Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Social Studies

Options
  • 24-02-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am going back to further education as a mature student!

What worries me most is this degree sounds brilliant and its something I am interest in BUT would i actually get a good job?

My interests would be social care work, special needs etc.

I really wanted to do social work degree in trinity but missed the application date, I applied through CAO on time but forgot to submit mature student application.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

would you consider studying instead one of the other sciences, perhaps computer science or physics? data science is quite in now too

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

would you consider studying instead one of the other sciences, perhaps computer science or physics? data science is quite in now too

I have also have nursing down as two of my choices, I am required to sit an exam in April for that too.

I would worry that I wouldn't be as interest in computer science or physics and therefor I would fail or not do too well?

Do you think social studies have that low of job prospectives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

I'm not sure - I've never looked into it tbh. Just checking that you weren't overlooking one of those sciences, there's a lot of easy money in those sciences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

My friend is doing Social Care degree and wants out after two years. Ask the graduates 5 years after graduation what they are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Hi!
    The courses cover a range of topics, including addiction, housing, youth and care work, so there is a lot of work once you graduate. The HSE will only employ Social Workers, that have the social work degree, but there are plenty of social care jobs. Depending on the work you want a QQI level 5 may also get you the job, but it will be low paid.

I've worked in the community sector for over 20 years, with people that have done a social care degree. I've applied to do both in September, because it offers a wide range of opportunities. In saying that, if you want to work with special needs then a social care degree may be better than a social work degree (try Maynoith or TU)

Hope that helps
    caniask86 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am going back to further education as a mature student!

What worries me most is this degree sounds brilliant and its something I am interest in BUT would i actually get a good job?

My interests would be social care work, special needs etc.

I really wanted to do social work degree in trinity but missed the application date, I applied through CAO on time but forgot to submit mature student application.

Thanks

• Advertisement

There is very little background information you have given us or any understanding of what you plan to study.
    You dont talk about where you have come from educationally or what you are working at.
    If you have no education done in recent years, you are in for a rude awakening if and when you arrive in Trinity. My mate is there and he had one lecturer teaching biology giving 55 detailed slides in a 60 minute lecture. How would you have coped with that lecture? Trinity aint Trinity for nothing. I know someone who dodging SeeTec and thinks she is just going to let onto a 500 point course in Trinity with no recent study. Her back up plan is to grace the Trinity Access Course with her presence.

Do you have you finance in order? Transport? Childcare? Supports? How have you prepared for your subjects? How has your life experience lead you to this course? These are all questions you will be asked at interview. Half of my class either have dropped out already or aren't going to make it because they hadnt that all sorted.

There are different courses for every person. The person applying for social care would have high levels of empathy and would have plenty of interpersonal skills. Not always the same person who is needed for a higher science course (Physics, maths, chemistry, Biology or engineering). There is no arguement that these graduates arent in demand but its a different type of person applies for each course.

Advertisement