Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

R.I.P Kobe Bryant

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Hoboo

LL believes that in the current era vs 2003, the level of ridicule and negative media attention that befell Paddy Jackson for example may have also happened Kobe.

This negative media attention would have led to an inability to attain that heights that he subsequently reached is about the jist of the rationale for discussion I believe.

I remember the furore in 2003 moreso than Paddy Jackson. It was massive. To a non basketball player/fan living outside the states it probably went unnoticed. Leave him at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,688 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Also Dom2k, man...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

One huge takeaway from this whole thing has been how absolutely dreadful news reporting(particularly online) has become. BBCs fvck up aside, I've seen dozens of articles of absolute rubbish ranging from clickbait to just flat out misinformation.

Is it just me or has reporting, sport or otherwise, completely nosedived in the last 10 year's? The crossover of social media and news has been an absolute disaster. It's lead to some dangerously misinformed/misled people.

Most of my colleagues know I have a background in basketball so have been talking to me about Kobe over lunch etc and the amount of incorrect information I've had fed back to me has been unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭ Prince Uneven Polygamist

Gregk961 wrote: »
    One huge takeaway from this whole thing has been how absolutely dreadful news reporting(particularly online) has become. BBCs fvck up aside, I've seen dozens of articles of absolute rubbish ranging from clickbait to just flat out misinformation.

Is it just me or has reporting, sport or otherwise, completely nosedived in the last 10 year's? The crossover of social media and news has been an absolute disaster. It's lead to some dangerously misinformed/misled people.

Most of my colleagues know I have a background in basketball so have been talking to me about Kobe over lunch etc and the amount of incorrect information I've had fed back to me has been unbelievable.

There's been quite a bit of research around sentiment type analysis in media generally and the research shows it has become more pessimistic in recent decades.

I believe it began to move more towards greater levels of pessimism since around the 70s or 80s. I think given the exposure to endless streams of information in the current era, media in all forms need to push the boundaries of shock in order to generate a response. That means misinformation of course.

Its not specific to sport as it can be seen across many mediums but it would be interesting to know if sports journalism has been as badly infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Gregk961 wrote: »

Its the rush to get things out there asap, i.e be the first on social media etc with poor editing and fact checking sadly a casualty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,351 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think that the "journalism" in the kobe bryant has left a lot to be desired to say the least. I mean Rick fox telling of how his friend rang him in tears because he'd heard the reports that he was on the helicopter is horrific. Also, ABC news(one of the big three networks) reported that all his daughters were dead as well was shocking for a network with such a long history of doing good news. As was mentioned in the post above me, the need to be first has become more important than being correct.

Advertisement