Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chael Sonnen Vs Jon Jones

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

it amazes me how ufc fans in ireland don't understand that there is only one suitable venue in Ireland for the ufc - o2 point depot. and it's booked out months in advance and frequently around the typical ufc weekends. dana white wants to do a paddy's day weekend in ireland but can't get a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

it amazes me how ufc fans in ireland don't understand that there is only one suitable venue in Ireland for the ufc - o2 point depot. and it's booked out months in advance and frequently around the typical ufc weekends. dana white wants to do a paddy's day weekend in ireland but can't get a venue.

Er....... this is true of many of the places that UFC go to. Just because it's book months in advance, doesn't mean it can't be booked. They put on about 50 shows a year now, i'm pretty sure they know how to book a venue.

Also, just because Paddys Day would be ideal, doesn't mean it rules out every other time of year (UFC 93 was, after all, in January)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Big ask for Sonnen here, but at least we will get someone who will most probably make jones move backwards and force the issue. All the opponents lately have just stood on the edge of jones reach and got picked apart

Great card, should be entertaining

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Er....... this is true of many of the places that UFC go to. Just because it's book months in advance, doesn't mean it can't be booked. They put on about 50 shows a year now, i'm pretty sure they know how to book a venue.

Also, just because Paddys Day would be ideal, doesn't mean it rules out every other time of year (UFC 93 was, after all, in January)

... no it's not. the UK has at least 10 venues.

• Advertisement

... no it's not. the UK has at least 10 venues.

I said MANY, not EVERY.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I said MANY, not EVERY.

what other european destintation have the ufc routinely returned to. what are you talking about mrstuffin would you not just accept the obvious.

what other european destintation have the ufc routinely returned to. what are you talking about mrstuffin would you not just accept the obvious.

I never said every, I never said Europe, I never said routinely returning to.............

Did you even read my post? Or yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

I'll try and get this thread back on topic.

I firmly believe Jones is going to smash Sonnen, inside 2 rounds. I don't think Chael has the skill set to beat Jones.
    I could be completely wrong though and would happily accept so just for the post fight interview alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Toughest pick of this card is definitely Bisping vs. Belcher. Both have a good all round skill set which has been tested in the past. People can easily forget Bisping's no slouch on the ground but I think Belcher may edge it especially after that fine grappling performance against Palhares. Both are accomplished strikers who aren't afraid to stand and trade. I think Belcher might be the more creative striker but it's difficult to know how that would help in this situation. Bisping showed excellent wrestling against Sonnen and Stann and Belcher lost out Okami in that regard so it may be an opportunity for Bisping to go against the norm and grind out a win.

In my opinion Phil Davis is way out of the league of Vinny Magalhães. Yes Vinny is a top level grappler but Davis is a world class wrestler and getting him down is not going to be easy and even when he gets there Vinny will have to contend with Davis constantly working inside that guard similar to the way Sonnen works inside the guard.

Similarly Jim Miller is way out of Pat Healy's league and this may just be the springboard he needs to get back into title contention.

If Sara McCann can use her formidable wrestling to control the first few minutes of the fight she should hold out to get a decision win. I can't see this being as exciting as the first two women's fights in the UFC but it should give us an insight into Sara McCann who no doubt will face off against Rousey in a title fight someday.

Gian Villante vs. Ovince St. Prince should be a decent scrap with both men looking to make their mark in the UFC.

Loser of Garcia vs. McKenzie will get walking papers and I can see it being Cody.

Nelson vs. Kongo has the potential to be disappointment of the night if Kongo refuses to use his striking for fear of it going the same way as the Mark Hunt fight. As I mentioned in the gambling thread this may let us see the rarely used yet highly polished grappling skills of Nelson. Or he could just punch his head clean off. Who knows?! Either way I see this being a Nelson win.

For the main event there's always the chance that Sonnen will use that constant pace and tireless work etiquette to grind out the champion and put him in a place he has never been before but Jones is an intelligent fighter with an intelligent Greg Jackson camp behind him. He is prepared for anything Sonnen will throw at him and will retaliate ten fold. Add to that Jones' fierce reach advantage, his match of wrestling skills and proven grappling credentials (Sonnen has been submitted a few times don't you know) and it doesn't look good for the contender.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Munster/Chael double on Boyle Sports!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I had Bisping down by Decision on my fantasy but after seeing the weigh in's i'm changin my mind.

He came in at 186, then the second they announce his weight he was drinking a big bottle of water, before the stare down. Seems he MAY have had a bad cut

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Jones is looking in serious shape. Chael on the other handy looks a little flabby.

Still though, Chael FTW!

Jones is looking in serious shape. Chael on the other handy looks a little flabby.

Still though, Chael FTW!

i want him to win, i really do, even though i've got jones on fantasy i really hope Chael pulls it off. Sherdog would implode

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Same, have Jones by TKO/KO in the 2nd.

My head would implode if he won!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

What the ****ing hell was Jones playing at throwing his shoes into the crowd at the weigh-ins?

Looking like a ****ing tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

What the ****ing hell was Jones playing at throwing his shoes into the crowd at the weigh-ins?

Looking like a ****ing tool.

They were his new Nike signature shoes,just out the other day.https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jon+jones+nike+shoes&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2hd7UaygLqia1AWbk4GICA&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    I had Bisping down by Decision on my fantasy but after seeing the weigh in's i'm changin my mind.

He came in at 186, then the second they announce his weight he was drinking a big bottle of water, before the stare down. Seems he MAY have had a bad cut
    Drinking water as they get off the scales is completely standard. It doesn't mean a bad cut, it means he's thirsty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I really want sonnen to win this. I build the interwebs for a living and if he wins i know there wont be any of the interwebs left on monday morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Belcher Bisping will be FOTN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Still though, Chael FTW!

Calling him chubby... You're so going to be thrown into jail when President Chael P. Sonnen defends his undisputed Light Heavyweight title... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

the amazing thing is that we're even considering that Sonnen may somehow do it even though it makes literally no sense at all logically
    and that is a testament to the genius of Chael P.

“Look, Jon, I don’t need to fight you. I’m the highest paid fighter in the UFC. I shatter pay-per-view and television records. I don’t need to beat you up, Jon - I just want to.”

“I'll take him off his feet when I want to take him off his feet. I got two national championships that says he won't stop me from doing that, but that's not what wins fights. Closin' up your fist and running 'em into the guy's face is what wins fights. That's what I'll be doing on Saturday night, not just taking him down ... that's easy.”

he just makes the irrational part of your brain think it might be possible.... I hope he does it ! but he won't, but he might.... ahem.. but he won't

...might though

Mellor wrote: »
    Drinking water as they get off the scales is completely standard. It doesn't mean a bad cut, it means he's thirsty.

I know that, but he just looked, i dunno how to describe it, he was 1lb over, and the way he just grabbed that bottle, seemed like something was up, i'm probably totally wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

One fight less
    Nick-catone-james-head.jpgA welterweight matchup between Nick Catone (9-4 MMA, 3-4 UFC) and James Head (9-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) is a late scratch from tonight's UFC 159 lineup.

According to the UFC, Catone was pulled from the card "following a trip to the hospital for dehydration."

The event, which takes place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., will go on with 11 bouts.

Catone failed to make weight at Friday's official fighter weigh-ins. After tipping the scale at 173 pounds, he was fined 20 percent of his purse. Initially, the fight was scheduled to go on as planned, though officials later canceled it today.

Catone vs. Head was slated for the Facebook-streamed preliminary card. The stream, which precedes FX prelims and the pay-per-view main card, now boasts just two fights. The start time of the event has changed from 6:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. PT) to 7 p.m. ET.

Catone, who was slated to fight in his home state, was in need of a win after suffering consecutive losses to T.J. Waldburger and Chris Camozzi. The most recent defeat, which took place this past December, was the former middleweight's first appearance at 170 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

Bisping will annihilate belcher with his stick and move kickboxing, ppl forget that belcher lost a standup fight to akiyama ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Jizzear wrote: »
    Bisping will annihilate belcher with his stick and move kickboxing, ppl forget that belcher lost a standup fight to akiyama ffs

he actually won that match at 100, bad judging imo.

he actually won that match at 100, bad judging imo.

And 100 was a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Thinking of putting €100 on Jones win by KO, 6/4 on Paddy Power..thoughts?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Thinking of putting €100 on Jones win by KO, 6/4 on Paddy Power..thoughts?

It's your money, if ya can afford to lose it then go for it.

Before you do, just look at Silva/Sonnen 1, Sonnen destroyed him, i'd never bet money against King Chael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

anyone know where one might be able to watch the prelims other than facebook ?

Advertisement