Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

searching for Guerins & Heffernan relatives

• 28-11-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi...I'm Kate, ne Kathleeen Guerin. I'm researching my great grandparents, James Guerin and Mary Heffernan. They were married and had eleven children, christened at St Marys in Listowel, Co Kerry. The time span of children was from 1860s thru 1880s. My Grandfather was Patrick Joseph Guerin. His siblings were Maurice, Joseph, John, Michael, Denis, Hannah, Ellen, Daniel,and James (the first Patrick died).
    Per 1911 Ireland Census, in Listowel Urban, Co Kerry, James, Mary and Ellen, and Ellen’s son Gerald Collor lived at #6 in the townland of Ballgrennan, the barony of Clommanrice, and the parish of Finage; and Heffernan relatives (maybe Mary’s nephew) lived in #7.
    Does anyone know any Guerins or Heffernans related to my ancestors? Please contact me at katema@aol.com or mackattack49@yahoo.com.
    Thanks so much...Kate (nee Kate Guerin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Hi Kate, I don't have any ancestors of those surnames, but I thought I'd bring this new website to your attention. It's from the government therefore it's free access - it's got a lot of parish data, so far only from Co. Kerry & Dublin. You may find it useful. http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ I have't looked at any ancestry stuff in Kerry, but have noticed an awful lot of Guerins in Co. Limerick.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I'm pretty sure I saw quite a few Heffernans from Kerry crop up on it too, which may be of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 madhatter49

thanks so much, Scoob...I have been using this link and have continued to make inroads...any idea where deaths are recorded in Ireland...someplace central, or church records and cemetaries...in the states we can get maiden names off the death social security index. I could use a maiden name or two to inch back further.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

To get a birth death or marriage certificate you firstly need to go through the index here - http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;c=1408347
    These indexes began in 1864, and come up to 1958. Non Catholics had civil records from an earlier date, about 1846 I think.

Narrow down your search be area, name event etc. When you've found the person of interest, collect the information you'll need to fill out the form to get the certificate in the General Register Office in Dublin.

Let me know if I can help any more.

I think I might have found the years my great grandparents died (1915 - 1919) on that website you posted. Will the actual certificates have their respected mothers' maiden names included? Will is list their spouses? and other info on death certificate?

thanks so much for your help, scoob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Kate,

Have a read of the sticky below: it details what's on each type of cert.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579524

Death certs don't have parents names at all. It's only since 2008 that Irish death certs include this information, and even then, it's only if the person registering the death knows it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

thanks Pinky....I had already cut and paste that post, and am processing bits of that info as I go along....I've hit a brick wall and feel like I'm playing suduko and at this point I have to make an educated guess on the maiden names....if I'm wrong I might end up with two 4s in the suduko grid.
    I have a number of possibilities. Someone posted, maybe you, a blurb about Irish tradition of the naming of sons (paternal grandfather's name, then maternal grandfathers name, then fathers name), so I'm trying to use that in my educational guesses.
    Are family bibles used to record births, marriages, deaths, in Ireland?

They are - but it's mainly a Protestant tradition. I've never come across any Catholics who had one.

The naming patterns should only be used as a guideline - not everyone did it. Incidentally, I have a Guerins family too - with an S though. They are mainly Limerick and Waterford though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    They are - but it's mainly a Protestant tradition. I've never come across any Catholics who had one.

The naming patterns should only be used as a guideline - not everyone did it. Incidentally, I have a Guerins family too - with an S though. They are mainly Limerick and Waterford though.

hi...I'm looking at these past posts several years later; I've made a lot of in roads since you posted a reply. I found out that my Cornelius Guerin and his wife Lizzie Mitchell lived in Waterford while he was in the RIC. Are there any sites online to access Waterford other than the LDS sites? I know Lizzie had a number of children who died at birth or shortly after and I'm trying to locate them. Thanks!

Waterford is poorly represented online.

http://www.waterfordcountylibrary.ie/en/familyhistory/

The library has a few bits. They're not on either parish record site yet. Parish records are in the National Library so the LDS will have copies. The NLI is tendering to digitise theirs so hopefully later this year there'll be scans of them online (they are not transcribing, just scanning).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement