Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The last social platform you left and why you left it?

• 30-08-2020 11:21am

I left Yahoo as a platform, I only now have an unimportant email address there.
    It's a shell, and to be honest an echo chamber of its former self.

What platform have you stopped using could be serious or fun, from LinkedIn to Bebo.
    Has it closed down since you left it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have been thinking about leaving Facebook for some time but still haven't pulled the trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Twitter - that kind of derangement isn't good to be exposed to.

None unless you count G+ but that went wallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Twitter. It's a digital shytepipe.

I've also almost stopped using youtube completely. Susan and her lackeys have destroyed it and it's glory days are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Had a Yahoo! account/email for years from about 1996. I can still log in, but I haven't used it since 2009. I logged in last year just to take a look, and all my old emails had been deleted. Was pretty pissed off about that.

We used to use Yahoo Messenger in work, as an unofficial communication tool that the company couldn't snoop on/you could control who had you on it. I had a seperate account just for that, but we switched to Skype and I can't remember the login now.

Can't be arsed to formally close my accounts, so they just sits there.

I fully expect the same thing to happen to my Facebook, Google, Apple and Boards accounts within my lifetime. Something will replace all of these. There was a time when the likes of Yahoo! and AOL were the internet.

I have a Twitter account, but don't use it at all. Same with Instagram. Just set them up to see what they were about, and they didn't interest me.

• Advertisement

The way Twitter works you can make it exactly what you want by following what you want. If it's ****e then you're following ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

i didn't really delete them but i haven't been on fb for months ....people stopped using it ..moved to whatsapp ..I HATE whatsapp...its more socially awkward you can't just have a profile you have to join a group and you don't control who is in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The way Twitter works you can make it exactly what you want by following what you want. If it's ****e then you're following ****e.
    interesting ...the people we are attracted to follow to can bore us sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

Bebo...it left me.

I'm only on Facebook, boards.ie and Reddit. No plans to leave any of them. Messaging apps I wouldn't count. I rarely post on Facebook but it's an absolute necessity where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rawr

Bebo
    Reason Left: Became a GIF-tastic visual mess. It was getting painful to browse other people's profiles.
    Still alive?: Suprisingly yes....just about...

Hi5
    Reason Left: Devolved into the trashiest of dating sites you can imagine.
    Still alive?: Suprisingly yes....but riddled with bots...

Google+
    Reason Left: I stayed until the end. Was pretty good for networking to new people.
    Still alive?: Reformatted as Google Currents (for Business)

Ello
    Reason Left: Became a sort of hipster waistland where edgy modern artists would post up stuff to be promoted by Ello's "curators". Very little interaction from anyone. Instead of a Facebook killler it became a deserted online gallery for pretentious artists.
    Still alive?: Yes, but they're nowhere near where they hoped to be.

Twitter. It's a digital shytepipe.

I've also almost stopped using youtube completely. Susan and her lackeys have destroyed it and it's glory days are long gone.

Thinking myself about letting go too.

Full of angry people.

Right, has any boardsie the bottle to admit they were on myspace at one point or another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I was on myspace. Made friends with an American girl of all people. This is back before social media became annoying.

I used Tinder for a while, but just found it annoying. I would never use it again.

I used Tinder for a while, but just found it annoying. I would never use it again.

I posted about it here earlier in the summer and now I'm just bored of it. I've a conversation sitting waiting for me to send a message and I just can't be bothered.

Is yahoo a platform?..is it not just a website?

It used to be like Google - search engine, news feed, email, Yahoo Groups, Flickr, Geocities - loads of stuff combined into a platform with a single account. It hardly counts as one now, it's pretty much just a website with an email service.

A derelict entity.

Think of going into a derelict boarded up building (yes, they are a thing on youtube)

and looking around. You'll still see a television playing, something, but other than that, you might see a skeleton in an armchair.

there is nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Linkedin.

Secure, public sector professional job. Sick of recruiters messaging me about amazing opportunities for workig for contractors for 3 or 4 months.

Yeah, you want me to jack in a permanent, pensionable public sector job to go work 14 hour days in the muck and shít for some yahoo contractor client of yours that might decide they can't be bothered paying me. No thanks my dear.

Unless you're looking for a job, linkedin is no use. And public sector jobs for the most part don't advertise on linkedin. It is all through the PAS.

But like, it's the internet.. things move on.. did you have yahoo friends like?

did you have yahoo friends like?

I guess the skeleton could well have been one in that derelict building I visited :->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

biko wrote: »
    I have been thinking about leaving Facebook for some time but still haven't pulled the trigger.

Do it, pull the trigger. FB is a toxic cesspit of hatred and judgment. I left it years ago, it added nothing to my life yet drained my time. You will quickly discover that you are not missing out on anything

I'm not on any social sites except this one where it seems to be much easier to ignore the negative posts spoiling for an argument.

I've never seen anything remotely close to hate on Facebook. It's all just posts of random prayers, lost dogs, and warnings about white vans in the area. Do you all mean in the groups or something?

But like, it's the internet.. things move on.. did you have yahoo friends like?

