Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you ever hit a woman?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

bunderoon wrote: »
    Why do you intentionally ignore what has been said here time and time again.
    No one advocates violence. The ONLY time people are saying here that they would defend themselves against another person is if they have no other option. That's it. Nothing else.
    You were not the only person here that was brought up well and raised to respect people. Do you hate men or something? Were you bullied? Its the only thing that would make sense if you are calling men brutes for defending themselves.

Guna have to leave this nonsensical over and back.
    Simply, no one should attack another person. If they do, they must be prepared for the consequences. No one thinks its OK to beat the ****e out of a woman - even if in defence. Period.

I’m not ignoring anything. I’m saying that I wouldn’t encourage men to hit back thinking they had a right to and claim self defence. That’s unlikely to wash with any Gardaí I know.

I’m not calling men brutes for defending themselves. I think you know I was specifically referring to men who hit women. They can say they were defending themselves all they want, I wouldn’t be any more likely to see that as a justification for their behaviour.

Unfortunately there are men who think it’s ok to beat the shìt out of women, and it’s that small minority of men are used as a stick to beat the majority of men with, when in reality the attitude that it’s ok to hit women would only be shared by a tiny minority of people in Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

joe40 wrote: »
    If a woman just slapped me and no further attack was forthcoming and I was in no further danger then no I would not hit back. I would report the incident as assault and follow it up.

If I was under a sustained attack and could get injured I believe hitting back in self defense to stop the attack would be justified.
    Yep its really that simple. If I'm under a sustained attack I'm going to defend myself. Gender wouldn't even come into it.

You have said plenty. None of it logical. I'm not moving the goalposts at all. The link shows a man being murdered. You replied that it still didn't count.

In my case I am incompetent because I was injured and had to use force on a woman.

There's a lot of internet warriors ok, your clearly one of them with your online expertise in restrain and police work. Carry on internet ninja

You are moving the goalposts. Mister Vain asked what happened to the officers who don’t use violence, and you twisted what I said as if I had said officers who don’t defend themselves or use force get hurt badly or lose the prisoner -

No, the ones that don't defend themselves or use force get hurt badly and lose the prisoner.

You have said numerous times now, you don't consider anything that's being faced as reason to hit a woman. I linked to a case where a man was stabbed to death by a woman and your reply was, that it was still not a valid reason. The man was murdered ffs!

Is that your opinion and what makes you an expert? What's the background?

As for your link where a man was stabbed to death by a woman, what’s that supposed to be saying? The man is dead. I didn’t reply that it wasn’t a valid reason because I didn’t say anything about it previously. Clearly his attacker was making sure he would have very slim opportunity to defend himself, let alone attack her -

The 39-year-old was stabbed as he tried to start his car at 7am in the estate.

And for what it’s worth, I don’t need to be an expert either in policing or the Irish law or self defence or any of that stuff to know that men could leave themselves open to being charged with assault if they think all bets are off because she threw the first punch or made the first stab. Am I wrong?

In your case I said I had questions, but none of those would paint your competency in a positive light. You’re not incompetent because you were injured and had to use force on a woman. It’s just that I don’t think you could provide any answers that would paint you in a more competent light given the way you already presented that scenario.

No online expertise or ninja skills required, no blowhard nonsense required either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

What? No. How many times now - I’m speaking of the behaviour of men.

Don’t do Cathy Newman on it and say that I believe there are circumstances where a woman can hit a man. No there aren’t, just the same as there are no circumstances where it’s acceptable for a man to hit a woman.

A man who chooses to do that, they’re a scumbag IMO.

Actually you're speaking a load of old tosh cos you refuse to acknowledge the simple idea of self defence where a man is attacked unprovoked by a woman, and simply trying to defend his own life. You fail to separate this from an case where a man is needlessly attacking a woman. It's all the same coin to you, when it isn't! One is violence for the sake of violence, the other is sufficient violence to defend yourself!

It's attitudes like this that make it difficult for victims of domestic abuse (both women AND MEN) to come forward and seek help. Or are you that backward that you believe there's no such thing as abusive relationships where the abuser is the woman and the victim the man?

I don’t need to be an expert either in policing or the Irish law or self defence or any of that stuff to know that men could leave themselves open to being charged with assault if they think all bets are off because she threw the first punch or made the first stab. Am I wrong?.

Not a single person, not one has said that. Not a single person has mentioned striking a woman for no reason and not a single person has mentioned hitting a woman multiple times without need.

YOU have tried to bring that in, in an attempt to defend your argument. Your argument being that's it's never acceptable under any circumstances for a man to hit a woman and anyone, including myself are cowards for hitting a woman. Your words by the way.

You have stated that multiple times. You have also repeatedly claimed that a man hitting BACK would have him open to assault charges. That's not true. You do not know the law so shouldn't make statements like that.

You have spoken absolute nonsense here. Not a single other person be they male or female has agreed with you. No one agreed with you when you tried to slag me off either. Of course you spoke like an absolute authority on that one as well. Speaking about the best police and there results of those that do not use violence in their jobs. When in reality you haven't a clue.

Now, as you are not an expert in any area that's remotely connected to the issue, perhaps be more open minded about it and stop correcting people because when it's you against the world, it's probable you that's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

If I were fighting her for the world boxing championship and was behind on points needing a good couple of rounds to get back into contention I would, on the serious side of it, there is no advantage to be gained by violence, and in 44 years on earth I have managed to avoid it so far, would not do your brain any good if you did it, and had to think about what you had done, unless I was attacked, and I don't mean physically, I mean with weapons, knives sticks, etc no. If I was attacked by a woman with a knife, I would probably stab her with it, on the basis that if you start it, you are fair game, that's not an action man or rambo reply, just an observation.

Not a single person, not one has said that. Not a single person has mentioned striking a woman for no reason and not a single person has mentioned hitting a woman multiple times without need.

YOU have tried to bring that in, in an attempt to defend your argument. Your argument being that's it's never acceptable under any circumstances for a man to hit a woman.

You have stated that multiple times. You have also repeatedly claimed that a man hitting BACK would have him open to assault charges. That's not true.

You have spoken absolute nonsense here. Not a single other person be they male or female has agreed with you. No one agreed with you when you tried to slag me off either.

Now, as you are not an expert in any area that's remotely connected to the issue, perhaps be more open minded about it because when it's you against the world, it's probable you that's wrong.

I said it could leave men open to being charged with assault, and it could.

I didn’t have to bring it in to defend anything as I’m not declaring my own opinion that a man who chooses to hit a woman is a scumbag has any legal standing in the first place.

As you imagine yourself to be an expert in the area, that’s why you imagine your opinions are the only ones that matter, no need to be telling me to be more open minded when I can provide evidence to back up my opinions, which is why I don’t need to take you at your word.

I didn’t have to bring it in to defend anything as I’m not declaring my own opinion that a man who chooses to hit a woman is a scumbag has any legal standing in the first place.

As you imagine yourself to be an expert in the area, that’s why you imagine your opinions are the only ones that matter, no need to be telling me to be more open minded when I can provide evidence to back up my opinions, which is why I don’t need to take you at your word.

So wtf do you expect a man to do then if attacked by a woman?? Stand there and take it??

"Oh hi there ma'am. I notice you're stabbing me with a knife. I don't want to face the possibility of being charged with assault, so I'm just gonna sit down and let you have your jollies".

Get a grip.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Actually you're speaking a load of old tosh cos you refuse to acknowledge the simple idea of self defence where a man is attacked unprovoked by a woman, and simply trying to defend his own life. You fail to separate this from an case where a man is needlessly attacking a woman. It's all the same coin to you, when it isn't! One is violence for the sake of violence, the other is sufficient violence to defend yourself!

No, you’re trying to draw a distinction as if the only means of self defence is to hit back. It’s not. You can do all the “but what about this scenario, or that scenario, or the other scenario” you want but in reality those are all hypothetical cases, and still the same thing as I’m saying would stand. It won’t matter “who started it” or any of the rest of that nonsense.

It's attitudes like this that make it difficult for victims of domestic abuse (both women AND MEN) to come forward and seek help. Or are you that backward that you believe there's no such thing as abusive relationships where the abuser is the woman and the victim the man?

Do you think I’m that backward that I think you’re the least bit sincere about the above? :rolleyes:

No, you’re trying to draw a distinction as if the only means of self defence is to hit back. It’s not. You can do all the “but what about this scenario, or that scenario, or the other scenario” you want but in reality those are all hypothetical cases, and still the same thing as I’m saying would stand. It won’t matter “who started it” or any of the rest of that nonsense.

Do you think I’m that backward that I think you’re the least bit sincere about the above? :rolleyes:

No sh*t Sherlock. But if a woman comes lunging at you with a knife, are you gonna stand there and take it or try and defend yourself??

SORRY FOR BEING HYPOTHETICAL, GEEZ!

• Advertisement

No sh*t Sherlock. But if a woman comes lunging at you with a knife, are you gonna stand there and take it or try and defend yourself??

I wouldn't worry about it, if you read back I gave him two actual situations and apparently they weren't good enough justification either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, I know. And in this hypothetical case of this specific woman coming at me with intent to do violence, she's going down.

Huge amount of women will jump in on the understanding they won't be hit. Might b pushed or manhandled a bit but won't be hit. If you were to thump a woman as you suggest you might in my sight I'd probably turn on you and I'm neither an easy scrap nor alone in my philosophy.

More gibberish.

I actually am an expert but I haven't claimed anyone's opinions to be wrong, just yours. That's because it is. It's complete and utter ****e as just about every single other person in this thread thinks.

You’re obviously having trouble with the difference between defending oneself and attacking another person. But Irish law is pretty clear on what is considered reasonable force in defending oneself from attack -

(4) The fact that a person had an opportunity to retreat before using force shall be taken into account, in conjunction with other relevant evidence, in determining whether the use of force was reasonable.

Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997, S.20

I’m gonna get the fcuk out of there would be my first thought tbh.

Or, you know, just ban the troll OP for starting this hateful ****.

I guess he just gets hits and no one has the balls to ban him.

More gibberish.

I actually am an expert but I haven't claimed anyone's opinions to be wrong, just yours. That's because it is. It's complete and utter ****e as just about every single other person in this thread thinks.

Why would an expert be linking to an article where the male victim was murdered then?

We don’t charge dead people with criminal offences?

The woman who attacked him was being charged with murder in any case, not assault.

Why would you agreeing with every other person on this thread make your opinions any more important? I’ll take their opinions with the same weight I’ll give yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

OP

Yes, if said woman was 5' 2" and ugly.

No, if she is 6' 2" and pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Was reading through this thread and thinking the same myself, isn't he an African transgender dwarf with one eye or something. Must have serious issues or maybe just boredom, seems to start 40 or 50 threads a week with just a silly question, then dissapears to watch the carnage from afar.

You’re obviously having trouble with the difference between defending oneself and attacking another person. But Irish law is pretty clear on what is considered reasonable force in defending oneself from attack -

(4) The fact that a person had an opportunity to retreat before using force shall be taken into account, in conjunction with other relevant evidence, in determining whether the use of force was reasonable.

Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997, S.20

I’m gonna get the fcuk out of there would be my first thought tbh.

That needs to be read with section 18 and with the updated wording as per the defence of dwelling act 2011.

And there's actually no legal definition of 'reasonable force' despite your opinion. Go ask the lads in the legal section because I know you won't believe me.

Reasonable force, at best can be considered on a case by case basis with regards to what a 'reasonable person' of 'reasonable constitution' would do in the situation.

Neither does your quote show that a claim of self defense can't stand merely because the ability to retreat existed. It merely stated that it's a factor. One of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

No, that’s not what I’m saying at all. Saying that there are no circumstances in which it is acceptable for a man to hit a woman is not “siding with women”. It’s not saying anything about women because as far as I’m concerned the discussion is about men’s behaviour and male standards of behaviour.

I’m not saying anything in any roundabout way either. I don’t have to be an expert either to know that a man could leave themselves open to being charged with assault if they hit a woman. Sure, a woman could leave herself open to assault for hitting a woman too, but that’s an opinion that relates to women who hit women, it has nothing to do with men who hit women leaving themselves open to being charged with assault.

I’d say the same thing to women though if the thread were in the Ladies Lounge if it makes you feel better?

You are siding with a woman, you say it's not right for a man to hit a woman who is attacking him and may cause grevious bodily harm, even if she has a weapon. If it comes to that, she will cause far more harm to him than his punch will to her. It may save his life, and may be the only way to protect himself. Yet you still don't accept that behaviour as response to a violent attack. What?

• Advertisement

Why would an expert be linking to an article where the male victim was murdered then?

We don’t charge dead people with criminal offences?

The woman who attacked him was being charged with murder in any case, not assault.

Why would you agreeing with every other person on this thread make your opinions any more important? I’ll take their opinions with the same weight I’ll give yours.

Because it shows woman capable of violence and the effect it has on men. Duh!

I also gave to an example of a similar attack where the man did defend himself and your reply was "you don't know you would have died" because allowing a woman to stab you repeatedly generally won't result in death.

Your just looking silly now with this constant need to muddy water and yet and turn this around. No one is suggesting hitting women is a good thing. No one is saying it's acceptable when not absolutely needed. People see saying it's acceptable in the same way as hitting a man is.

So....

If your not against men using force in certain situations, say it. In what scenario to you, is it acceptable? All the situations. Not some bland and vague answer. Make the statement you claim we aren't getting.

That needs to be read with section 18 and with the updated wording as per the defence of dwelling act 2011.

And there's actually no legal definition of 'reasonable force' despite your opinion. Go ask the lads in the legal section because I know you won't believe me.

Reasonable force, at best can be considered on a case by case basis with regards to what a 'reasonable person' of 'reasonable constitution' would do in the situation.

Neither does your quote show that a claim of self defense can't stand merely because the ability to retreat existed. It merely stated that it's a factor. One of many.

I don’t disagree with any of the above.

Of course it’s considered on a case by case basis which is why I said from the very beginning of the thread that men could leave themselves open to being charged with assault. Self defence could only be offered as a justification for their actions, and whether their actions were reasonable would be determined by someone else other than themselves.

That’s why I said from the very beginning of the thread too that it doesn’t matter what the poster themselves considers reasonable or anything else, it’s not up to them to make that decision as to whether their behaviour was reasonable or not.

Also I didn’t suggest there was any legal definition of reasonable force. Go read my post again because I’m sure as hell you won’t believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

If I were fighting her for the world boxing championship and was behind on points needing a good couple of rounds to get back into contention I would, on the serious side of it, there is no advantage to be gained by violence, and in 44 years on earth I have managed to avoid it so far, would not do your brain any good if you did it, and had to think about what you had done, unless I was attacked, and I don't mean physically, I mean with weapons, knives sticks, etc no. If I was attacked by a woman with a knife, I would probably stab her with it, on the basis that if you start it, you are fair game, that's not an action man or rambo reply, just an observation.
    My children are both blackbelts in kick boxing so they can defend themselves if required - regardless of gender. My son has been pitched against girls in fights, both in competition and in class, my daughter was pitched against grown men in class, and has been last man standing - it stands to both of them that they can take a punch and defend themselves.
    I have been slapped by a man, who got a lovely black eye in return - I won't put up with violence and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either, especially if weapons are involved.

I didn’t suggest there was any legal definition of reasonable force. .

So you didn't say.....
    But Irish law is pretty clear on what is considered reasonable force

What the hell man, your all over the place.

I'm going asleep.

Well, so long as boards keep allowing the troll to keep threads like this going then I guess they'll have to deal with it. Hate stuff, etc. Not a good look, in my opinion.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You are siding with a woman, you say it's not right for a man to hit a woman who is attacking him and may cause grevious bodily harm, even if she has a weapon. If it comes to that, she will cause far more harm to him than his punch will to her. It may save his life, and may be the only way to protect himself. Yet you still don't accept that behaviour as response to a violent attack. What?

They’re two totally separate things.

Her having a weapon and attacking him and all the rest of it, of course her behaviour is wrong.

That does not mean that I have to accept that in some circumstances it’s acceptable for a man to hit a woman. I don’t have to accept that. Nobody has to accept that. Irish law certainly doesn’t accept it and Irish society doesn’t accept it. Handful of posters on social media won’t actually change that reality.

