Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People others cannot stand but you love for some inexplicable reason

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Kind of come to the conclusion that Addison Rae (of TikTok fame) isn't really that bad. She's a good dancer and really in-sync with her routines.

Fame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

spacetweek wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar.

I thought he was exactly what you wanted from a Taoiseach, so professional and no gombeenism from him. I really like that he was from Dublin. (I know Bertie was too, but he was culturally rural and 100% gombeen.)

Speeches were always perfect and he knew how to use social media.

(His star has fallen now as Taniste though.)

Strikes me as someone attempting to play the role of Taoiseach, having just watched a box set of The West Wing. Thoroughly inauthentic. The political equivalent of Ryan Tubridy. Oddly, I think I preferred him back when he didn't hide the fact that he's a horrible arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

spacetweek wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar.

I thought he was exactly what you wanted from a Taoiseach, so professional and no gombeenism from him. I really like that he was from Dublin. (I know Bertie was too, but he was culturally rural and 100% gombeen.)

Speeches were always perfect and he knew how to use social media.

(His star has fallen now as Taniste though.)

Extremely disappointed in him. I had thought given his ethnicity and sexuality that he might be a little more understanding of the issues of other marginalized groups. His right-wing stance on housing in particular is disgusting, and his kowtowing to the unelected mandarins is shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Davy fitzgerald

Tony Holohan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Who punched his producer when he wasn’t able to get Clarkson a hot meal, and called him an Irish **** in the process. How clever and funny.

in fairness clarkson apologised and admitted he was basically having a breakdown at the time, getting divorced and his mother died. not a full excuse but explains some bit of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Willie Murphy.

He's a neighbour down the road no one likes but he let me service my greyhound bitch with his top dog for free last week.

Eamon DeValera.

As soon as he got into power, he crafted one of the most liberal constitutions Europe had ever seen. It was an anomaly in the era when fascism was at its height. Plenty of people in Irish industry and politics were sympathetic to Hitler's vision, but De Valera had the foresight to say "No, none of that please".

It's true that he was a sycophant for catholicism, but he still provided for freedom of religion. His 1937 constitution is still the last bastion between ourselves and tyranny.

People who hate DeValera sometimes haven't understood anything of contemporary Irish history. Clearly, there are others who dislike him and know what they're talking about.

A greatly misunderstood man, one whom I like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Simon Coveney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Eamon DeValera.

As soon as he got into power, he crafted one of the most liberal constitutions Europe had ever seen. It was an anomaly in the era when fascism was at its height. Plenty of people in Irish industry and politics were sympathetic to Hitler's vision, but De Valera had the foresight to say "No, none of that please".

It's true that he was a sycophant for catholicism, but he still provided for freedom of religion. His 1937 constitution is still the last bastion between ourselves and tyranny.

People who hate DeValera sometimes haven't understood anything of contemporary Irish history. Clearly, there are others who dislike him and know what they're talking about.

A greatly misunderstood man, one whom I like.

Very good post. Dev is complex and nuanced and people like black or white thinking.

Neil Jordan's Michael Collins is a great example of this. Black and white, one's a saint the other the devil.

From 1932 until the 1990s, possibly, Ireland wanted a strong Catholic leader. Cosgrave senior and junior, especially, were of this ilk too. Dev was a man of his time.

But now people go ugh, ultra Catholic Dev, kept us backward and subject to the church. But he was only doing what his people wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I love Jeremy Clarkson. I sympathise with him on pretty much everything. Yes he does punch people too often, but one of those was Piers Morgan so he's still got some credit in the bank in my view.

Found himself a wonderful Irish woman now too. More power to you Jezza.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I love Jeremy Clarkson. I sympathise with him on pretty much everything. Yes he does punch people too often, but one of those was Piers Morgan so he's still got some credit in the bank in my view.

I was thinking of saying Piers Morgan earlier. I probably would've if it wasn't for what happened with him over the royals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jim Davidson.

Very good post. Dev is complex and nuanced and people like black or white thinking.

Neil Jordan's Michael Collins is a great example of this. Black and white, one's a saint the other the devil.

From 1932 until the 1990s, possibly, Ireland wanted a strong Catholic leader. Cosgrave senior and junior, especially, were of this ilk too. Dev was a man of his time.

But now people go ugh, ultra Catholic Dev, kept us backward and subject to the church. But he was only doing what his people wanted.
    Yeah, that Michael Collins movie is a bit of a farce.

DeValera was backwards-looking in many ways, but his constitution has proven to be a robust, reliable guarantee of the rights of people living in Ireland. It isn't a catholic document as is sometimes assumed -- the fact that it gave constitutional protection to jews during an era when they were being harrassed elsewhere, was very progressive.

There are a few interesting interviews online where he explains his politics, this is probably the most insightful one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Jim Davidson.

Both ‘Sinderella’ and ‘Boobs in the Wood’ were great theatre.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hes the very definition of " ok in small doses "

inherently obnoxious , kind of guy who got extremely lucky as hes a bit of a " man child " and i dont like that term

I like Hammond and May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yeah, that Michael Collins movie is a bit of a farce.

DeValera was backwards-looking in many ways, but his constitution has proven to be a robust, reliable guarantee of the rights of people living in Ireland. It isn't a catholic document as is sometimes assumed -- the fact that it gave constitutional protection to jews during an era when they were being harrassed elsewhere, was very progressive.

There are a few interesting interviews online where he explains his politics, this is probably the most insightful one

Dev was an unmitigated disaster on the economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Dev was an unmitigated disaster on the economy

The Ireland that we dreamed of…

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eamon DeValera.
    If only he'd used the 'empty formula' for the Oath of Allegiance in 1922 instead of 1927

The one person who could have stopped the civil war but didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

lance armstrong.

at the time he was confirmed he cheated was the same time jimmy saville was uncovered. yet both were treated with same hatred. apples and oranges. cheating in a race isnt that bad.

lance cheated when everyone cheated. all in the game y'all. he still won 7 TdFs not having one bad day. raised loads of money for cancer.

Though still comes across as a tool in his podcast. Overall, love the bloke.

Also Ronaldo. though with water bottle at recent press conference incident i think others love him too. i read some of the las vegas allegations about him and i actually dont believe them. not sure what happend and like the belfast rugby player rape trial a few years ago, dont think guilty but didnt behave well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

lance armstrong.

at the time he was confirmed he cheated was the same time jimmy saville was uncovered. yet both were treated with same hatred. apples and oranges. cheating in a race isnt that bad.

lance cheated when everyone cheated. all in the game y'all. he still won 7 TdFs not having one bad day. raised loads of money for cancer.

Also Ronaldo. though with water bottle at recent press conference incident i think others love him too. i read some of the las vegas allegations about him and i actually dont believe them. not sure what happend and like the belfast rugby player rape trial a few years ago, dont think guilty but didnt behave well.

As in everything in life, namely sports; the important thing to remember is that it's not about winning, it's about cheating, and getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭ThePentagon

lance armstrong.

Lance's problem is he seems to be a complete sociopath. The public backlash against would not have been so severe had he not had such a strange, vindictive personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Well there is this one guy.... I wonder can yous guess....

If only he'd used the 'empty formula' for the Oath of Allegiance in 1922 instead of 1927

The one person who could have stopped the civil war but didn't.

Well he didn't know he was going to lose the war, it was worth a shot (in the direction of Mr Collins).

I think it would offend any Irish person to have their T.D. swear fidelity to the king of england, but we should tread carefully here Capt'n, lets not re-ignite the civil war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Love Clarkson! :D Many pooooo's!

His latest show Clarksons Farm was brilliant, I really enjoyed it and seen another side to him, so much so that looking back at old Top Gears now I cant take him seriously when he tries that 'I dont do manual labour' line :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Well there is this one guy.... I wonder can yous guess....

Fr Chewie Louis?

[QUOTE=How Soon Is Now;117444387]Well there is this one guy.... I wonder can yous guess....[/QUOTE]

hahaha. unless its johny marr....can you close the door on your way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters. Lame and pointless establishment crony who thinks he is 'Punk Rock Man!!!' because he says words like 'Mother****er!' on stage to compensate for his bland and dull band.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Barrack Obama. Mass murdering psychopath with a peace prize.

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Love Clarkson! :D Many pooooo's!

His latest show Clarksons Farm was brilliant, I really enjoyed it and seen another side to him, so much so that looking back at old Top Gears now I cant take him seriously when he tries that 'I dont do manual labour' line :pac:

that clarkson farm got really bad reviews but left leaning press. so cant take those reviews seriously.

his sunday times columns were (are they still going) brilliant.

recall there being such an awkwardness when hammond and may were only ones in a scene. clarkson held the show together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

George Hook

• Advertisement

Barrack Obama. Mass murdering psychopath with a peace prize.
    I think you might have missed the threat title here, chief.
    gubby wrote: »
    George Hook
    Heard him on the Mario Rosenstock podcast a few weeks back, something very likeable about him alright. He has some awful opinions but comes across as a pretty affable bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Piers Morgan.Always liked him. I think hes a nice guy who plays a villain.

Same as the poster above me, Piers Morgan is someone I like. I prefer him to the sickly sweet but false presenters on television.
    Gwyneth Paltrow too because I imagine she is a bit bonkers and I like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ryan Tubridy

Only joking.... I cant stand him either!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lance's problem is he seems to be a complete sociopath. The public backlash against would not have been so severe had he not had such a strange, vindictive personality.
    IMHO Lance's problem is he got a lot of people killed trying to keep up with that level of drug taking.

If you are cheating for fame or money you should not be allowed near politics or sport.

Well he didn't know he was going to lose the war, it was worth a shot (in the direction of Mr Collins).

I think it would offend any Irish person to have their T.D. swear fidelity to the king of england, but we should tread carefully here Capt'n, lets not re-ignite the civil war.
    All they had to do was cross their fingers behind their backs.

Besides until 2011 some civil servants here were still celebrating Empire Day and the King of England's birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭ThePentagon

Tom Cruise - always thought he had great charisma on screen or in interviews and, on his day, he was a good actor.

Bono - he can be insufferable when he's pontificating but apart from that he seems like a rather harmless, eccentric person. Also I like U2's music (well, their 80s and 90s stuff).

I wouldn't say I love these guys but I don't really get the vitriol they inspire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Piers Morgan.Always liked him. I think hes a nice guy who plays a villain.

He's definitely playing up to a trope. There's no way he believes half of what he says but he's far from the nice guy. He's hacked dead teenagers phones, the fack pictures, the insider trading/market manipulation and how far he's willing to take his "crusdades".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

razorblunt wrote: »
    He's hacked dead teenagers phones

this is exactly why i dont think its an act with Morgan, i think he is just genuinely a despicable c**t

• Advertisement

IMHO Lance's problem is he got a lot of people killed trying to keep up with that level of drug taking.

If you are cheating for fame or money you should not be allowed near politics or sport.

ah come on. you cant say he is responsible for other people taking drugs and dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭its_steve116

ah come on. you cant say he is responsible for other people taking drugs and dying.

Well what about these guys?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Well what about these guys?

I love this tune. Never made me take drugs though. Sadly. :pac:

Ronald Reagan. Any man who calls his wife 'Mommy' is just a useful idiot, and he was endearing all the same.

Marie Louise O'Donnell, Joseph Stalin, both have a better sense of humour than they're ever given credit for.

Ross from Friends, Nelson from the Simpsons, ditto.

Ann Widdecombe, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin, and Greta Thunberg... straight talkers, no nonsense.

Andrew Dice Clay

I quite like Piers Morgan.

• Advertisement

Oh! I see I've posted that already.

Well I am consistent at least

Sometimes I admire him, sometimes not so much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem with Bono is that he is a singer / songwriter / musician but more often then not if his face is on TV these days, it’s him hanging out with politicians, pontificating about xyz as opposed to anything to do with music. He’s become a bit of a caricature. It reflects badly on u2 as they’ve started to be seen as a bit of a ‘good cause’ franchise who occasionally write and record music.

nobody elected the guy to act, or speak on anybody’s behalf about anything... he’s not an elected representative, showed no interest in being one...

However he goes on about what the world ie. US should be doing for Africa but never comments on what Africa are doing to themselves, mass corruption, borderline military states etc...

hes a grim individual...

Rosanna Davison

• Advertisement
Advertisement