Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Pre-school now only offering minimum 3.5hr sessions so need to pay difference.

Options
  • 24-06-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭

As per title, the local pre-school is now increasing its minimum session to 3.5hrs/day, so we have to pay the balance outside of the 3hr Ecce grant which will be somewhere around €850/yr per child.

I thought quite underhanded.

Is this common place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

mullingar wrote: »
    As per title, the local pre-school is now increasing its minimum session to 3.5hrs/day, so we have to pay the balance outside of the 3hr Ecce grant which will be somewhere around €850/yr per child.

I thought quite underhanded.

Is this common place?

I saw it in most preschools I went to view a couple of years ago, so not a new thing but it totally put me off! What I saw to be most common was the 3 hour session would be offered but only in the afternoon. If you wanted to go in the morning you needed to attend 3.5/4 hours.

In the one we went with you can do 3 hour morning 9-12 but they offer an extra half hour till 12.30 If you take your child out at 12 they will miss circle time etc so we pay the extra. Most people seem to. I was annoyed at first but it's 2e and to be honest if it gives the preschool a little income boost I'm glad to do it now we've experienced the place. The staff are great, it's a small school and my children love it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

If it was only €2, I'd have no problem. But with x2 little ones @ €5 per 30 min each. That's €50/week

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

mullingar wrote: »
    If it was only €2, I'd have no problem. But with x2 little ones @ €5 per 30 min each. That's €50/week

Yikes, 10e per day is a lot, I have 2 in together as well so I feel your pain. Were you just availing of a 3 hour session and they have now introduced the extra .5 hour, if so maybe worth speaking to them. I wouldn’t be happy if it was introduced without alternative option esp if I’d started out on a 3 hour session

Advertisement