Consider it if you will that I’m concerned with men’s behaviours and attitudes in a men’s forum, basically fcukall to do with women. My point is that a man is liable to land himself in trouble if he hits anyone and claims self defence, regardless of whether it’s a woman or another man. I know there was a poster earlier asked can we trust stats from the Gardaí and I said that we couldn’t, but I did find these ones interesting -

83% of offenders in assault cases are male

Majority of offenders are aged between 18 and 39

70% of assaults are male-on-male

75% of assault victims are male

Street assaults typically occur between 8pm and 5am at the weekend

Low level of repeat offenders (approx 3%), and low level of repeat victimisation (0.6%)

Low level of reporting of assaults (approx 55% of assaults reported)

’Use Your Brain Not Your Fists' campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

Would it be okay to punch a transgender male competing in women's sports?

That is something I would seriously like to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Someday, when he’s a little bit older and more worldly wise One Eyed Jack is going to look at these posts and say to himself “what the absolute **** was I thinking”

For what it’s worth I was in a friends house with my wife and his wife one time. They got into an argument and she hit him over something totally innocuous, but she did.

He said to her “that’s the fourth time you hit me, KH6 and Mrs KH6 are now witnesses. They are going to take photos of the marks you left (which I have and are on my phone, backed up to pc and the cloud) and next time I’m going to the cops.

Her response? “Well what type of man are you to stay with someone who hits you? Your a fkn coward”

Now, Mr Jack. In your mind he shouldn’t hit her?? My itchy ballsack he shouldn’t.

As an aside the next day she rang us to apologise for her behaviour and blamed PMT. And begged me to delete the photos. I told her I was under no circumstances deleting them

Someday, when he’s a little bit older and more worldly wise One Eyed Jack is going to look at these posts and say to himself “what the absolute **** was I thinking”

For what it’s worth I was in a friends house with my wife and his wife one time. They got into an argument and she hit him over something totally innocuous, but she did.

He said to her “that’s the fourth time you hit me, KH6 and Mrs KH6 are now witnesses. They are going to take photos of the marks you left (which I have and are on my phone, backed up to pc and the cloud) and next time I’m going to the cops.

Her response? “Well what type of man are you to stay with someone who hits you? Your a fkn coward”

Now, Mr Jack. In your mind he shouldn’t hit her?? My itchy ballsack he shouldn’t.

As an aside the next day she rang us to apologise for her behaviour and blamed PMT. And begged me to delete the photos. I told her I was under no circumstances deleting them

I’m fine with my thoughts on this one knucklehead tbh.

No I don’t agree that he should hit her. She sounds like an awful dose Reading your post back, they both sound like an awful dose, and I’d recommend your friend put some distance between himself and his wife if that’s a regular occurrence. Their relationship sounds utterly toxic without dragging you and anyone else into their dramatics. Why wouldn’t you go to the cops now seeing as you have the evidence?

She runs him through with a knife the next time I guess at least you’ll still have the photos (which aren’t the killer evidence you think they are either) -

When a barrister for the accused asked Amy Coughlan if she had kicked him in the face she replied: 'I don't know how that's physically possible - I'm only 5'3".' The Court heard that Purdy is 5'9". Ms. Coughlan's friend Therese took the stand and supported her version of events. Purdy's friend Barry Robinson corroborated the defense's version of events. Photographs shown to Judge Murrough Connellan showed facial injuries on Purdy's forehead, over one eye, and underneath another eye. However both Gerry Maloney and Garda Adam Nolan said that they noticed just one red mark underneath Purdy's eye on the night of the incident. Purdy told the Court that he asked the driver to call the gardai. Judge Murrough Connellan said that the one person who could clear up the start of the altercation was not present - the girl with whom Ms. Coughlan was alleged to have been rowing with. The court heard she was in Australia. 'I cannot come to a fair and accurate conclusion as to how it started,' he said.

'But undoubtedly, there was a complete over-reaction by Mr. Purdy. Each blow was a crippling blow. Either blow in itself is classed as an assault causing harm.' Purdy was fined a sum of €2,500. Judge Connellan took into consideration a charge of breaching the peace.