People would have had friends on Yahoo Groups for sure. Didn't use that very much myself, but at one stage it was the largest online discussion boards platform in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've never seen anything remotely close to hate on Facebook. It's all just posts of random prayers, lost dogs, and warnings about white vans in the area. Do you all mean in the groups or something?

Same, my experience with fb is fine. The only people I’m friends with on FB are people whom I know in real life, people whom I like, trust and get on with.

The only things that appear in my newsfeeds are stuff from pages I’m following....

News, sport, fitness, music, events etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Linkedin.

Secure, public sector professional job. Sick of recruiters messaging me about amazing opportunities for workig for contractors for 3 or 4 months.

Yeah, you want me to jack in a permanent, pensionable public sector job to go work 14 hour days in the muck and shít for some yahoo contractor client of yours that might decide they can't be bothered paying me. No thanks my dear.

Unless you're looking for a job, linkedin is no use. And public sector jobs for the most part don't advertise on linkedin. It is all through the PAS.

I see this differently.
    I am in a few closed technical groups which work really well.
    The professional contacts are good

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Left facebook long ago, due to all the privacy issues. Didn't like what they were doing with my details/photos/etc. The groups were of a lesser concern, but by the time I left, I found that there was a lot of negativity and almost peer pressure within many groups. A need to conform to acceptable group opinions.

I did Myspace, Yahoo, etc before that, but lost interest pretty quickly. Have never touched twitter, and have zero desire to do so.

Linkedin is probably the only one I've kept going (apart from boards), but only because it's so damn useful for work opportunities. I limit the interactive aspects of it, and don't engage in much networking beyond the basics.

TBH I just don't have the energy/patience anymore for much online stuff.

I left Facebook a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I left FB a few years ago but went back to it after a few months as I was missing out on events etc. for various hobbies I'm involved in as they were all advertised on FB or through FB group messenger. These days I post very little and just use it for the various groups as these seem to have replaced online forums largely. Also the Marketplace is useful and appears to have replaced donedeal.

It's true. And I'll probably set up a new account as you have to be logged in to read some tweets, but I'll be more careful about what topics I follow.

I got drawn down the transgender debate rabbit hole though - which is interesting to me, and with lots of balanced tweets/people, but the hate towards women who simply argue that biology is real is appalling.

I don't find Facebook toxic either, but that's just because I don't get involved with the big viral discussions, as that would take years off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

That's interesting. I never had friends on Facebook, I just used it for groups for info re new baby, diet etc. Like a previous poster, if I ever dared have a differing opinion, the vultures would descend. It reminded me of being in school. No thanks! Glad to see it's not everyone's experience!

Yeah on Twitter I just follow a few companies, a small few journalists, and then sources for traffic, weather, etc. It's a great morning snapshot for what I want to know. Rarely read comments as that's where the **** usually begins.

Bobbins wrote: »
    That's interesting. I never had friends on Facebook, I just used it for groups for info re new baby, diet etc. Like a previous poster, if I ever dared have a differing opinion, the vultures would descend. It reminded me of being in school. No thanks! Glad to see it's not everyone's experience!

I never got into the groups at all on it. Kind of glad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Still use facebook for groups etc but not really much else.
    Still around on boards. First found this site through googling at work over a decade ago.
    Others have come and gone (bebo, myspace, etc) or never started for me (twitter)

Twitter is great.

Last one I left was Facebook. Never really liked it and primarily used it to keep in contact with friends when we left school.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gave up on FaceBook. I had it set to private and any "friends" that were on it I had in Real Life(tm) anyway so... I was on a couple of car groups but tired of them. Well compared to forums it was pure muck. Well it's pretty much unsearchable, techie questions rarely got much more than a couple of answers and it was more about "Look at pics of my car" and "here's bits I wanna sell" than anything else. That said facebook marketplace seems useful for many.

Have Whatsapp, but it's mostly again a few mates and some clients and we use it instead of texting and phoning the usual way.

I was on Twitter for a short while. Major echo chambers all over the place. Youtube I love for the content you can find, but I'd almost never comment on a vid, so avoid the usual retards on that platform.

Reddit I found OK, but don't like the format. Yeah you can make it kinda linear like a forum, but since so few do threads tend to end up the same way anyway with whatever the local mob opinion is getting to the top on the back of upvotes.

What I always liked about forums like Boards is you're much more likely to be exposed to different opinions and worldviews. I like that. I want to be challenged. I want to hear dissenting opinions. The more dissenting and intelligent the better. Give me a troll winding me up well over someone who just agrees with my position any day of the week. What's the point of a bloody echo chamber? You may as well talk to a recording of yourself.

Though it seems people tend to prefer that if trends are anything to go by and that for me is both sad and worrying. Then again I suspect that generally people always did prefer echo chambers. Well once they got past adolescence and decided on Who They Were(c). The days of the interwebs of viewing all opinions may well have been a fleeting outlier because of the layout and technology and young* and more geeky demographic before more widespread use of the internet brought things back to what was normal.

