Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whipping Boy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Not whipping boy but great tune

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Joffrey

I like your taste, Urban. I think the Murder Capital debut is remarkable. I absolutely adore it. But I was trying to get my mates to listen to it. And all I got back was a "its alright". I couldn't understand it.
    He's a great frontman. I saw them along with Fontaines at some charity thing some months ago. Murder capital played about 4 songs I think.And Fontaines played about 7/8 tunes. They were good. But I'd take Murder Capital all day long.
    Your man does look like some soldier dude that could just lose his head at any moment. I'll never forget the tune Feeling Fades in the Olympia that night.

Back on the Whipping Boy topic - would be lovely to see Fergal taking to the stage in a helmet again. I saw them when I was in college. Didn't realise at the time that I was witnessing something special.

A madman? then don't watch him in interviews, will put you asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Joffrey wrote: »
    A madman? then don't watch him in interviews, will put you asleep.

Savage band ok wont watch the interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don’t know about underrated. They are constantly mentioned in best of lists, and Heartworm is often cited as one of the best, if not the best Irish albums ever. Personally Haven’t heard much of them, but what I have heard left me cold. For me the best and most underrated Irish band ever is the Stars of Heaven, though people who like them tend to really love them. They’re one of my favourite ever bands, let alone Irish bands. Wonderful songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Got the reissue of Heartworm on vinyl and CD. Plenty in Tower Records in Dublin if anyone looking. Couple of interesting versions of the album songs in as extras, and couple of additional songs. Great to have Heartworm back on the speakers again. CD was scratched to bits from overplay for the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It's a slightly underwhelming reissue. Here was a real opportunity to gather up all the period material (B-sides, live tracks & single edits) but instead we got an incomplete release which only included half of the relevant bonus tracks. Instead of maximising the storage capacity of two CDs, the content decision seems to have been dictated to by vinyl running times. Anything more and they would have needed a third LP which would have pushed the price north of €50. A sizeable number of people seemed to be more interested in boasting that they would finally own a vinyl copy of the album rather than the celebrating the reissue and its content. Some of these same evangelical individuals were happy to leave the LP on the shelves back in 1995; instead forking out for the cassette or CD instead. If it was up to me, I would have reissued the album on vinyl with no bonus material and also put out a double CD with as many extra tracks as possible.

A sizeable number of people seemed to be more interested in boasting that they would finally own a vinyl copy of the album rather than the celebrating the reissue and its content. 

I'm not one of those. I have no record player and zero vinyls. The vinyl I bought is for a family member who does have a record player.

Couple of live tracks would have been nice alright. Do they have more b-sides, other than various versions of the album sings and the couple that are on the re-issue e.g Disappointed.

Wasn't getting at you, was more of a general observation of the reaction to the reissue.

In terms of what's not there:

Twinkle (US Radio Edit)

Twinkle (UK Radio Edit)

We Don't Need Nobody Else (Radio Edit)

Plaything

Here I Am

Favourite Sister (Live)

Blinded (Live)

Personality (Live)

Users (Live)

Fiction (Live)

The Honeymoon Is Over (Live)

All the above appeared on the 7", promo & CD singles of the time so quite a bit missing. The live tracks are great and are soundboard recordings. There was a similar problem with Neneh Cherry's Raw Like Sushi reissue. That was a triple LP and the three CDs each had about 25/26 minutes of unused space - with some key mixes missing including the single version of Buffalo Stance.

• Advertisement

Thank you for that. Going to try to source those tunes that are not on the albums. The song Disappointed on the extras of the Heartworm re-issue is a good tune. Hadn't heard it before.

I just think Heartworm is such an amazing album. I know there is debate as to it's status as best Irish album ever. But for me, it's my favourite worldwide album ever. Before I get slated, I'm not saying its the best album ever made, but just that for me if I had to pick one album to keep whilst disposing of everything else, it would definately be this album.

Definitely a classic album and best of 1995 where it had stiff competition. My 15 year old son is now a fan and has got a couple of friends into it too. It resonates…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭jacool

Whipping Boy have made it onto the back of the 2022 Bohemians jersey. Paul Page is a fan.

The back neck of the shirt features the words 'we don't need nobody else' by the Dublin band Whipping Boy, from the track of the same title, released on Heartworm in 1995. Club member and Whipping Boy guitarist Paul Page commented: “We wrote this, a song of defiance, when we had nothing, and meant nothing to nobody. Now, the club I have supported since I was a boy, will take to the field next season with this emblazoned on their jersey. Proud beyond words.”

Advertisement