Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing my name to Irish.. passports, official documents, etc

• 12-02-2006 5:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

I want to change my name to somethin' else. My friend has his name as "Domhnall Ní Rían" on the passport and "Donal Ryan" on the drivers licence. He told me that us Irish are entitled to use both our anglacised names and original Irish names. I rang 11850 but they don't know what I'm on about. Nothin' on the Google main database either.

Any ideas on how I go about doing this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You have to change your name by deed poll

Lots of info here

But if it's something as simple as just the Irish translation of your name then you should be able to just start using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why would you ring 11850?????

And doesn't "Ní" signify a female name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I believe my sister is down on some stuff with her Irish name, and she didn't change her name or anything. However I don't have any details, the only thing I can remember is that we got two sets of those iodine pills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

BuffyBot wrote:
    Why would you ring 11850?????

And doesn't "Ní" signify a female name?

Yes, Ní generally means daughter of :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

What you can do is have your name in Irish on your passport, but on another page of the passport it'll have written in small text "Bearer was registered at birth as <english version of your name>". I have this done, the only problem is I never went about changing my name on my bank accounts/college registration so it's a bit incomplete. But you're right, I think Irish people are entitled to use either the Irish or the anglicised versions of their names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Can you just drop your middle name easily? For example, could "Paul Ignatius Murphy" just become "Paul Murphy" on the passport without deed poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah you can use both but I'd imagine it'd be a bit annoying when travelling to foreign places where you cant explain why the name on your passport doesn't mathch the name on your ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Was that a reply to me, or regarding the Irish names?

Irish names in general. I'm not so sure about the middle names thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭toString

The best way to find out is to get in touch with the passport office. As far I know you have to provide some evidence that you have been using the Irish version of your name. I think its good idea because you can use the english version of your name, the irish version or a mixture of both.

• Advertisement

I could also be good in other counrtries, like if someone makes a complaint against an Alice Murphy and you say "Alice Murphy? I dont know who she is, I'm Ailis ni Mhuricú"

Two names can be handy in a spot of trouble ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Okay, ask me and I'll try clarify info. Used to work in said place...sshh.

If you want to use your Irish version of your name, just use it...its your name. Your best bet is to get your birth certificate re registered with both versions of your name on it.

Regarding the passports. If you want to change your name on your passport from english version of your name to irish, you must provide two items of proof of use of your irish version i.e bank statements, phone bills, esb bills etc which are dated older than 6 months and dated within the past two years. And that the diret translation is perfect. You can have the english version on a seperate page, but again as someone said, if you want your passport in irish, be sure to book your travel tickets in your irish name as it could cause problems. as already said, re register birth certificate.

regarding your middle name: if you dont want your middle name on your passport just leave it out when your completing your application form. simple as that. there's two sections on the application form, passport name, and birth certificate name, so if you want your passport name without your middle name leave it out, or if you go by the name pat but your birth cert name is patrick etc this is allowed but the birth cert name will be placed on another page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have my name in Irish on all my official documents, just cos I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the first step is to change my birth cert and work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

11850....?

You can change the Birth Cert if you want, but it's a whole load of hassle. My gf spells her name differently than is on her birth cert. All you have to show is that you use the alternative name in everyday life, and then they will issue a passport with the altered name and a note on the passport that the name is not the same as is on the birth cert.

Best place to start is to change your name on all your bills to the Irish version. Then change the name on your driver's licence. Then change the name on your bank account (you will need the former pieces of documentation to do this). Basically change your name on anything that gets posted to you, and the passport office will accept this as proof of "Everday use".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Holy thread ressurection...

Has anyone been able to do this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Piste wrote: »
    I could also be good in other counrtries, like if someone makes a complaint against an Alice Murphy and you say "Alice Murphy? I dont know who she is, I'm Ailis ni Mhuricú"

Two names can be handy in a spot of trouble ;)

That's great if you want to wreck peoples heads & have the authorities looking suspiciously at you, but is it practical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I was all set get a passport with my Injun name but I messed up by signing it with the English name out of pure habit. It was rejected and I felt foolish. I lost heart then and just did the English name in the corrected application.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tyrone Shoes

Pet wrote: »
    What you can do is have your name in Irish on your passport, but on another page of the passport it'll have written in small text "Bearer was registered at birth as <english version of your name>". I have this done, the only problem is I never went about changing my name on my bank accounts/college registration so it's a bit incomplete. But you're right, I think Irish people are entitled to use either the Irish or the anglicised versions of their names.
    What did you do to get your name in Irish on your passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

11850 still exists in this modern age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I want to change my name to somethin' else. on the Google main database either.

Any ideas on how I go about doing this? Thanks.

Íosa Mac Feice

Advertisement