Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Fishing rod and reel recommendations

Options
  • 20-06-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hey All,

I've had my current gear for the last 10-15 years and sadly its starting to show its age, was out fishing for mackeral there yesterday off the cliffs south of Kilkee in Clare, and while it was ok for bringing up one or two on the line, when i had 3 or 4 on, the rod would start to creek and the reel gears just slipped when they were out of the water and couldnt lift the weight up the cliff face. I had to get a friend to hold the rod and reel as i pulled the line up by hand.

It's the first time I've had to do this after years of fishing in this spot, and was thinking I could do with a new rod and reel. I'll still be using what i have for when dead baiting, but want to upgrade so I can have a decent main set up for the likes of beach fishing and off high cliffs, both for dead baiting and lures with the likes of mackeral in mind, you know how they are when the going is good, every hook comes up with one on.

I've currently been using a Ron Thompson Dialex Beach Caster 360 (12 ft, cast weight of 100-200 gram) with a Surecatch Advance reel. Haven't been able to find either of these while searching online. They've served me well over the years and have spent many a day/night out on the coast of Clare and other spots around the country, and would be looking towards a similar setup to upgrade to. Only thing is, my knowledge of what's available now is, well limited would be a big understatement :p

Would anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for similar to what i have with regards being able to cast up to around the 200 or so gram weight, mainly as this is what im used to using and the tide can be quite rough alone my usual spots. With regards the reel side of things, ideally one that i could get a second spool for, I'm more used to using fixed spool, it's been many a year since I used a multiplier. Any pointers would be appreciated. I'm based in Shannon, but from Dublin originally and havent been up in a while, though the next time I'm up there I'm thinking of heading into Southside, but that would be probably around mid summer, and am hoping to pick up new gear over the next week or two once I've checked out what options are there.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Depends on your budget but something like a Shakespeare Agility or Penn Squadron are a good value for money option (have a Penn for sale here if interested).

For the reel, this Mitchell MX4 6000 looks like a good one. I've been using a Mitchell Blade Alu 6000 for a number of years and it's been brilliant and very comfortable to use. Probably best to check the line capacity of your current reel for comparison. This Shimano looks good also.

What kind of budget did you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

Thanks Dmc17, both of the rods you have mentioned I've been looking into. havent made my mind up on which yet though, was looking at these 3 options : Shakespeare Agility 2 Continental Surf, the long surf model, or Penn Squadron II Surf Rod.

with regards reels, I've been looking at these 3 options: Shimano BTR OC Baitrunner 8000 OC, Okuma Axion BF Baitfeeder, Penn Surfblaster II 8000 Fixed Spool Reel.

Unfortunately i havent been able to find any specs for my current reel, but i have near emptied the spool of line while fishing off Kilkee cliffs ( about 70ft high) but for best part it has the capacity to hold quite alot of line, even with 30lb line on the spool. Most places I'd be hitting up would be around Clare, Kilkee would be the highest I'd be going off, and thats mainly for mackeral so I can go dead baiting elsewhere along the coast

regards budget, was thinking somewhere around 300 or so mark between the two, with them being able to last me the next good few years similar to what my current gear has lasted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

The 8000 size could be a good shout in that case so. That Shimano looks like a good reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

Still havent made up my mind on the rod, but I did pick up a reel earlier, went for a Penn Battle II 8000, seems quite smooth when was filling the spool, hoping to get out over the weekend if it's not bucketing rain :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

if you can source a Daiwa df 100 series and if you can get a second hand conoflex or century kompressor rod absolute work horses.

I use a Shimano tld 15/30 boat reel converted for casting, very advanced set up, and an old conoflex tournament casting rod...

Can't beat that set up... especially for hauling Mack's up dunlicky...

Daiwa df 100 series they're still for sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement