Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

fullstop wrote: »
    19 top 15 finishes is hardly something to be shouting about for a top 50 player in the world.

20% of his PGA tour appearances are top 15. He's not the hacker some portray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Apart from that time he won a WGC, and the time he led the US Open going into the final round, and his other two top 3 finishes not to mention the 7.8 million he has won or his 19 top 15 finishes.

7.8 million career earnings isn't huge? McIlroy won twice that in one tournament alone last year.

The WGC was great but he's not really threatened since then. He needs to be more competitive week in week out. He's a major winner, he has savage ability. Putting definitely a major weakness though it's really holding him back.

Still think he produces his best stuff in Europe or on the European tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

He produces his best stuff in Europe? Or he produces the same level of play but the standard is lower and thus he finishes higher?

For those saying he should take a break and go back to Europe - remember he ended up in tears after the Open at Carnoustie the year before he won. He's a streaky player. He has many lower finishes week to week but gets hot from time to time. I would suggest this is normal for him. Just needs to keep plugging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

7.8 million career earnings isn't huge? McIlroy won twice that in one tournament alone last year.

The WGC was great but he's not really threatened since then. He needs to be more competitive week in week out. He's a major winner, he has savage ability. Putting definitely a major weakness though it's really holding him back.

Still think he produces his best stuff in Europe or on the European tour.

Since the WGC and off the top of my head he has lead the US Open and at Hilton Head going into the last round.

Being in contention more regularly would be great but his career has followed the same trends all along, average year to 18 months then win then repeat. Mainly why he hasn't played Ryder Cup. His 'down' years have been the main qualifying events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fred_ wrote: »
    He produces his best stuff in Europe? Or he produces the same level of play but the standard is lower and thus he finishes higher?

For those saying he should take a break and go back to Europe - remember he ended up in tears after the Open at Carnoustie the year before he won. He's a streaky player. He has many lower finishes week to week but gets hot from time to time. I would suggest this is normal for him. Just needs to keep plugging away.

I think "streaky" is stretching it though, streaky players (imo) dont struggle when off a streak, they still tip along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Top 65 paid afaik

Or at least that’s how it was when 70

Actually, everyone who completes all four rounds gets paid. Last year, when the halfway cut was 70 plus ties, there was a further cut after round 3 if more than 78 players made the halfway cut. This year, it's 65 plus ties, with no third round cut.

While the total prize fund split for the current season is based on prize money down to 65th place, the overall prize fund is increased if more than 65 players make the cut. See the attached for a detailed explanation. https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2020/01/31/how-the-pga-tour-pays-prize-money-when-more-than-65-players-make-the-cut-118120/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Trampas

Good start on Thursday but nothing since. His bad years when he was bouncing back and forward. Maybe over there is not for him. Good players will have their weeks but week in week out it’s just not his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fighting final round of 3 under. Good birdie on the last.

Pity as he had a good chance with a lot of the top players giving this one a miss.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good interview with him on this week's sky sports podcast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Good interview with him on this week's sky sports podcast.
    Yeah, seen that it was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

+1 after 2, let's hope it is not another of those over par first rounds.

+1 after 2, let's hope it is not another of those over par first rounds.

And so it proved. Followed him on the box as he was in one of the two marquee groups, seems to be going through the motions with short game in slight disarray. Hopefully he can lift himself and make the weekend. Clarke "celebrated" his Open win for years, Shane needs to focus and avoid complacency trap.

I see Steve Lowry (if you listened to golf channel that was his name) was out with Mickelson today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

And so it proved. Followed him on the box as he was in one of the two marquee groups, seems to be going through the motions with short game in slight disarray. Hopefully he can lift himself and make the weekend. Clarke "celebrated" his Open win for years, Shane needs to focus and avoid complacency trap.

I think its more thats as good as he is to be honest and that the idea of him still celebtrating or not focusing isnt really the thing. Hes just not good enough all round to be right up there week in week out like the top lads. Hes a 50-100 world ranking golfer I reckon really. So the Open was totally deserved and really fantastic for him and Irish golf and we all loved it being played here and all, he has to be classed in the group of weak major winners like he only been in the mix for one other and he folded badly there. Theres others that win one like him mainly Americans because there so many of them and some can always have the dream for days and fair dos to them when it comes off like that. But we forget a lot of those Americans who dont do much else. Still great to have a major in the bag for him and it was a great thrill watching him which I was there for one day.

Might be a long afternoon ahead to see if he’s in the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Another missed cut, probably very lucky the Ryder Cup has been moved if he wants to have any chance of making it.

I see Steve Lowry (if you listened to golf channel that was his name) was out with Mickelson today.

Really, that's a complete insult.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

I think its more thats as good as he is to be honest and that the idea of him still celebtrating or not focusing isnt really the thing. Hes just not good enough all round to be right up there week in week out like the top lads. Hes a 50-100 world ranking golfer I reckon really. So the Open was totally deserved and really fantastic for him and Irish golf and we all loved it being played here and all, he has to be classed in the group of weak major winners like he only been in the mix for one other and he folded badly there. Theres others that win one like him mainly Americans because there so many of them and some can always have the dream for days and fair dos to them when it comes off like that. But we forget a lot of those Americans who dont do much else. Still great to have a major in the bag for him and it was a great thrill watching him which I was there for one day.

This guy had 3 shot leads going into multiple majors, and won one of them. He's not you average 50-100 ranking player because they don't do that:confused:

• Advertisement

Very disappointing that he didn't make the +3 cut, hope he is not drifting back to where he was in 2018.He needs a win or at least top ten finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

This guy had 3 shot leads going into multiple majors, and won one of them. He's not you average 50-100 ranking player because they don't do that:confused:

Sure they do. In fact, Andy North and John Daly won multiple majors and would be in that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You know when Shane is doing well because there's no posts in this thread.

If he was +10 this week the usual crowd would be in here listing off his many failings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I was posting in pga tour thread. He is playing well just not making too many putts. Hopefully get a top 10 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I was posting in pga tour thread. He is playing well just not making too many putts. Hopefully get a top 10 anyway.

He looks to have done an amazing up and down on the last after finding water off the tee but it wasn’t shown. That could have been a disaster of a finish but he locked in a top 10 which is a very good week’s work

Great to see Shane getting a top ten finish,by far his best week since winning the Open.Hope it sets him up for next week.Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭big_drive

He often gets good streaks together so hopefully this is a sign of good weeks to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I heard the Sky Sports commentary say Lowrys caddie had returned this week after a long extended break.

He seemed to make a big difference how it stays good for next week's major.

Felexicon wrote: »

If he was +10 this week the usual crowd would be in here listing off his many failings

Same with the Mcllroy thread. When the current crop are gone we'll realise how good we had it. No doubt they're taken for granted. They'll be badly missed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Felexicon wrote: »

Same with the Mcllroy thread. When the current crop are gone we'll realise how good we had it. No doubt they're taken for granted. They'll be badly missed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Nice fat cheque.

$268,333.33

• Advertisement

I see that Shane has become the invisible man today, playing with Koepka and Woodland. He just birdied the 7th (his 16th) to go 2 under, hitting his approach to 2 feet from 109 yards. But they didn’t even show him in the background when the other lads were putting.

Good 68, with wind picking up he could be in a great position at the end of the day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

abff wrote: »
    I see that Shane has become the invisible man today, playing with Koepka and Woodland. He just birdied the 7th (his 16th) to go 2 under, hitting his approach to 2 feet from 109 yards. But they didn’t even show him in the background when the other lads were putting.

He's not just invisible for SKY or the pictures they get from the course. In the previews I heard on Off The Ball he was barely mentioned also.

Very weird, he's the current Open Champion. They were talking to Padraig Harrington and they were talking about McIlroy and Woods. The conversation I heard seemed to be a replay and was cut off, but Lowry was left till last if he was mentioned at all.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He's not just invisible for SKY or the pictures they get from the course. In the previews I heard on Off The Ball he was barely mentioned also.

Very weird, he's the current Open Champion. They were talking to Padraig Harrington and they were talking about McIlroy and Woods. The conversation I heard seemed to be a replay and was cut off, but Lowry was left till last if he was mentioned at all.

It bordered on a disgrace. Sky Sports receive their feed directly from ESPN, so their hands are virtually tied. That sort of American bias is ludicrous, happier to show random people walking across a car park or a rake plonked in a bunker than the most recent major champion. He was only in a marquee group after all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭castor 1

It bordered on a disgrace. Sky Sports receive their feed directly from ESPN, so their hands are virtually tied. That sort of American bias is ludicrous, happier to show random people walking across a car park or a rake plonked in a bunker than the most recent major champion. He was only in a marquee group after all :rolleyes:

Fair enough they showed the leaders but also they showed a bunch that weren’t even as good as Lowry, such as Hadwin, Stricker, D Johnson, Ancer, Connors, McIlroy (almost every shot of his), Oosthuizen, Thomas and Spieth.

Hopefully a non US citizen will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Great to see a bit of Shane tonight he seems to be striking the ball really well. If he could get a few putts to drop he would be right there.

Not so great the last hour. Needs a birdie or 2 before the finish

Not a good sight snapping a club over your knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Big week for Shane as currently outside the top 125 in 131 so needs to do something to make the playoffs. He's out with Casey and Reed in the feature group.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Big week for Shane as currently outside the top 125 in 131 so needs to do something to make the playoffs. He's out with Casey and Reed in the feature group.

Yes, those dropped shots over the last few holes on Sunday cost him a place in the top 125. Hopefully, he can make up for it this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Shane playing some nice stuff here. -3 thru 8

Needs probably around top 20 finish. Bad bogey with a wedge in his hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

-9 thru 17 and in the middle of the fairway down 18.

Commentators are just short of calling him a mick, some outrageous comments coming out of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

great round today, 63 with eagle, 6 birdies including dropped shot

-9 thru 17 and in the middle of the fairway down 18.

Commentators are just short of calling him a mick, some outrageous comments coming out of them :D

I didn't see any of Shane's round live, just watched some highlights on Twitter.The commentators are dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Great round for Shane but very congested at the top of the leaderboard. The entire field will be out on the course on Saturday at 9am local time.

I didn't see any of Shane's round live, just watched some highlights on Twitter.The commentators are dire.

What were the commenters saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Birdie on first to join leaders at -10. Live on sky sports golf early assume due to weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Heard on Radio1 sport that they were out early, straight home to press record.

Shane bogey on 4th, back to -9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

2 more birdies now, -11

Advertisement