiscali and UPC (in Ireland).

“We are thrilled to be expanding our global relationship with ESPN and bringing fans increased coverage of the NBA,” said Sophie Goldschmidt, NBA EMEA Managing Director. “Through ESPN’s multiple channels, NBA games and highlights will now be available to a broader audience in the UK and Ireland.”

Jeroen Oerlemans, Vice President, TV Channels Europe, Middle East and Africa said, “The NBA is one of the world’s top sports properties, with some of the greatest athletes on the planet. This agreement allows us to deliver all of the action and excitement of the NBA to sports fans in the UK and Ireland. ESPN continues to build a fantastic offering of local and international sport. ”

Hopefully they make full use of HD. Knew it was worth it getting ESPN after all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Sea Devils wrote: »
    After a two year absense in which no regular season games were shown (Setanta Sports showed the playoffs last year) ESPN have now secured the rights to 100 live NBA games as well as other support programming

Yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

have to get ESPN now...can't convince my dad it's a worthy investment, maybe now I'll pay for it myself.

ESPN's first batch of live games

Seems to be a lot of Cavalliers games with only one Los AngelesLakers game but I suspect this could be down to the time difference between the East/West Coast and the fact that usually a Lakers home game wouldn't start until 3AM.

Not much to complain about though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

ESPN's first batch of live games

Seems to be a lot of Cavalliers games with only one Los AngelesLakers game but I suspect this could be down to the time difference between the East/West Coast and the fact that usually a Lakers home game wouldn't start until 3AM.

Not much to complain about though.

I think that could be some of the best pro basketball coverage this country has seen since the early 90's.. cant wait for the season to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Fookin great coverage again this year :rolleyes: , not one channel showing the season opener :( Bitter rivals Cavs with the Big Witness Protection :D v the Big 3 or is it Big 4 now of the Celts!
    Am I the only one that thinks its ridiculous that with hundreds of channels on Sky there's still ****ty NBA coverage! :mad:
    Fookin pathetic...sooner I emigrate from this country the better

jimmay wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks its ridiculous that with hundreds of channels on Sky there's still ****ty NBA coverage! :mad:

Did you not look at the article I linked to?. ESPN are showing 100 games a year which is plenty. Yeah TNT Thursday broadcasts would have been nice but it's still a lot better then the barren coverage of the last few years

Did you not look at the article I linked to?. ESPN are showing 100 games a year which is plenty. Yeah TNT Thursday broadcasts would have been nice but it's still a lot better then the barren coverage of the last few years

yeah true it's a huge improvement on the last few years, which like you said wouldn't be hard. I just think that given the capacity on satellite digital television with multiple club football channels, fitness channels, racing, motors etc. I would love a dedicated basketball channel such as NBA tv to be available. Some guarantee that the BIG games would definitely be shown. None of this fingers crossed I hope they show a decent game malarky with a bunch of trivial games.
    I don't know your experience but I find it hugely frustrating watching horrible streams of great games over the internet inly for the connection to get frozen or suspended.
    Is that really asking too much?

yeah true it's a huge improvement on the last few years, which like you said wouldn't be hard. I just think that given the capacity on satellite digital television with multiple club football channels, fitness channels, racing, motors etc. I would love a dedicated basketball channel such as NBA tv to be available. Some guarantee that the BIG games would definitely be shown. None of this fingers crossed I hope they show a decent game malarky with a bunch of trivial games.
    I don't know your experience but I find it hugely frustrating watching horrible streams of great games over the internet inly for the connection to get frozen or suspended.
    Is that really asking too much?

There hav been rumours about an NBA TV version coming here but personally I don't see that happening unfortunately since there wouldn't be much of a demand for it. I do see your point in that it is fustrating that the NBA is talking about potential European Franchise expansion when one of the services (League Pass) doesn't work apparently but I just think we're in a lucky situation considering the likes of Germany have no games whatsoever.

• Advertisement

There hav been rumours about an NBA TV version coming here but personally I don't see that happening unfortunately since there wouldn't be much of a demand for it. I do see your point in that it is fustrating that the NBA is talking about potential European Franchise expansion when one of the services (League Pass) doesn't work apparently but I just think we're in a lucky situation considering the likes of Germany have no games whatsoever.

Its a sham. The lack of decent, reliable, consistent NBA coverage is a disgrace. We are on the same frequency as the the UK satellites and to say there isn't demand between the UK & Ireland is outrageous.

I don't think that's the case with no German coverage. I see it's not listed on NBA.com but Here, I know it's an old link but I seem to remember looking on paddypower last year and discovered that there was live betting on games being broadcast on a German Sports channel.

I might e-mail Sky and ask them if they can approach NBA to carry the channel. It has to be worth a shot.

Just noticed Christmas day special double header "Orlando/Boston & Cavs/Lakers" is on though so happy days :D

Its a sham. The lack of decent, reliable, consistent NBA coverage is a disgrace. We are on the same frequency as the the UK satellites and to say there isn't demand between the UK & Ireland is outrageous.

I don't think that's the case with no German coverage. I see it's not listed on NBA.com but Here, I know it's an old link but I seem to remember looking on paddypower last year and discovered that there was live betting on games being broadcast on a German Sports channel.

I might e-mail Sky and ask them if they can approach NBA to carry the channel. It has to be worth a shot.

Just noticed Christmas day special double header "Orlando/Boston & Cavs/Lakers" is on though so happy days :D

The one thing I'd agree with you on is there has to be some form of FTA coverage now that Five has stopped showing it . I remember back when Jordan made his comeback with the Wizards that the BBC showed his first game in it's entirety live so it's a pity they didn't try and expand and show a few live games or highlight shows etc.

Thought I read somewhere that Germany had no live games but if I'm wrong then apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

Not sure if many are interested but I thought I'd post this up anyway.
    Last week UPC/NTL added a couple of extra channels to a lot of their packages -this is their digital service with the box for like €10 a month - not the basic analog. Most people will have noticed they added in ITV2,3 and 4
    They also however unlocked ESPN ( and ESPN Classic and ESPN America)- also - if you paid for it before - its now free

ESPN show a lot of college games from the US which are very good -
    They are also showing Live NBA games

Tonight its Hawks v Suns - Tip-off 01:00
    Anyway - I just thought some of you might be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

4 Games on LIVE back to back tonight on ESPN - Absolute feast of entertainment

9pm GSW v Bulls (Ellis doing well for Warriors and Rose and Deng both doing the business for the bulls)

11:30 Knicks v Pistons (Lee going through a purple patch at the moment for NYK)

01:00 Celtics v Mavs (Rondo Pierce and even Perkins playing well for Celtics with Nowitski is coming back to form after his injury)

03:30 Lakers v Magic - a repeat of last years finals (Kobe has not had a great run of games recently but the return of Gasol is changing things for him - Howard is not playing at the same level as last year though)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Dufresne wrote: »
    4 Games on LIVE back to back tonight on ESPN - Absolute feast of entertainment

9pm GSW v Bulls (Ellis doing well for Warriors and Rose and Deng both doing the business for the bulls)

11:30 Knicks v Pistons (Lee going through a purple patch at the moment for NYK)

01:00 Celtics v Mavs (Rondo Pierce and even Perkins playing well for Celtics with Nowitski is coming back to form after his injury)

03:30 Lakers v Magic - a repeat of last years finals (Kobe has not had a great run of games recently but the return of Gasol is changing things for him - Howard is not playing at the same level as last year though)

Knicks/Pistons isn't live according to their website. It's great to have Slam-Dunk Monday back

Bad news bloody ESPN want to marry Kobe Bryant...the last 5 ish games have featured the Lakers along with a couple more coming. Really sick of watching them. Note to ESPN check out Mr. James he's pretty good! :P

However good news and fair play to ESPN looks like they're showing the entire all star weekend (Rookie game,Dunk contest, etc.) in full over the weekend of Fri 12th Feb. This has the makings of a classic game given that it is being held in Cowboy stadium in front of 80,000 live fans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Bad news bloody ESPN want to marry Kobe Bryant...the last 5 ish games have featured the Lakers along with a couple more coming. Really sick of watching them. Note to ESPN check out Mr. James he's pretty good! :P

However good news and fair play to ESPN looks like they're showing the entire all star weekend (Rookie game,Dunk contest, etc.) in full over the weekend of Fri 12th Feb. This has the makings of a classic game given that it is being held in Cowboy stadium in front of 80,000 live fans :D

You're right, the entire All-Star weekend is on ESPN

List of upcoming fixtures here: http://tv.espn.co.uk/sports-on-espn/nba/fixtures/

Anybody using ILP (International League Pass)?
    Interested to know if the streaming is any better than last year. There is no daily or free pass to test it. I spoke to one of their reps on the online help who in fairness to him informed me that the demos are not really representative of actual live streaming. On top of that out of the 5 games, 2 of them didn't load up for me.

Watching the Cavs game now and it gets a bit annoying at this time of night squinting to make out each player! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dylan12

that sounds good will email now!:D

anyone know whats up with the tv coverage?

I don't see any listing on ESPN at all for the next week :confused:
    Only NBA Tonight, no games showing?

Bleedin typical whopper Heat/Celts series and coverage falls off the face of the earth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I think TNT have most of the games 1 and 2 in each series, was watching the previews on nba.com and ESPN have 2 of the later games in the Heat/Celtics series, like game 3 and 5.

Well according to nba.com game 3 is listed for sat 7th may at 8pm ET. and I've just checked and searched SKY/ESPN programme guide and nothing.

Ah the joys of being an NBA fan in Ireland :mad:

ESPN have shown live TNT Thursday and playoff games though so I don't think it's down to that. They're just all over the place with the live coverage.

I don't understand how they can suddenly have no live games for this week after showing most of the first round playoff series. Talk about alienating the fanbase :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Seems to have eveything :)

Seems to have eveything :)

My bad :pac:

www.realsportz.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

ESPN had updated there listings there are 2 games tonight and 2 tomorrow night haven't checked the rest of the week yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Fellas, which espn station is showing Heat-Celtics tonight?? I have Espn & Espn America & it ain't on either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

My bad - starting now ... Yay :)

• Advertisement

AH BOULDERDASH!
    missed it fuggin espn fuggers! :(

There is a few games this week (2 Lakers games & the third Celts/Heat game)

Ah well I can only take what I can get! :rolleyes:

Advertisement