Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you should always check your bookmakers limits.

Options
  • 29-07-2020 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭

Mate has been backing 4 numbers on the Euromillions with Boylesports for the last while.
    I just happen to look on the back of the slip and noticed their max payout.
    4 numbers with Boyles, the maximum you can win is €250,000.
    Doing the same 4 number bet with Ladbrokes, their max payout is €500,000 and with Paddy Power, their max payout is €1 million.

Strange max payout limit from the 2nd biggest bookie in the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Mate has been backing 4 numbers on the Euromillions with Boylesports for the last while.
    I just happen to look on the back of the slip and noticed their max payout.
    4 numbers with Boyles, the maximum you can win is €250,000.
    Doing the same 4 number bet with Ladbrokes, their max payout is €500,000 and with Paddy Power, their max payout is €1 million.
    Strange max payout limit from the 2nd biggest bookie in the country.
    1/4mill for a 4ball hotpick is a decent enough limit, even surprised it was this high, as many novelty type considered markets would have a default limit of 100k or so.

//Edit: Actually in their (PP) T&C's it states 300k max for 'all other lotteries' under point 12, even the native Ire lotto is set to max at 500k. Think Lads is 250k max return.
    Only Bet365 apear to offer the 1m max lotto win (per any 24hrs).

Up to the punter to be aware of all this. A simple workaround would be to stake €7.57 per line, across (x4) vendors/outlets to secure the 1m target at 33,000/1

Not sure anyway you'd want to lash +30notes per line selection, on a 4ball luckylottodip, unless you've extrasensory projection capabilities across time-space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

1/4mill for a 4ball hotpick is a decent enough limit, even surprised it was this high, as many novelty type considered markets would have a default limit of 100k or so.

//Edit: Actually in their (PP) T&C's it states 300k max for 'all other lotteries' under point 12, even the native Ire lotto is set to max at 500k. Think Lads is 250k max return.
    Only Bet365 apear to offer the 1m max lotto win (per any 24hrs).

Paddy Power shop rules state for Lotto/Numbers betting, the maximum that can be won on a Lotto bet depends on the event as set out in the table below.
    Euro Lotto & Paddy's millions is €1 million.
    UK & Irish Lotto draws it's €500,000.
    All other number related games it's €100,000.

Up to the punter to be aware of all this. A simple workaround would be to stake €7.57 per line, across (x4) vendors/outlets to secure the 1m target at 33,000/1

Although it would need to be different people placing the bets in different branches of the same establishment as max payout is per customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Probably not so much the norm these days, but I would assume there is (just about) enough novelty left that they would payout over their max for publicity.

The wider issue with these limits, is that punters can and do reguarly overstake accums, where they wouldnt pay you the amount if it won, which begs the question should they not have to refund you over this limit or put guards in place to stop you over staking.

E.g. if i do a lucky 63 at cheltenham next year on six 10/1 shots, the 6fold alone pays 1.7m/1, which means a stake of 0.57 hits the 1m payout limit.

Should you be allowed stake over that .57 a line?

And

Should the bookmaker be allowed keep your stake, when as per their limits they were never taking on the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Healio wrote: »
    Probably not so much the norm these days, but I would assume there is (just about) enough novelty left that they would payout over their max for publicity.

The wider issue with these limits, is that punters can and do reguarly overstake accums, where they wouldnt pay you the amount if it won, which begs the question should they not have to refund you over this limit or put guards in place to stop you over staking.

E.g. if i do a lucky 63 at cheltenham next year on six 10/1 shots, the 6fold alone pays 1.7m/1, which means a stake of 0.57 hits the 1m payout limit.

And

Should the bookmaker be allowed keep your stake, when as per their limits they were never taking on the risk?

If one wins in a gamble is this still unenforceable in Irish Contract Law. This certainly was the Law in the past unless it has been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

And

The onus is on the punter to check.

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    The onus is on the punter to check.

I'm not trying to dispute this. Just making an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Largely irrelevant even if shops apply a much larger max payout than online, who in their right mind is going to go over 7.50, and stick €30.30 on a single 4 ball hotpick line selection?
    A EM 4 baller is in 46,060/1 = 33k

If super confident on number selection (either through LOLNs application, or a glitch in the time-space matrix) may as well go for a guaranteed solid 1m target, using 5 balls (per low 1.50 stake).
    However this 5 baller is 2,118,760/1 = 1m

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Si1965

And

I am sure the bookie would be happy to refund the .43 you have overspent

Si1965 wrote: »
    I am sure the bookie would be happy to refund the .43 you have overspent

well if it is .43 a line thats 27.09.

Advertisement