Man fined for attack on woman, claimed it was ‘self defence’

• Advertisement

I’m fine with my thoughts on this one knucklehead tbh.

For now you are. But someday you'll grow up a bit, get a little wiser, a little more worldly wise and you'll take women down off that pedestal of fair and comely maidens you seem to have elevated them to and realise that they are people too, with all the faults and quirks and foibles of people.

Some of them may well be deserving of that pedestal you've built, most are not.

Most women don't hit their partners, or random people on a night out. Some do.
    Most men don't hit their partners, or random people on a night out. Some do.

For now you are. But someday you'll grow up a bit, get a little wiser, a little more worldly wise and you'll take women down off that pedestal of fair and comely maidens you seem to have elevated them to and realise that they are people too, with all the faults and quirks and foibles of people.

Some of them may well be deserving of that pedestal you've built, most are not.

Most women don't hit their partners, or random people on a night out. Some do.
    Most men don't hit their partners, or random people on a night out. Some do.

Not to be rude or anything knucklehead but you’re talking nonsense. You know fannyadams about me personally apart from my opinions on this topic, and it’s obvious you’d use what little you do know to undermine my opinions on this topic if you could. That would be getting away from the point of the thread and turning it into a pissing contest.

In the scenario in which you described, where you’re more worldly wiser and don’t put women on pedestals and all the rest of it, your mate basically said to his wife that had just hit him, that you’re taking photos of his injuries and you and your wife are both witnesses, and his wife is calling you the next morning asking you delete the photos?

I’m not so wise and worldly as you so perhaps that’s why I’d consider people like that were welcome to each other and I wanted no involvement in their dramatics, pair of head the balls. And don’t get me wrong, I’ve known plenty of relationships like that which thrive on attention and drama and involving as many people in their soap lives as possible, it’s easy to get sucked in. I’d just cut them out tbh, but obviously I understand you’re not going to do that to someone you consider a friend whom you obviously care about.

Not to be rude or anything knucklehead but you’re talking nonsense. You know fannyadams about me personally apart from my opinions on this topic, and it’s obvious you’d use what little you do know to undermine my opinions on this topic if you could. That would be getting away from the point of the thread and turning it into a pissing contest.

Jack, when just about everyone else is saying one thing and you are saying another, completely opposite thing, it's time to look at your point of view and check yourself, that's all i'm saying.

About the only thing you've said that I agree with in this thread is that a bloke hitting a woman DOES put himself at risk of legal consequences.

Jack, when just about everyone else is saying one thing and you are saying another, completely opposite thing, it's time to look at your point of view and check yourself, that's all i'm saying.

About the only thing you've said that I agree with in this thread is that a bloke hitting a woman DOES put himself at risk of legal consequences.

Yeah I get what you’re saying, and I’d be saying the same thing if the OP had asked is it ever ok to hit anyone in self-defence. No it’s not, self-defence is a justification to assault, and any lads getting the idea that it’s ok to hit someone in self-defence is likely to find themselves in a heap of trouble pretty quickly.

There have been times when I’ve had to defend myself or others but no, I’ve never felt good about it or felt proud of myself afterwards or felt justified about it. I felt like shìt, like I’d let myself down. I’ve never found hitting anyone acceptable. In this case the OP just happened to be talking about hitting a woman. I apply the same standard that it’s unacceptable to hit a man.

That’s why I would always prefer to make people aware that they could leave themselves open to being charged with assault, and the justification of self-defence is not some get out of jail free card that means they have no responsibility and the other person is entirely responsible because they started it. That’s the mistake your friends are making too. Though whether either of them will ever see the inside of a jail cell is unlikely, seems to be mostly petty attention seeking nonsense they go on with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Equal rights= equal fights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

idnkph wrote: »
    Equal rights= equal fights
    How is this called The Geblteman’s Club? Seems the only gentleman is One Eyed Jack.

• Advertisement

Clare Kat wrote: »
    How is this called The Geblteman’s Club? Seems the only gentleman is One Eyed Jack.

