Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roof tank leaking

Options
  • 08-08-2020 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Any help appreciated - the roof tank is leaking on and off. I've attached a photo of the float valve which is almost submerged. Is it probably just the ballcock valve that needs replacing? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

thepogues wrote: »
    Is it probably just the ballcock valve that needs replacing? Cheers

Yes, check that the water stops if you lift up the float.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would imagine with the float underwater its as up as it can get,now where do i find washers,woodies or plumbers supply should stock the round washers.Turn off water before replacing the washer as plenty of you tube videos that can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

greasepalm wrote: »
    I would imagine with the float underwater its as up as it can get,now where do i find washers,woodies or plumbers supply should stock the round washers.Turn off water before replacing the washer as plenty of you tube videos that can help.

The float might be split and full of water,have seen it plenty of times. If the water stops when the float is lifted then the issue is not with the valve but with the float

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Make sure the float moves up and down freely. Had an issue a few years ago where the float rod was sticking at the valve end causing the float to submerge and the water come out through the overflow pipe.
    If I remember rightly this was after the tank had been drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

Thanks for all the replies! When I pushed it down (a fair bit) the water started flowing.

• Advertisement

That would be normal as its overfull,but would need draining to lower level first to check ball is not heavy filled with water or continues to fill because of worn washer.

That would be normal as its overfull,but would need draining to lower level first to check ball is not heavy filled with water or continues to fill because of worn washer.

Ok cheers, should I turn off the water and then let it drain through usage?

Should be a filler tap on/off to stop water going in ,run bath if you have one will lower level down in tank,or if you had clean buckets dip them in to drop level in tank to check.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=replacing+washer+on+ballcock

Should be a filler tap on/off to stop water going in ,run bath if you have one will lower level down in tank,or if you had clean buckets dip them in to drop level in tank to check.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=replacing+washer+on+ballcock
    Great, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Why replace washer when a whole ballcock and ball is about 6 quid.

99% of the time it's a ballcock. Occasionally it's a pinhole in cylinder

• Advertisement
Advertisement