Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irishgenealogy.ie - same record in two parishes

Options
  • 21-07-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Why would a marriage or baptism be recorded in two parishes on the same day? There are slight differences between the two records, though this may be due to different transcribers. e.g. the marriage of Christina Keogh and Joannes O Dowd on 7 January 1862 shows up in the records of both St. Lawrence and St. Agatha's. Same for the baptism of children of this marriage; Maria Christina Dowd on 7 November 1862, Ignatius Dowd on 6 April 1864, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

St. Agatha's North William street wasn't constituted as a parish until 1865 - before that the church was part of the parish of St. Mary's (Marlborough St.)

St. Laurence, Seville place was a parish church before 1868, but not sure of the date it was established...

Maybe the St. Agatha's records are not actual parish records (since it was not a parish church) and were copied to the parish register after the ceremony - although I would have expected themn to end up in St. Mary's

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Haven't checked this out fully but looks like there are images for the St Lawrence records but not for those ascribed to St Agatha's. So wonder if a batch of St Lawrence records were ascribed to St Agatha in error or something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Thanks for your response. From recollection, St. Laurences was established in/around 1853 - previously it was part of St. Thomas. I've since found another single entry 'duplicate' in both Lucan and St. Mary's in Haddington Road, so it looks like they might be errors. I've asked the question via the feedback section and will let you know if I hear further.

Advertisement