Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'm happy enough with the team. Quite frankly if we were to play our academy vs Leinster's it's a 50 point loss every time and there's nothing to really gain from that. There's senior players mixed in there that need minutes and the younger guys will learn from playing along side them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Looks like both sides are using it as a replacements game with the upcoming season and international break in mind in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

launish116 wrote: »
    Agreed little bit of senior experience will help!

Think Faddes has suffered a lot from lack of continuity, constantly being rotated and starting in different positions. He was our top try scorer last season? Would love him to come good, but so much quality in academy he’s blocking.

Treadwell looks like he has almost fallen out of favour, but he does need game time.
    Treadwell is a far better player than either of the O'Connors. Let's face it...and Carter on his showings. Treadwell has what it takes tro be a really top player. McFarland should invest heavily in his development this season. He is a big unit with pace and skill and not afaid to get his hands dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

jacothelad wrote: »
    Treadwell is a far better player than either of the O'Connors. Let's face it...and Carter on his showings. Treadwell has what it takes tro be a really top player. McFarland should invest heavily in his development this season. He is a big unit with pace and skill and not afaid to get his hands dirty.

Completely agree, just thought it was strange for him to be dropped for one final and bench the other. O’Connor seems to be rated higher, though I suppose they offer different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

AOC is the closest we've got to a dirty slab of TH second row. As good as Henderson is, he's naturally more in a lighter, athletic LH lock mould. As is Carter, as is Treadwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Are any fans allowed into the Benetton match next week?

I know England have extended the ban on supporters until potentially March, but I haven't heard anything about NI. I think there were about 500 at the Irish Cup Final back at the start of August...obviously things have taken a turn for the worse in recent weeks, but there hasn't been much clarification on this to my knowledge.

My personal opinion is that you could easily get 500 to 1,000 into Kingspan safely and more than maintain social distancing, but maybe it isn't economically viable?

Edit - I see from the Ulster website that a proposal was submitted to DfC about using Kingspan for a test event and they are awaiting a response.

I suspect politically it will be difficult for the Executive to give it the go ahead at the minute, hopefully not...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    Are any fans allowed into the Benetton match next week?

I know England have extended the ban on supporters until potentially March, but I haven't heard anything about NI. I think there were about 500 at the Irish Cup Final back at the start of August...obviously things have taken a turn for the worse in recent weeks, but there hasn't been much clarification on this to my knowledge.

My personal opinion is that you could easily get 500 to 1,000 into Kingspan safely and more than maintain social distancing, but maybe it isn't economically viable?

Edit - I see from the Ulster website that a proposal was submitted to DfC about using Kingspan for a test event and they are awaiting a response.

I suspect politically it will be difficult for the Executive to give it the go ahead at the minute, hopefully not...

Maths will probably bite me but 500 people paying 30quid will only bring in 15,000 less fees. Would 15,000 pay for stewards, security extra cleaning. I don’t think so, the numbers would have to be a good bit higher before it’s not costing a Ulster money to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

salmocab wrote: »
    Maths will probably bite me but 500 people paying 30quid will only bring in 15,000 less fees. Would 15,000 pay for stewards, security extra cleaning. I don’t think so, the numbers would have to be a good bit higher before it’s not costing a Ulster money to run.
    stewards in a few of the provincial grounds arent paid. Security, cleaning on contracts so mightnt be major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

stewards in a few of the provincial grounds arent paid. Security, cleaning on contracts so mightnt be major issue.

Still though I’d imagine the cost of having fans in is well north of 15k. There is obviously a takings point that will make it worth while, I can see that they’ll probably do a few games with smaller crowds even losing a few quid to prove it’s doable but Only if they think it will actually lead somewhere.

Doak on the bench now as well.

• Advertisement

If that had happened at club level they'd probably have been kicked out of the competition!

0-0 after 11 minutes in the A game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bill Johnston under the sticks. 7-0.

The wheels are off Leinster rugby.

Still 7-0 after 38 mins

According to Murray Kinsella on Twitter, David McCann has been a standout as has Stewart Moore.

Ethan McIlroy went off injured after 20 mins

Tommy O'Brien seemingly going well for Leinster

7-7 at half time...Max Deegan with the try

Great to hear, particularly those two going well. Leinster have some very good players in there so that's a decent scoreline, even if we did go for a comparatively stronger side than them.

bilston wrote: »
    7-7 at half time...Max Deegan with the try

Sounding like a good game! Hopefully Ulster can keep it up in second half!

• Advertisement

Jack Dunne apparently going well.

I get the impression that Ulster seem to have had more pressure, but Leinster defended well and obviously got their reward at the end of the half.

Going by twitter does seem that way!

Murray Kinsella at the game so hopefully good write up after!

Well well well, another Ulster win. Never in doubt. I've watched Ulster A get hammered too many times over the last couple of years and they pull this off without a stream ffs. Hopefully Murray Kinsella will put up a more detailed report or a few clips.

Very good win indeed. 29-14

Fair play to Murray Kinsella for the tweets.

Sounds as though it was well deserved.

"while the Ulster back row of David McCann, Marcus Rea, and Greg Jones were outstanding. That trio combined strong work in contact with smart decision-making, good footwork, and sharp handling."

Please don't play with my heart.

https://www.the42.ie/tony-drennan-luxembourg-queens-5214611-Sep2020/

Lad in an unusual situation, but God knows we can't turn our nose up at any second row with talent. If he's good enough in a couple of years, he could bump out Carter.

Were there no subs used in last nights game?

Lad in an unusual situation, but God knows we can't turn our nose up at any second row with talent. If he's good enough in a couple of years, he could bump out Carter.

Very interesting, someone with a brain and want about them! Stade sniffing around also, can’t be a bad thing.

Be great to get another no8/2nd row playing. He’s capped which could be an issue if he turns out good!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is it really worth using up an NIQ spot for a lad that's playing AIL level and only had less than a year in the Stade academy and was released though?

You're likely not going to get more than 2 contracts out of the IRFU for him either because he's been capped elsewhere so wouldn't be a long term thing

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »
    Were there no subs used in last nights game?

Very interesting, someone with a brain and want about them! Stade sniffing around also, can’t be a bad thing.

Be great to get another no8/2nd row playing. He’s capped which could be an issue if he turns out good!

It will turn out to be an issue. Interesting story, but not much relevance to Ulster at this stage...who knows in the future.

There were subs last night, they will be listed on the one of the match reports.

Advertisement