Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drinks in glass bottles or cans?

• 04-09-2020 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Which do you prefer? Do you think it makes a difference? Does it depend on the type of drink, e.g. is coke nicer in glass bottles but beer nicer in cans?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Coke is nicer from a can.
    Beer is nicer draught from a pint glass. I usually pour cans unless I'm on a bus or festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Well I prefer Guinness extra stout in a bottle to the draught stuff in the can.

I think Mackeson stout is superior to Guinness and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I don’t like how all the craft beer breweries have started to move from 500ml glass bottles to 440ml cans while upping the price of their already premium priced beer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Depends, I usually prefer bottles but if I'm drinking outside then it has to be cans for that classic knacker-drinking look, easier to get rid of them afterwards too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Fanta, coke and cidona are so much nicer out of a glass bottle. Lilt is nicest out of a can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,530 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hoppier beers do better in cans than glass; due to UV light. UV light can affect quite a few things, this is why tetrapak milk cartons were invented and why milk tastes awful from the plastic jugs

For things unaffected by UV I'd usually prefer glass, as there is always a possibility of a taste taint from the lining used on cans/plastics.

For fizzy things, PET plastic is very very slightly CO2 permeable so the drinks stay fizzier in cans or glass bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mekirin

If it's a soft drink, I prefer the can. Beer on the other hand I prefer out of a pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I don’t like how all the craft beer breweries have started to move from 500ml glass bottles to 440ml cans while upping the price of their already premium priced beer.

Sometimes you can't beat a cool, crisp refreshing lager rather than ANALytically comparing Pigs Arse Porter to Goblin's Cock Ale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

antix80 wrote: »
    Coke is nicer from a can.
    Beer is nicer draught from a pint glass. I usually pour cans unless I'm on a bus or festival.

Draught comes from a can, put there by a man
    In a factory downtown

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

What about carton. Surely the best wine comes in a carton.

It depends. I like coke from a can, lucozade (I love it) and all other fizzy drinks from bottles.
    I prefer my favourite beers on draught. When they aren't I don't mind whether they are in bottles or cans. Coors though can't be anything but from a tap.
    I had cans of pink sparkling rosè a few weeks ago. They were really nice but very potent. I drank six of them and died the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

In a factory downtown

Or by whoever wears the pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Look at the beer section in German supermarket, 90% bottles, says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Lucozade from a plastic bottle = absolute pi**

Lucozade from a can = Lovely

Lucozade from glass bottle = drink of Gods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Cans, easier to recycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

No logic to it, but I can’t drink beer from a can. Can’t even buy cans and pour the beer into a glass. So it’s 100% bottles only. Probably related to my misspent youth drinking cans of Golden Hornet Scrumpy in fields and down laneways. There’s a part of my brain that’s afraid I’ll shotgun the can with my house key in front of the kids, and my wife will divorce me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,537 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m happy enough with either but I noticed when I seen this thread that I haven’t drank from a canned beer in years. Apart from Guinness any beer I buy is bottled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Coke and guinness from a can don't care what anyone says, coke is epic ice cold from a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Look at the beer section in German supermarket, 90% bottles, says it all

Mostly brown bottles too, best for keeping UV light out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

As far as I know, most beers - especially craft beers with higher hop content - will stay fresh longer in cans especially if bottles - especially less opaque bottles like the green ones - are left in light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If I am drinking in a gaff, always into a glass. If it is a soft drink ice is nice.

If I am drinking in a field ( stop sniggering please, I made a habit of it this summer and it was fine ) , then straight out of the can, no bother. I always take my rubbish home with me.

I prefer bottled beers to cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Lucozade from a plastic bottle = absolute pi**

Lucozade from a can = Lovely

Lucozade from glass bottle = drink of Gods!

Where does one purchase lucozade from a bottle???

It’s the nectar of the gods :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

In a factory downtown

Peach of a comment 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sure we all know you're good for it.

Coke is nicer from tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Well considering that that the best beers are not on draught. Bottles would be my first choice then cans if nothing else. Im not talking about some up your own hole IPA or micro brewery stuff but decent beer like Budvar, Staropromen, Lech, Some decent German purity beer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Cant beat a cold can of beer. Bottles are to hard to get rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Cant beat a cold can of beer. Bottles are to hard to get rid of.

Bottle banks are everywhere these days.
    If I have a rake of bottles I uauslly bag them up and bring to the nearest bottle bank when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

IV for me. Straight into the bloodstream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Draught for guinness, bottles for lagers and cans for portability ;)

Don't drink minerals really so no preference there

Advertisement