Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for online resources for LC French?

Options
  • 22-09-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭

I've been teaching LC French off and on for many years. I would always get my HL groups to subscribe to something as I feel that it really is necessary to supplement the classroom in order to really progress in a language. I used to have my students subscribe to Authentik magazine, now defunct, Francais Plus magazine, also gone out of circulation and more recently to Online Language Resources which was run by a guy called Hugh Nagle in Cork. But it also appears to have ceased operations.

OLR used to have really good reading and listening material with a glossary of terms. Excellent for self study and students would subscribe about €10 for the year in a one off payment. I'm really disappointed it's no longer available.

So could anybody recommend something similar please? I have a very good and very motivated group but they definitely need something more.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

acequion wrote: »
    I've been teaching LC French off and on for many years. I would always get my HL groups to subscribe to something as I feel that it really is necessary to supplement the classroom in order to really progress in a language. I used to have my students subscribe to Authentik magazine, now defunct, Francais Plus magazine, also gone out of circulation and more recently to Online Language Resources which was run by a guy called Hugh Nagle in Cork. But it also appears to have ceased operations.

OLR used to have really good reading and listening material with a glossary of terms. Excellent for self study and students would subscribe about €10 for the year in a one off payment. I'm really disappointed it's no longer available.

So could anybody recommend something similar please? I have a very good and very motivated group but they definitely need something more.

Thanks for any help.

Hugh Nagle has new editions of Franćais plus or whatever he is calling it now. It's €20 for two magazines which I think is very expensive. I used his online languages when I first started out - it was a good idea but it was expensive and I don't think the students used it and they all got good higher level grades.

To be honest, I don't ask students to buy anything other than exam papers. In the days we are living in, we don't know what is going on in a students home. When I started in my school, there were loads of books on the booklist, i removed all except textbook and exam papers. If a student wants extra material they will ask you for it or find it themselves. That will be rare.

There are lots of free websites that may interest your students lepetitjournaldublin is good, 1jour1actu etc. students have loads of materials and most important is to practice exam papers. If you're on Facebook, there are two or three useful pages and one run by an author of a leaving cert book which is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Hugh Nagle has new editions of Franćais plus or whatever he is calling it now. It's €20 for two magazines which I think is very expensive. I used his online languages when I first started out - it was a good idea but it was expensive and I don't think the students used it and they all got good higher level grades.

To be honest, I don't ask students to buy anything other than exam papers. In the days we are living in, we don't know what is going on in a students home. When I started in my school, there were loads of books on the booklist, i removed all except textbook and exam papers. If a student wants extra material they will ask you for it or find it themselves. That will be rare.

There are lots of free websites that may interest your students lepetitjournaldublin is good, 1jour1actu etc. students have loads of materials and most important is to practice exam papers. If you're on Facebook, there are two or three useful pages and one run by an author of a leaving cert book which is excellent.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and thanks for the info. Yes I am on facebook so if you could point me towards those pages you refer to I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks a lot.:)

I would beg to differ though on the need for extra resources. I think languages are the one subject area where extra input is needed for a high grade. I've had good experiences with the online Language Resources site. I would get my students to choose an article and do a brief opinion question on it with focus on what new vocab /expressions they learned. It did work very well and they liked it. But I fully agree that €20 for two magazines is crazy. And having looked at it it's more like a big revision course all rolled into one and would only provide more work for the teacher. So forgot that! Another free one that looks good is "French accent magazine" so I might direct them there.

I have a good group with great potential so trying to get them more into it. As the poor things have almost no social life this year I might just succeed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Lepointdufle.net
    Leplaisirdapprendre.com

These two are not geared to the LC at all - nor any exam in particular; if anything, they're aimed more at native-speaker FLE teachers - but they offer lots of free resources, graded by CEFR level. Some of them might be useable?

Advertisement