Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to remember a game shop in Dublin..

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have vague memories of a game shop I was in maybe a few times when I was younger. I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in Dublin city centre but I can't be sure. This thread is a long shot, but I was wondering if someone can remember :P

It was there around 1993 or 1994 from what I recall. I vaguely remember either seeing an actual Playstation for the first time in there, or at least a poster advertising the coming playstation.

The shop was also where I first saw the Philips CD-I on display. I remember they were demoing a Sesame street game on it.

The shop also sold Super Nintendo games (I remember seeing Ultraman for the snes in there)

I don't remember a huge amount about the actual shop - the sales counter was to the right as you go in. I remember the playstation thing I saw was to the left of that. There was a few steps ahead, and I think the super nintendo games used to be on the left at the top of the steps? The section above was where I remember the CD-I. To the back right of this area, I think there was a way through to another room, either straight throw or up a few steps. I think it was a fairly dark place?

I know this is really vague, but I'm wondering if someone older than me remembers. This might not have even been in Dublin for all I can really remember :D

It's definately not Game Grafton street, and it's not HMV (I remember their game section was downstairs, on the right side in it's own sorta roomed off area - Doom 2 demoing on a display pc!)

pretty sure it wasn't where Game on Dawson street is, I can remember that always being an electronics botique or something long ago. Layout of the shop is sorta similar to the one I remember...long room, but no steps up..

Maybe I dreamed it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Was it gamestop(gamesworld back then) on liffey street by any chance?
    They always had all the machines from Japan before they were out in Europe
    Its a long shop, counter is at the back of the shop but may have been on the right at some stage, cant really remember if it ever was though

now
    birQnkK-Cr3QtOaby-iIij.xxl.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

there was a games shop at the top of o connell st , (well one of the side streets off to the right) on the way up to the ambassador, which fits your description ,did game rentals back before xtravsion and the like did and had cd32s 3d0's cdi's and the like .
    Cant for the life of me remember the name though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Bookmart/Game-exchange? Thought it might have been the one OP was talking about but couldn't remember if it had steps or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Nah it's not the one on talbot street, nor gamestop liffey street.

Where was Bookmart/Game-exchange?

I have vauge memories of it being on Dawson street but I can't think of anywhere there bar where Game is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Game on Dawson St was formerly known as .......? Can't remember now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

there was a games shop at the top of o connell st , (well one of the side streets off to the right) on the way up to the ambassador, which fits your description ,did game rentals back before xtravsion and the like did and had cd32s 3d0's cdi's and the like .
    Cant for the life of me remember the name though.

That was the place I was thinking of too, but it pre dates Playstations, I remember get Manchester United In Europe for the C64 in that show. Think it was called Game Exchange and was located were that Sidewalk Bar place is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, I remember exactly what you describe. It was at the college end of Dawson st. I'm pretty sure it became Electronics Boutique later. The PS demo was awesome at the time - a spaceship I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Draupnir wrote: »
    That was the place I was thinking of too, but it pre dates Playstations, I remember get Manchester United In Europe for the C64 in that show. Think it was called Game Exchange and was located were that Sidewalk Bar place is now.

Was that not Computer City?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Liffey Street had the counter on the left back in the Sega Saturn days.. I remember the place was packed when they had that odd controller in for Knights? I saw my first Nintendo 64 in there..

dazberry wrote: »

D.

Yes, yes it was. Black and yellow shop front? This was around the same time that Clerys was the place to go for C64 games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nah it's not the one on talbot street, nor gamestop liffey street.

Where was Bookmart/Game-exchange?

Dunno if it moved but BM/GE is the one on Talbot St.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    OP, I remember exactly what you describe. It was at the college end of Dawson st. I'm pretty sure it became Electronics Boutique later. The PS demo was awesome at the time - a spaceship I think.

Yeah I keep being drawn to that location as where it was... I think the door on the front might have been at an angle to the front of the building (on the right side?). Might be wrong about that though.

It just popped into my head recently and I couldn't remember much about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I was thinking Mr.Calculator? He def had one of the first Jap PS1s in the country. Had the place full of us awing and ohing of the T-rex demo and Destruction Derby.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Harry Moores, on Henry Street, they had a gaming dept downstairs.
    Mr. Calculator had everything new, but he cost a fortune.
    Back in 93/94 it was called Gamesworld, they had two stores, one on Liffey St, now Gamestop, but Gamesworld is still inset into the doorstep in.
    They also had a store, the original one, on Abbey St, inside Chapters, there were many many books and videos for sale there but Gamesworld had a counter at the back, it was there that the company was founded!
    There was also a shop back in the day up on Dawson St called QTH, but I think that predates your enquiry.
    Also, for stores with stairs, you're talking either the above Harry Moores, later to be taken over by Dixons, Game on Grafton St and Easons on O'Connell St, as well as Golden Discs on Henry St.

And the demo for the PS was a T-Rex, the Saturn was graced with an underwhelming Spaceship!

I miss game on grafton st! Would that happen to be the same spaceship that appears when you play a cd or just in the menu of the saturn?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

dazberry wrote: »

D.
    the very one

I might ask my dad if he remembers it. It'd be a long shot but I do remember being in there with the parents at the time.

Really does seem like it was where Game is on Dawson street.. I went into town a lot when I was a kid with the parents but we were always around Grafton street so Dawson would sound likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oxis

Any chance it was on Capel Street? I'm not sure if it is there anymore but I remember renting Cyberball on the Megadrive there a LONG time ago!! Anyone remember the name of that shop?

I saw someone mentioned Mr. Calculator. I remember that place really well. The owner was always very helpful and friendly. Good shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Might it have been QTH Computers that used to be up the top end of Dawson St. ( Up near where Elverys are now ) ?

Big back in the day for Spectrum / C64 / Atarti etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

oxis wrote: »
    Any chance it was on Capel Street? I'm not sure if it is there anymore but I remember renting Cyberball on the Megadrive there a LONG time ago!! Anyone remember the name of that shop?

I remember that place, I think it was Computer City, you could rent games from there for a week for a 5er, which was absolutely amazing at the time.

• Advertisement

I can't remember the name of the computer/games shop on Capel Street, it was right down at the quays end of the street. You had to go down a stairs to the shop itself, it was the first place I ever saw Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive and I remember being blown away by it.

As a child of Midnight Resistance on the C64, Sonic was an unbelievable step up in graphics and gameplay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I can't remember the name of the computer/games shop on Capel Street, it was right down at the quays end of the street. You had to go down a stairs to the shop itself, it was the first place I ever saw Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive and I remember being blown away by it.

As a child of Midnight Resistance on the C64, Sonic was an unbelievable step up in graphics and gameplay.

That shop on the corner brings back memories, think I rented or bought Turrican 1 from there. I remember the windy stares led to the rental section downstairs, not sure though. C64 Midnight Resistance - the one C64 game I despised.

Only remember Electronics Boutique and QTH on Dawson St as mentioned, although QTH in Dun Laoghaire was closer to me. Sorry to go off topic but does anyone remember a Sensi Soccer tournament held in The Ormande along the quays? Hmmm not totally sure it was Sensi only but was great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

The ones i remember from back then was
    Computer City on Cathal Brugha St
    That one on Capell St was a guy that used to work for Computer City and set up his own shop
    Easons had a good game section
    Virgin Megastore also
    The one on Dawson St was originally Virgin, then Electronics Boutique and now Game
    Also there was Tomorrows World but can't remember where it was

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I dragged my father the length and breath of the city back in the day getting games for my c64 and then Amiga. Computer City, Peats (The old upstairs one) Cleary's just to name a few... Does anyone from the Swords/ Fingal area remember Astra? They sold games for most systems, console and computer before turning it into an arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Mr Calculator was a great shop. I can remember getting Secret of Mana there many moons ago there. Also, MK2 months before it was released.

Pretty sure I paid > £70 for Secret of Mana though!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kiwi_40

Tomorrows World in the Ilac centre was where i use to go for Spectrum games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

oxis wrote: »

I saw someone mentioned Mr. Calculator. I remember that place really well. The owner was always very helpful and friendly. Good shop!

Aye.......trying to remember the name of the Capel St one myself. On the tip of my tongue.
    First place I ever played Ghouls n Ghosts on an imported Megadrive, and definitely remember renting a few titles from there. Used to love showing off a few Kick Off 2 skills in there as well.

Jason...... think the name if the fella was ? Used to be involved with the computer club that used to meet up in the Ormond on the Sundays as well IIRC (either involved or at least present in any case).

Mr Calc as well.......first time I saw a 3DO in the flesh was there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are quoting posts from eleven years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye

Retro and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

cynos wrote: »
    Was it gamestop(gamesworld back then) on liffey street by any chance?
    They always had all the machines from Japan before they were out in Europe
    Its a long shop, counter is at the back of the shop but may have been on the right at some stage, cant really remember if it ever was though

now
    birQnkK-Cr3QtOaby-iIij.xxl.jpg
    :o this was me!
    Hello old cathal

Advertisement