*I've long noted the older people get and the more solidified in how they think and feel the more they prefer the comfort of agreement, and loud noises of disagreement freak them out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Used to be a member of the Irish Simpsons and Father Ted groups. Nasty lot - disagree with an aspect of their woke politics and... such open-mindedness will follow! Yet they're supposed to be lighthearted pages. Bullies tbh.

Only a member of music groups now, which are grand - no politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

biko wrote: »

I would delete it but I would have to download all the photos as when you delete your facebook obviously all your pictures are deleted also.
    Now i deactivate for the maximum period i thinks its 9 days before it automatically re-activates then i deactivate again. Annoying thou having to keep doing it. Would like if you could deactivate your FB profile indefinitely instead of completely delete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Used to be a member of the Irish Simpsons and Father Ted groups. Nasty lot - disagree with an aspect of their woke politics and... such open-mindedness will follow! Yet they're supposed to be lighthearted pages. Bullies tbh.

Only a member of music groups now, which are grand - no politics.
    Yes and they ban anyone who doesnt meet their uber-left politics and dares have a different opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Facebook because its Facebook.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes and they ban anyone who doesnt meet their uber-left politics and dares have a different opinion.
    I didn't see bans - just nasty attacks.

And they champion the IRA and Soviet tyranny. Absolute idiocy.

I would once have been considered a liberal - an absolute pinko in the US. I support same sex marriage, voted to repeal the 8th, I'm atheist, support immigration, and I am a nationalist when it comes to northern Ireland, plus I agree with there being a welfare state.

But if I question any dumb bandwagon that is politically/economically/socially/culturally to the left (and there is a lot to be questioned) or agree with more conservative views, oh the above is not enough. You either don't question anything, agree with it all, or you're a fascist - no in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I use facebook really just to leave messages for people. It's easier than email. If some friends are active I'll just have a chat, shoot the breeze but that's about it. I comment on some friends posts but ignore a lot of sh1t that some of my acquaintances post, like silly inspirational quotes or how they took a lovely walk today...who care.

I used to live on IRC but of course it's a graveyard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I didn't see bans - just nasty attacks.

And they champion the IRA and Soviet tyranny. Absolute idiocy.

I would once have been considered a liberal - an absolute pinko in the US. I support same sex marriage, voted to repeal the 8th, I'm atheist, support immigration, and I am a nationalist when it comes to northern Ireland, plus I agree with there being a welfare state.

But if I question any dumb bandwagon that is politically/economically/socially/culturally to the left (and there is a lot to be questioned) or agree with more conservative views, oh the above is not enough. You either don't question anything, agree with it all, or you're a fascist - no in between.

You see that all the time on r/ireland too.

I didn't so much leave bebo back in the day more like bebo left me :(

Can't be dealing with Twitter or God forbid, Instagram either.

I love Instagram! I think it's a really nice platform free of politics. I don't see any of the "influencer" ones because I don't think it's possible to share items. I just see beautiful scenery shots and cute animals.

I love Instagram! I think it's a really nice platform free of politics. I don't see any of the "influencer" ones because I don't think it's possible to share items. I just see beautiful scenery shots and cute animals.

Easily the best of them for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I deleted tiktok and tinder recently could not be arsed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I never really used social media other than facebook and facebuke is more or less dead as form of social media, its mostly for posting things for the relatives to see.

Twitter is a ****show, I have an account but I never post or connect with people, its like visitng an insane asylum that has journalists and companies hanging off every word out of the inmates mouthes as though they were oracles

The one thing I cannot get is Discord, I use it for a video and voice calls with a few people but jesus that is the worst laid out, most disjointed, obtuse, ugly piece of software I've ever laid eyes on, how the hell did it take off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I got rid of Instagram.... couldn't see the point of it
    I don't understand twitter, to be honest, but have started following a few "headcases" for the craic, e.g. Donald Trump, Jacob Rees Mogg, Leo Varadkar :)
    Love Facebook...…… couldn't stay in touch with old friends without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Off Facebook coming up to 2 years now.
    Thought I would miss it for contact with old schoolfriends - nah, not a bit. I now have the numbers of the ones who I actually want to keep in touch with in real life.
    Deleted my (I think) 16 year old Google account last year.

Last 'social' media account I dumped was reddit - keeping absolutely abusive 'communities' (and mods) dedicated to rape fantasies, incels and worse but banning anything that does not align with the sh1te that passes as 'critical' theory

The minute Virgin Media *finally* resolve my question on WhatsApp (can't get through on phone to them) that'll be getting the heave-ho as well.
    Instagram also ditched recently

Good ol clearout the last while.
    I fookin hate Twitter as well, don't have an account but useful the odd time to link to samples of stupidity (99%) or clarity or humour.

People (inc me at one stage) are like lemmings - willing to trade everything private for a freebie.
    Having FOMO disease is not an excuse longterm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Yahoo Chat was the last one I left because it seemed to be full of deviants wanting online sex.I never signed up to the Facebook or any of the main ones today, Just Boards and Discord is all I use now. I'm boring lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Twitter is as good or bad as you allow. Just follow those who are like-minded or share something in common like place, interests, expertise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement