Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you noticed in your garden during the lockdown?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Banded demoiselle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I watched a baby hooded crow being fed by two different adults yesterday! I was lying in the sun tossing bits of bagel at them. I 100% saw the baby crow HIDE bits of the bagel under moss and drag other bits of moss over to cover it up! Couldn’t believe my eyes.

Then it kept running and sqwalking at the adult crows until they separately fed the bits they had got into its gullet - madness! Does any crow feed another or do crows mate and feed together as pairs??

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

I’ve spotted a hare in my back garden twice in the last week. The minute he sees me he tears off up the fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

My garden is full of frogs at the minute, with the bit of rain tonight i'll go out later and get a few pics. The colours are unreal, every shade brown and green and "black", some have fairly red/brown bellies!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

whelzer wrote: »
    My garden is full of frogs at the minute, with the bit of rain tonight i'll go out later and get a few pics. The colours are unreal, every shade brown and green and "black", some have fairly red/brown bellies!

Would you please consider logging them here? I'm sure they'd be happy of the extra records.

http://www.ipcc.ie/help-ipcc/hop-to-it-national-frog-survey-irelandcard/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Robins, Blackbirds, Thrushes, Nesting Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Great Tits, Sisken, Bullfinches, Dunnock, Collared Dove, Nesting Wood Pigeons

Which were attacked and eaten by a Pine Marten. Raided the nest, attacked the adult wood pigeon which stumbled off in a daze then the Pine Marten grabbed and killed one sizeable wood pigeon chick and then returned five minutes later and nabbed the other chick.

Have had a fox visiting too.

Had a few visits from a Sparrowhawk which killed a collared Dove

Have a pair of buzzards circling overhead regularly.

Had a huge poplar hawk moth too. That was a first.

Oh and bats, loads of bats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Spotted a hedgehog in the yard about a month ago and began leaving food out nightly. Seen it a few times since but tonight She had a little hoglet with her. Unfortunately it just ran for cover as I was taking the pic. You can just about make it out under the dock leafs.
    They love meal worms.
    Not good for them: milk, fish, cat food in gravy, starchy vegetables.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

auspicious wrote: »
    Not good for them: ... cat food in gravy
    where did you hear this? hedgehog rescue dublin often put out requests for food and they usually say any wet cat food of any brand is fine.

where did you hear this? hedgehog rescue dublin often put out requests for food and they usually say any wet cat food of any brand is fine.

Hey.
    I read it on Hedgehogstreet.org.
    " It is better to offer them either one of the many hedgehog foods which are available, or cat/dog food – meat varieties – and preferably in jelly not gravy or cat/kitten biscuits – not fish varieties of any of these. This will make for healthier hedgehogs".

Maybe gravy is not bad but just not preferable...

Also said" I am not at all sure that suet pellets are good for hedgehogs and have not seen them recommended anywhere, officially, for hedgehogs. They are actually designed for birds. I can’t help thinking that a balanced diet, i.e. in the form of hedgehog food has got to be better for them. We don’t want to end up having a problem with obese hedgehogs from eating too much fat!"

They love mealworms( the chitin is great for their fibre ) but it's not hugely nutritional I read. High protein cat food works well and fresh water.

An informative colourful pdf below to encourage hedgehogs into your gardens/neighbourhoods and help fight their decline.
    The more active participants in your area the better chance the 'hogs stand.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/pdf/WAGW.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiB9qf8ioXrAhW5SxUIHeVpAo4QFjABegQIDRAG&usg=AOvVaw2l2rIGcT23SEqhI1OH7Dsa

• Advertisement

Took this on the 25th of July. But now only one appears nightly around 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

auspicious wrote: »
    Took this on the 25th of July. But now only one appears nightly around 10.30.

This is great. Hedgehogs and Badgers are on my wishlist to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Flying Ant Day today ..in my garden ..anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

IMG_20200614_145646.jpgLoads of frogs here too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

fryup wrote: »

Yup, loads here today and then all of a sudden they were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

fryup wrote: »

Yeah! Swallows, swifts, herring gulls & black headed gulls gobbling them up all day along with a sparrowhawk cruising around, dozens of bats out at dusk. As scarepanda says... gone in a matter of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I was wondering why the swallows were out in force this evening! I didn’t see any of the ants at home but noticed them elsewhere!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Woke up to a dead Sparrow Hawk and Blackbird in my Garden. Judging by where I found them, it would appear the Sparrow Hawk just flew straight into my shed outter wall, dying on impact! He was carrying the somewhat eaten Blackbird when impact happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Yakult wrote: »
    Woke up to a dead Sparrow Hawk and Blackbird in my Garden. Judging by where I found them, it would appear the Sparrow Hawk just flew straight into my shed outter wall, dying on impact! He was carrying the somewhat eaten Blackbird when impact happened.

Possible that the hawk was being chased and flying at speed,,chased by angry blackbird parents?...buzzard?....or just a crazy speedfreak hawk not paying attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Spotted this on a street light a couple of mornings ago, unfortunately it was incredibly foggy so the picture is more like a silhouette but was wondering what it might have been since I've never seen something so large in the area before. It sat there resting for about 20 minutes before flying off at a low height so never really got a good look at it.
    For a size comparison those are rooks beside it.

This is an area where white tailed eagles have been introduced recently so I did wonder but think it probably doesn't fit the shape and rooks probably wouldn't have been moving so close to it if it was.

Thought maybe a heron or some kind of goose? Anyone more knowledgeable have an idea what it might be?
    MkZCEUw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cormorant, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

strange to see one on a telegraph pole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Picked this up on the garden trail camera last night.

Anyone know if it's a mouse, rat or some kind of shrew?

https://streamable.com/gs7spf

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

My vote is Shrew

Mine also, with that snout. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Phillip876

I spent my whole lock down in my home garden. I saw a lot of stuff there which I never noticed before. The beauty of flowers, the smell of soil, and the life of birds. It made my mind calm and peaceful during my busy life full of duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi! I hope you are all well.
    Over the later summer months, I found that there wasnt much birdsong.

But over the last week or so, every evening I can hear a robin singlng beautifully in the trees around my house and also early in the morning at around 6am.

Is this the robin asserting his / her territory?

Is it true the robin is the only songbird to sing through the winter months?

Thank u!

Advertisement