Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenter/Joinery Apprenticeship help

Options
  • 04-01-2021 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

My son is due to sit his leaving cert in June and is hoping to secure a carpentry apprenticeship.
    He seems unsure as to how you obtain an employer to sponsor him.
    I had a look at a couple of websites, apprenticeship.ie , Solas which explains the process but not how you go about securing a employer.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how you find an employer, we’re living near Ashbourne, he’ll be 17 when sitting leaving cert.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Ideal route for an interested novice woodworker who has a love of al things wood,

would be Letterfrack College. It would be far superior to any woodworking apprenticeship.

Apprentice was always another word for cheap labour, throughout my 40 year woodworking career,

and I dont know if much has changed as I have had limited contact in that area anymore.

But I do know a couple of my early day enthusiastic apprentices from years back, later went to Letterfrack,

and became very able woodworkers. There they had the chance to excel instead of being a cheap form of labour.

If he had this opportunity it would be the best. E mail them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dkelly95

Hi,

My son is due to sit his leaving cert in June and is hoping to secure a carpentry apprenticeship.
    He seems unsure as to how you obtain an employer to sponsor him.
    I had a look at a couple of websites, apprenticeship.ie , Solas which explains the process but not how you go about securing a employer.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how you find an employer, we’re living near Ashbourne, he’ll be 17 when sitting leaving cert.

Thanks

Hi, I understand it's a big decision to make for your son and you're looking for as much info as possible.

So first of all I'd say is there's a few questions you should ask.

What kind of work is he interested in? I.e does he like cabinet making, joinery, roofing etc..? Or has he an overall interest in construction or is he not sure?

Has he any past work experience in construction or carpentry? If yes, did he enjoy it?

Is he doing construction studies/ engineering for the leaving cert? If yes does he enjoy it?

Has he any college courses in mind or is he set on an apprenticeship?

Not long finished my own apprenticeship so I'd be happy to help!

Advertisement