Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thai boxers in mma

Options
  • 17-04-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

why are there no world champion thai boxers or any thai nationals in the ufc given the effectiveness of thai boxing in mma?
    or maybe there is that i don't know about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Presumably because to become a World Champion would require a serious amount of dedication to that discipline and therefore you wouldn't then go fight Mixed Martial Arts.... if you get me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

nino1 wrote: »
    given the effectiveness of thai boxing in mma?

this, unless you can grapple and have a ground game it won't be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Anderson Silva?

Plus all the chute boxe guys

Of course all these guys crossed trained. No one would get anywhere these days training one style

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Presumably because to become a World Champion would require a serious amount of dedication to that discipline and therefore you wouldn't then go fight Mixed Martial Arts.... if you get me...

That hasn't stopped Maia or jacare and Roger Gracie will probably be in the UFC soon.

Anderson Silva?

He was never a world champion in MT, granted he is an awesome MT fighter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Shane del Rosario?

Shane del Rosario?

Knew he was a good striker but didn't realise he was a MT world champ.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cool hand luke

Tyrone spong is part of the World Series of fighting. He held a few Muay Thai titles.

And a while back someone posted picture of Buakaw training in a Gi after retired from Thai boxing after trying to leave his original team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 cool hand luke

Here's a pic of buakaw training MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sdub

That hasn't stopped Maia or jacare and Roger Gracie will probably be in the UFC soon.

I might be wrong but the last time I checked neither of the above have won World or National Thai boxing chakpionships.

Tut

I might be wrong but the last time I checkedneither of the above have won World or National Thai boxing chakpionships.

Tut

no need to be pedantic.

you said that to become a world champion in any discipline would take so much dedication that they wouldn't do mma. Those examples I gave are worldchampions in their discipline and they have successfully transferred to mma somy original question was why has not occurred to the same extent in muaythai.

Didn’t think I would have to spell it out for you :rolleyes:

no need to be pedantic.

you said that to become a world champion in any discipline would take so much dedication that they wouldn't do mma. Those examples I gave are worldchampions in their discipline and they have successfully transferred to mma somy original question was why has not occurred to the same extent in muaythai.

Didn’t think I would have to spell it out for you :rolleyes:

I didn't say "any" discipline I said that discipline, I thought the thread was about transitioning from world champion level Muay Thai to elite MMA no?

I didn't say "any" discipline I said that discipline, I thought the thread was about transitioning from world champion level Muay Thai to elite MMA no?

my point is that it takes an equal amount of dedication to become a jiu-jitsu world champion and it doesn't stop them transitioning to mma so why do you say that the dedication to become a muay thai world champion would stop them transitioning to mma?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

The answer should be pretty obvious

While Thai is a great art it is not as useful for winning MMA fights as wrestling or BJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

or maybe pro thai fighters make enough money, that they dont need to transition?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

empacher wrote: »
    or maybe pro thai fighters make enough money, that they dont need to transition?

In Muay Thai, They don't!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I wonder if there's a cultural element to it; the Muay Thai establishment in Thailand is notoriously conservative - as mentioned above, MMA is banned in Thailand to protect Muay Thai. BJJ on the other hand is a relatively recent invention and one that arose out of a willingness to reinvent a traditional martial art.

Plus for a striker to be at all successful in the high levels of MMA they would at the very least have to develop excellent counter-wrestling. For a grappler to be successful do they have to develop excellent striking? Ask Demian Maia..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

rain on wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a cultural element to it; the Muay Thai establishment in Thailand is notoriously conservative - as mentioned above, MMA is banned in Thailand to protect Muay Thai. BJJ on the other hand is a relatively recent invention and one that arose out of a willingness to reinvent a traditional martial art.

Plus for a striker to be at all successful in the high levels of MMA they would at the very least have to develop excellent counter-wrestling. For a grappler to be successful do they have to develop excellent striking? Ask Demian Maia..

I think it's a mix of things, but the cultural one is certainly one of the main reasons IMO.
    That plus by the very nature of the striking versus grappling, if you can't grapple you'll not last in MMA. If you have passable striking and a very high level of grappling it's a much easier task to win an MMA fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,099 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rain on wrote: »
    BJJ on the other hand is a relatively recent invention and one that arose out of a willingness to reinvent a traditional martial art.
    We have a different understanding of recent :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Mellor wrote: »
    We have a different understanding of recent :D:D:D

Maybe a different understanding of Muay Thai :) BJJ didn't exist before the 20th century and was developed and popularised in its current format in what, the last 20-30 years? All I know about Muay Thai is "it's old!". I could be way off in my timeline comparisons but I think my point about the mindsets behind both arts still stands.

Advertisement