Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People using the Irish version of their name on Facebook

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I always see teachers and guards I know who keep their name irish for Facebook, I always assumed it was to stop students/scumbags from finding them too easily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was in Lidl once and this man was talking/giving out to his kids in Irish. I secretly thought he was a pretentious twat, for speaking our native language, I know it sounds weird but maybe it was because he just seemed like a twat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Shinners and/or teachers usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

People use it to hide their identity to a certain degree, my cousin is a teacher and uses her Irish name so as the kids parents can't look her up...seems to be a common practice in that line of work

If OnlyFans creators copped onto this, I'd say that'd go some way to banishing notions of Irish being the language of chaste dancers at crossroads.

...ah, who am I kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ireland is obviously a bilingual little country and we all know people who use the Irish version of their first and/or last surname on Facebook.(nothing wrong with it) I'm just considering this aspect ... in work could a person use the irish version of their name to sign contracts/sign off on emails or is this not ok? A lot of people tend to jump on board for this for Seachtain na Gaeilge...is this something that would only be ok on a social media platform or? Genuine question...

Your name is your name. If you use the Irish version then why can't you use it in work? Your right to use Irish is protected by law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

That's exactly what I meant ...if I wanted to use the "Irish" version of my surname for email sign off during seachtain na gaeilge would that be okay.
    It's a legal version of your name, as far as I know, and so you can certainly use it. It's confusing to switch names at work though, even if your job doesn't deal with people abroad there are lots of immigrants who didn't go to school here. I'd suggest having both names rather than completely switching. Maybe have a dual language signature - translate the whole lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ireland is obviously a bilingual little country and we all know people who use the Irish version of their first and/or last surname on Facebook.(nothing wrong with it)
    I'm just considering this aspect ... in work could a person use the irish version of their name to sign contracts/sign off on emails or is this not ok?
    A lot of people tend to jump on board for this for Seachtain na Gaeilge...is this something that would only be ok on a social media platform or?
    Genuine question...
    If you have proof of usage for 2 yrs and in some circumstances 6 months you can use this name on official documents and get your passport made out in it.

Using the two at the same time no though.

The english version will be still noted on the passport ..or a note will be made on your passport to explain any discrepancy.

Same with official documents.

With some documents that are not as official...i dont know.

However if you are known to use the English name ....no its not acceptable.

If you are known as Sean Smith all the time. You should sign Sean Smith and you should have your passport as Sean Smith if you mean to go on using that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I always see teachers and guards I know who keep their name irish for Facebook, I always assumed it was to stop students/scumbags from finding them too easily

Don’t know why they’d bother. Just have your profile private x100, so that no fûcker can find you... and personalize your settings so even if you have a unique name.. people need to be friended by you as opposed to the opposite being attainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

For the most par in Ireland, you can call yourself whatever you want. In fact, one way of legally changing your name is by “use and repute” - basically insisting on using a certain name, and insisting that others do too. If you can show that you’ve done this for at least two years, that new name becomes legally yours.

Years ago, it was common for female children who’s official first name was Mary to be known by their middle name. Both my mother and my wife have “Mary” as their first name on their birth certs, but were never actually called that name at all.

Advertisement