Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a way to browse images on FindMyPast?

Options
  • 01-11-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I'm looking at results for the 1749 Elphin Census. Unfortunately, if there are a lot of people living in a townland and the people who I am interested in are on the second page, it doesn't give the name of the townland but instead leaves the place of abode blank.

Here's an example: https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FIO0006%2F358&parentid=IRE%2FIO0006%2F358%2F009

Is there a way to view the previous page?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hmm, it doesn't look like it. Usually, there are back and forth arrows on the browsable documents. Very useful for the LECs records.
    The images are from the Irish Manuscript Commission's book of it, which is still available to buy (€75!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

It's cumbersome, but you can browse by Parish, which might cut down the searching a bit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That parish is Baslick, Roscommon.

If you go back to the search page and search for (for example) Mulrenin, the Ter. entry is in Baslick. To double check, so is Thady Halinan.

If you then just search for Baslick, you get the dwellings.

The entries at the bottom of page 357 are for Lissaloy.
    https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FIO0006%2F357&parentid=IRE%2FIO0006%2F357%2F017

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

spurious wrote: »
    That parish is Baslick, Roscommon.

If you go back to the search page and search for (for example) Mulrenin, the Ter. entry is in Baslick. To double check, so is Thady Halinan.

If you then just search for Baslick, you get the dwellings.

The entries at the bottom of page 357 are for Lissaloy.
    https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FIO0006%2F357&parentid=IRE%2FIO0006%2F357%2F017

Thank you for identifying the townland. The transcription provides the information of the parish (Baslick) but it doesn't give the townland. Lissaloy must be an old name for a townland. It was the Feenaghtys I was interested in. There was a Feenaghty family in Tully in 1901. Tully would be in the parish of Kilcorkey. I was hoping that the name of the townland would be similar to Tully and I could assume that the townland was in Baslick back then. There are some surnames in the townland that are the same such as Concannon, Flynn, Glynn, Donnellan and Beaty but nothing very convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Hmm, it doesn't look like it. Usually, there are back and forth arrows on the browsable documents. Very useful for the LECs records.
    The images are from the Irish Manuscript Commission's book of it, which is still available to buy (€75!)

Would you believe it but I might actually do that some time. It would be much easy to search by townland that way. The spelling of surnames varied so much back then that it can be hard enough to find people.

I was searching for another family in my tree. I had to laugh that even back in 1749, they were still using Daniel and Bernard as family names. Rosamunda and Giles seem to have been common enough names for women back then. I'm also surprised by the number of welders!

• Advertisement
Advertisement