Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

fran38 wrote: »
    Madness by Gould. Only one winner now. Can't take to Wilson at all. Don't see any flair in his game.. And he has a very smackable face

He threw it away.. Effectively gave away Fif - bloody - teen!!! points on one snooker :pac:.... Unforgiveable, as the great one Hendry is wont to say.... Looks to be curtains now.. All that hard work undone :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Why don't they just have the coverage on BBC 4 the whole time, the station is off air until 7 on the evening

I remember when there were two red button channels and you could watch both matches all the time. If I remember correctly they then tried to cut costs and it had something to do with the cost of multiple feeds being uplinked to satellite simultaneously but I could be wrong.

Desislava is well tasty :D Could be her - wears glasses too, I think.. Must be her you're on about.

Would have her over Ben's missus who's officiating on the other table.

Desislava smiles alot while Tatiana looks rather sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

fran38 wrote: »
    Madness by Gould. Only one winner now. Can't take to Wilson at all. Don't see any flair in his game.. And he has a very smackable face

Wilson and Maguire the two players i just cannot stand. Or even watch. I suppose 2/128 players on tour isn't too bad. We all have people in all walks of life that we cannot warm to for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Sadly there probably was, as women are underpaid for the same jobs as men, it's not for aesthetics, remember Barry Hearne is running the show, so the motive is financial

That is the sort of thing Barry'd do LOL. Hire women, they're more reliable and don't go boozing.

That is the sort of thing Barry'd do LOL. Hire women, they're more reliable and don't go boozing.

Given the trouble he had with Michaela Tabb it might be cheaper to hire men.

I presume men and woman referee's get paid the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Is their an audience watching in the crucible? I can hear clapping on the other table but their doesn't seem to be an audience watching the Robertson v Hawkins match.

I presume men and woman referee's get paid the same.

But maybe the men are less likely to take world snooker to court for sexual discrimination and get paid a settlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Robertson's pace of play is really desperate. He's breaking his own rhythm.

• Advertisement

Is their an audience watching in the crucible? I can hear clapping on the other table but their doesn't seem to be an audience watching the Robertson v Hawkins match.

The locals are sneaking in and hiding up the back lol. No, fake audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

amens wrote: »
    I had no BBC growing up so I only saw the Irish masters on rte and then snooker disappeared from rte and I only discovered it again a decade ago.

They showed Ken's semi-finals and finals back in the 90s, basically piggy-backing on BBCs coverage with some studio punditry from (iirc) Tracey Piggott.

Did TG4 show afternoon sessions some year. Joe might recall.

Gouldy giving it a go.. 12 - 9 now, just broke down there, and Wilson back in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Robertson's pace of play is really desperate. He's breaking his own rhythm.

2 minutes to play a straight blue with reds available all over the place. Really doesnt help himself with that kind of stuff i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

amens wrote: »
    The locals are sneaking in and hiding up the back lol. No, fake audience

They should have canned laughter for Denis Taylor's hilarious jokes too ;)

I've actually noticed fewer eye rolling "jokes" now that he doesn't have a captive audience, thank God.

Dennis looks to have a job for life with BBC. I'd say the more elderly folk might be fond of his inane musings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

They should have canned laughter for Denis Taylor's hilarious jokes too ;)

I've actually noticed fewer eye rolling "jokes" now that he doesn't have a captive audience, thank God.

Or even those audience leading statements "Oh that shot really deserves a round of applause" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭waynescales1

“The Darling of Dublin” is a nickname I would prefer not to hear used again for at least a decade.

Gould gone. 13 - 9 Wilson. Hope Judd knocks him out. He's not good enough to win it, and never will be imo.

• Advertisement

“The Darling of Dublin” is a nickname I would prefer not to hear used again for at least a decade.

I think it's a 'wonderful' name.

Robbo and The Hawk are litetally taking the piss here.

Robbo and The Hawk are litetally taking the piss here.

It is not the first time I've seen Robbo go mid-frame. He does like long ones.

Gas, the gang in the BBC studio caught on the hop by the unscheduled break, as evidenced by the appearance of a box of grapes on the centre table, which then mysteriously disappeared after switching cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Robertson through. Nicely set up QF with Selby.

Robertson; 'it's nice the pockets are playing tight as they were too big the last five years. It's good to see players miss'.

• Advertisement

If Seema did karaoke in that dress you could say she was singing like a canary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

I think it's a 'wonderful' name.

post of the championships winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

McGill accusing Clarke of being in his eye line and having words with him. The ref Jans Verhaas having to step in. McGill seems livid.

Great to see a bit of needle in the snooker - Ding-Ding gloves off well refereed by Jan Verhaas.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Passenger wrote: »
    Robertson through. Nicely set up QF with Selby.

Ah Jayus. That could be a muck and bullets match. Lots of safety. Managed to get the shopping done in a hour 4-5 ish before Selby won his 2nd Round game. Knew he no notion of it being quick fire so I wouldn't miss the end. Have to kinda gear yourself up to watch that Selby fella, and make sure the fridge is well stocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

cant wait for tonights ronnie and ding match....although im doubting i'll have the outcome i want. come on ronnnnnnnieeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement

Bookies never take a chance with Ronnie

Ron 4/9
    Ding 7/4

For me it's pretty much 50/50. All on the night.

Nice value for those who fancy a Ding victory.

Might get a bit more needle with the Wilson v Trump QF. Selby v Robertson also interesting, 2 good QFs to look forward to.

^^^^^^^

Might do a Robbo/Trump double, depending on odds

Ron 4/9
    Ding 7/4

Odds suggest if they played three times tonight, ronnie would win two of em. Which seems about right. If you really believe its 50-50 then you have a great bet on ding. Maybe tonight is the one time ronnie loses. I dont trust either of them implicitly so just happy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,819 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

^^^^^^^

Might do a Robbo/Trump double, depending on odds

I'm on a Trump-Robbo straight forecast from before the tournament. Still think that's the most likely final but Ronnie is obviously capable of blowing both of them away if he's in the mood

Trump 4/11 v Wilson 11/5
    Robbo 3/5 v Selby 11/8

I believe Wilson has a good head to head v Judd. I do expect Judd to improve and there's no love lost between the two so nowaythe reigning champion will get complacent. I wouldn't write Wilson off but i giveTrump the nod.

The other game is pretty much toss of a coin so Selby represents better value at 11/8. If ihad to call it i'd give Robertson a hesitant vote.

Just checked the prices

4/11 Trump
    3/5 Robbo

Both PP, might be marginally bigger elsewhere....

No bet I think.

I was hoping Judd would be about 4/6 and Robertson 4/5..

Was hoping for a lot :D

cant wait for tonights ronnie and ding match....although im doubting i'll have the outcome i want. come on ronnnnnnnieeeeeeeeee

Ron 4/9
    Ding 7/4

I don't really mind who wins it because both have played great snooker, should be a great finish. Would be nice to see Ding get through though.

Plus I would love the irony of a Chinese winner outright first time - given what has happened in the world.

I don't really mind who wins it because both have played great snooker, should be a great finish. Would be nice to see Ding get through though.

Plus I would love the irony of a Chinese winner outright first time - given what has happened in the world.

i agree, Ding has his vulnerabilities and I like that about him, that twitch in his eye and when things go bad for him, they really go bad.
    He is a player I'd like to see progress and if Ronnie is going to be beat tonight, its Ding i'd like to see doing it.
    But snooker and me needs Ronnie to progress and hopefully he has the 7 year itch to win outright.

Two fascinating matches tonight for differing reasons. Ding really finished it out well when he beat ronnie here in '16 so he knows he can do it. With ronnie, so much depends on his own mood as we all know. Looking forward to it.

Other match depends on how clarke recovers from yesterday's drama which, to be accurate, was in some part his creation. Notice he hasnt been on social media today so either he's come to his senses or somebody confiscated his phone! If he realises that he can beat mcgill with his snooker and put extraneous stuff out of his mind, he can win it. Could be bit of a late slog this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie probably the only sports person/team that I still have that irrational support for after almost 30 years of following him. Kind of almost dread watching him in the WC when he's not way in front! Very difficult to separate them, but the bookies have Ronnie about 65/35. Steve Peters time to shine.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ronnie probably the only sports person/team that I still have that irrational support for after almost 30 years of following him. Kind of almost dread watching him in the WC when he's not way in front! Very difficult to separate them, but the bookies have Ronnie about 65/35. Steve Peters time to shine.

Hahahaha I know your pain, he can be so frustrating to watch. He’s an annoying little brat when he’s not in the mood.

I'd like to see someone new win it, maybe a qualifier. That £500k would make a real difference to them.

It seems that McGill ran out to confront Clarke and not to appease that spat they had.

It seems that McGill ran out to confront Clarke and not to appease that spat they had.

Thats the way it looked to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

It’s looking like two great matches tonight. I’d always planned on watched the Ding and Ronnie match, but chance of a fight in the other match has me tempted to watch it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Thats the way it looked to me.

And me. I was never of the opinion that he ran out to try defuse the situation

Is there some confirmation of that? Ken was hinting at it then but seemed to be just assuming it. First time he had actually seen the footage he said.

Ffs John parrot drives me nuts

• Advertisement

Is there some confirmation of that? Ken was hinting at it then but seemed to be just assuming it. First time he had actually seen the footage he said.

Definitely hinting at it , that’s the way I read it anyway

Ken must of heard something

Advertisement