Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Router for Vodafone gigabit

Options
  • 24-07-2020 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

I just ordered gigabit Vodafone FTTH over Openeir (not siro). Can anyone recommend a good router please? I searched and found some conflicting info about how I can hook up my own router. Is it as simple as enabling a VLAN on the wan port?

I'd like good network visibility and would also like to separate traffic to different users in the house as some are working from home.
    I'd be happy to use separate devices for routing and wireless if it meant that I can get better features.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

I'm currently on 100Mbps DSL bridged to an Asus RT-N66U running openWRT merlin LTS but that router is wireless N only and to be honest I've had trouble with upnp on it (I play games a lot) and also I'd love to have a better UI for seeing what's hitting my network (probably nothing but I'd like the peace of mind :) ). Also, I don't want to have to go through a painful flash/reset process every time I think something might be wrong, I want to know if something is wrong.

The house has 3 floors and I'll probably get the connection run to downstairs so a separate wifi solution like BT whole home wifi might be a good option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Depending on your budget, you could look at some Ubiquiti equipment like their UniFi Dream Machine. You can add additional wifi APs to that also, I believe it supports meshing with their other APs but happy to be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Presumably you will get a new router with your new connection.
    Would it be prudent to test that one first to see if it suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Depending on your budget, you could look at some Ubiquiti equipment like their UniFi Dream Machine. You can add additional wifi APs to that also, I believe it supports meshing with their other APs but happy to be corrected

Cool, I'll look at that. I'm leaning towards one of the Mikrotiks. It might be a bit of a challenge to learn but it should give me lots of options to tinker with.

Presumably you will get a new router with your new connection.
    Would it be prudent to test that one first to see if it suits?
    You are right. However, it will just be the same vodafone gigabox that I have with the current DSL connection so yes, I will use that for a while to make sure I'm getting a stable connection but I know from using it that it gives very little visibility into what is going on in the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Mikrotik arrived today and I got it working. Just plugged the cable from the Huawei ONT into ether port 1 and connected to the WiFi with my mobile. The Mikrotik app allowed me to setup the basics like wifi password etc. I then connected my laptop to the wifi and went to the admin page.

The Mikrotik quickset options allow you to quickly input PPPoE settings but won't allow you to set the WAN port to the VLAN interface

I initially set it up in quickset then changed it later:
    Port: Eth1
    user: vodafone@vodafone.ie
    password: broadband

In webfig, go to interfaces-->VLAN and configure VLAN ID 10 on ether1 (give it a name like vlan10-ether1)

Now go to PPP settings and find the PPoE connection created by Quickset (mine was called ppoe-out1)
    Change the interface to vlan10-ether1 and you are done!

The above setup might need some tweaking but I have the basics working so can turn off the gigabox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Which Mikrotik did you get? I have their CRS305-1G-4S+IN mini SFP+ switch/routers for another network

• Advertisement
Advertisement