The Gentlemen’s Clun

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

I'd never hit one but by jasus I'd give one a fair kicking

The Gentlemen’s Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well, so long as boards keep allowing the troll to keep threads like this going then I guess they'll have to deal with it. Hate stuff, etc. Not a good look, in my opinion.

Sure start a thread yourself so and get us chatting about what you want to talk about instead of moaning on this one about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Absolutely disgusting that this thread has been allowed to stay open and half the comments posted have been allowed. Normalising violence and hate speech against women has always been allowed on this site but to allow a thread like this to continue, that is so blatantly sexist and hateful against a group of people?
    This really says everything about this site and the people who run it.

Mods you should be ashamed of yourselves!

• Advertisement

The Gentlemen’s Club

Third times the charm....

And maybe you are a proper lady, who’d never hit a person, but in the vast majority of posts where a bloke has said “yes I would hit a woman” it’s always in self defence.

Yeah, there are one or two gobshhiites who’ve said they have hit a woman because she was annoying them but the rest have been quite together in their posts.

Absolutely disgusting that this thread has been allowed to stay open and half the comments posted have been allowed. Normalising violence and hate speech against women has always been allowed on this site but to allow a thread like this to continue, that is so blatantly sexist and hateful against a group of people?

Blatantly hateful against a group of people.... who have struck first.

Don’t forget that little nugget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If you ever feel the need to raise your hand to a woman, you just walk away and let the two of you cool off.

If a woman came at me or my family violently, then yes.

In the context of a relationship, if you feel that urge, then that relationship seriously isn't for you. Anyone that pushes you to that type of red-mist rage is toxic and not for you. Don't walk, run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was brought up to believe you never hit a woman ever

It would really have to be a last resort situation to lay hands on a woman

equal rights = equal fights?

I don't know what size and physical strength the men posting that kind of thing are but I would hazard a guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

In self defence? I'm a 5ft 4in guy who's 60kgs so there's little risk of me doing damage to the average woman who might try and attack me. Meanwhile, if you're 6ft, then that's a different story.
    Why are you asking this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Literally a whole thread about beating up women. Lovely.

I agree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Although started by one of our hit and run posters it has brought up debate about violence and self defence which has gone a few directions. As for hate speech and normalising violence? Maybe dial back the hyperbole. I don't see anyone a) suggesting hitting a woman just because they're women and b) it's been repeatedly couched in a self defence argument if such should come up and not one poster that I can see has suggested one sided violence on anyone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Third times the charm....

And maybe you are a proper lady, who’d never hit a person, but in the vast majority of posts where a bloke has said “yes I would hit a woman” it’s always in self defence.

Yeah, there are one or two gobshhiites who’ve said they have hit a woman because she was annoying them but the rest have been quite together in their posts.

Those blokes are the same as the gobshìtes really because one of the things about offering a justification of self defence against a charge of assault is that it cannot have been premeditated. If an act was premeditated, then it’s not self-defence, so knowing that they’d hit a woman beforehand? They couldn’t possibly know what they would do in self defence unless they were in that situation.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that those posters who have said they would hit a woman, are only fantasising about the idea of a woman hitting them first because they think arguing self defence would get them off the hook. It just doesn’t.

Literally a whole thread about beating up women. Lovely.

Well you spent enough time beating up a woman for her career choice in the stripper thread so it's no surprise you get the wrong end of the stick here either.

Those blokes are the same as the gobshìtes really because one of the things about offering a justification of self defence against a charge of assault is that it cannot have been premeditated. If an act was premeditated, then it’s not self-defence, so knowing that they’d hit a woman beforehand? They couldn’t possibly know what they would do in self defence unless they were in that situation.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that those posters who have said they would hit a woman, are only fantasising about the idea of a woman hitting them first because they think arguing self defence would get them off the hook. It just doesn’t.

You really are tying yourself in knots here Jack.

According to what i can decipher from that word jumble up there you seem to think that

IF someone has posted on this thread that they would hit a woman where she has already attacked them and they are acting in self defence,

then that means that

IF that situation arises in, say 5 years time, then their act of hitting the woman is premeditated because they posted it on a relatively obscure forum on a small message board once upon a time????

Okay then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement