Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van conversion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No changes that I’m aware of.

Could not find clear list of spec. Converting vw shuttle to day camper due to covid restrictions on no camping this summer. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Look at an L4H3 size Ducato/Boxer/Relay. Will fit 2 transverse full size bunks with ease in the back end.

If you splash out on a double rear seat bed you’d even get all you need into an L3H2 but it would be tight

I’ve been over ruled on double bunks across the back to sleep 4.

I’m messing about on paper to see cam I put single bunks across the back and a rock and roll bed opposite the side door for another two to sleep and as passenger seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eamonn13

hi, building a vw crafter lwb high roof into a camper, cant see any info on the bed. does it need to be 6ft or can on be mounted sideways in the van. will have one window per side with solar and gas. Is there anything that i should be looking out for when changing over. will have the table, cooker, and a seat fitted and the double front seat will turn.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Crafter isn’t wide enough at bed height to mount the bed sideways. More like 5’8 or 5’9.
    That’s why a lot of them have an expensive pop-out pod to give it extra width.

We have managed to get a 6’6 mattress sideways into a Ducato. If you’re looking at a full size transverse bed in a panel van, you’d really need a Ducato/Boxer/Relay.

D7469-F2-A-7448-4-B09-A56-E-33-AF9-E585-F4-D.jpg

thanks for message, i know its not wide enough for 6ft bed , but can make a custom bed to fit, more is it a requirement to have a full 6ft bed.. ill curl up or wear steel toed boots if not lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No, there’s no minimum size or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

eamonn13 wrote: »
    thanks for message, i know its not wide enough for 6ft bed , but can make a custom bed to fit, more is it a requirement to have a full 6ft bed.. ill curl up or wear steel toed boots if not lol.

My bed is 2" shorter than me, it's not that big a problem really. Sleep on your side, or sleep diagonal?

Depends how tall you are :D

thanks, gives me more options, like your cut out for the headliner at front.. tidies it up well.

im 5'10 so will not be bad, I curl up like a dog anyways... mrs not so much.. that seems like a her problem though lol.

eamonn13 wrote: »
    im 5'10 so will not be bad, I curl up like a dog anyways... mrs not so much.. that seems like a her problem though lol.

Assume spooning position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

What ballpark will it cost on VRT to change the title on the logbook to a camper if the van is a 2008 VW Transporter, anyone know?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

What ballpark will it cost on VRT to change the title on the logbook to a camper if the van is a 2008 VW Transporter, anyone know?
    Thanks.

I've "heard" figures of €700 - €4000. I think if you do a high end all singing and dancing conversion then I'd imagine revenue will charge accordingly. I'm currently doing a T4, with just the minimum requirements and take it from there.
    Maybe someone here has recently done a T5?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think it matters that much about a minimal vs maximal conversion. Revenue have copped on to that loophole.

nophd08 wrote: »
    I've "heard" figures of €700 - €4000. I think if you do a high end all singing and dancing conversion then I'd imagine revenue will charge accordingly. I'm currently doing a T4, with just the minimum requirements and take it from there.
    Maybe someone here has recently done a T5?

So say it would be 2000 thereabouts, how much for the engineer to inspect it?

So say it would be 2000 thereabouts, how much for the engineer to inspect it?

Haven't got that far yet. Few lads on here have got the sqi inspection done, don't think it's too much.

Haven't got that far yet. Few lads on here have got the sqi inspection done, don't think it's too much.

Would it be just easier to leave it classified as a commercial vehicle? ie stealth camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would it be just easier to leave it classified as a commercial vehicle? ie stealth camping.

That sounds good until something goes wrong.
    Remember that question that insurers ask you on the phone?
    "is the vehicle modified?"
    That question is key because they are basing their risk on your declaration.
    If you state that its modified and has bunks and a cooker etc in the back and get insurance that way then it is fine as a declared modification.
    Ask in the Insurance section if you want clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

My transit is just shy of the full size bed transverse. Its just shy of the 1.8 meters for a standard mattress, which means I'm ever so lightly too tall for it.

That said, i'd lose a lot of space in the van by going lengthways, and I won't be sleeping in it all year round. I only sleep on my side, so thinking that it should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If the other half is shorter you might get away with diagonal bed. I'm 182 tall and the bed is 187 I find with the shorter bed when you go to turn over in your sleep you straighten out and toes clip the wall often wakes me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Besides the insurance problems, I hear that the CVRT can refuse to test your vehicle if it's kitted out as a camper too.

• Advertisement

atahuapla wrote: »
    Besides the insurance problems, I hear that the CVRT can refuse to test your vehicle if it's kitted out as a camper too.

They couldn't refuse it with just bare carpet in the back though?

And windows?

They're the ones that test these vehicles

They're the ones that test these vehicles

He/she means they wont test it if its taxed as a commercial and kitted out in the back.

Mine is a stealth camper, though you'd notice the solar panel, rooflights, and shore power socket on the side. Ran through the CVRT no problems. No questions asked.
    He/she means they wont test it if its taxed as a commercial and kitted out in the back.
    You don't need tax to CVRT.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Mine is a stealth camper, though you'd notice the solar panel, rooflights, and shore power socket on the side. Ran through the CVRT no problems. No questions asked.

You don't need tax to CVRT.

Do you have side windows though?

Do you have side windows though?

I do not.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I do not.

I thought a minimum of one side window was part of the requirement for classification? Maybe I'm wrong?

I thought a minimum of one side window was part of the requirement for classification? Maybe I'm wrong?

Its in the guidelines as "expected" - interpret that at your will
    It is expected that the living accommodation space in the rear compartment would have side windows. Where cooking is by means of gas, a Gas Installer Certificate should also be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 textexas

Hi all just wondering about a certain section of the revenue page on campers.

"Vehicles are 'day vans' and do not qualify as motor caravans if the modifications do not sufficiently alter the interior of the rear compartment.

Likewise, vehicles are 'day vans' if they only modify the boot storage area to provide exterior access to cooking facilities. Revenue will not accept a candidate in which the living facilities are reasonably accessible only from outside the vehicle."

So this means if I do not fulfil all the requirements it would be classed as a 'Day Van'?

What would the cons be of the van being classed as a Day Van rather than a Motor Caravan?

• Advertisement

textexas wrote: »

What would the cons be of the van being classed as a Day Van rather than a Motor Caravan?

There is no category for "Day Van", so it's still a regular car or van for insurance, NCT/DOE and tax purposes.

Advertisement