Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance

Options
  • 28-04-2021 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hello,
    My mother had a Hemorrhagic stroke on Friday. She is very lucky to be with us. Until she has her MRI in 8 to 10 weeks it is hard to establish what caused it.
    She is doing very well with only a little vision effected. She is getting early release and will be staying with us for a while.
    I have no idea what to do.
    I work in the public sector. I can take unpaid leave but would really struggle to afford that.
    If I do, however, would I be entitled to claim Carers allowance?
    I was hoping it might not be necessary as she is doing so well, and I am working from home, however the doc said we will have to keep a close eye on her for seizures and my mother had really latched onto the idea of me looking after her.
    There are others who have offered to help but these offers may dry up and they would only cover me for a day here and there.
    My main objective is to make sure I don't stress her out. She has to remain calm at all costs and I could see me running around trying to work and mind her, might cause anxiety in us all.
    My question really is can you take an unpaid break in work and claim Carers allowance.
    I'm also wondering how much it would be? I know I'm going to take a hit. I have 3 children.
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Hello,
    My mother had a Hemorrhagic stroke on Friday. She is very lucky to be with us. Until she has her MRI in 8 to 10 weeks it is hard to establish what caused it.
    She is doing very well with only a little vision effected. She is getting early release and will be staying with us for a while.
    I have no idea what to do.
    I work in the public sector. I can take unpaid leave but would really struggle to afford that.
    If I do, however, would I be entitled to claim Carers allowance?
    I was hoping it might not be necessary as she is doing so well, and I am working from home, however the doc said we will have to keep a close eye on her for seizures and my mother had really latched onto the idea of me looking after her.
    There are others who have offered to help but these offers may dry up and they would only cover me for a day here and there.
    My main objective is to make sure I don't stress her out. She has to remain calm at all costs and I could see me running around trying to work and mind her, might cause anxiety in us all.
    My question really is can you take an unpaid break in work and claim Carers allowance.
    I'm also wondering how much it would be? I know I'm going to take a hit. I have 3 children.
    Any advice appreciated

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/carers_allowance.html

Sorry to hear about your mam. Here is link to citizens info, it kinda sets out exactly what you need to qualify for it. I get it for my son who is autistic and then additional for each child I have under 18 (at a half rate because I'm married) so the most basic you can get is €219 and then the additional for a dependent child (under 12 is €38 over 12 is €45) since its means tested they will ask for your bank statements (all of them) if you are married theyll also want your husbands too. The first €650 ish gross of a married couples wages are disregarded, and then its means tested on the surplus, also any savings, investments are also used.
    From filling out the form it's very care based, like does she need help with most aspects of her day, toileting, showering, eating....etc. you'll also need the doc to fill out their part.
    Carers leave might be a better option....its based off your salary/tax I think and it's from 13 weeks to 2 years.
    Hope you get sorted and your mam has a speedy recovery.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/carers_leave_from_employment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Apply for Carer's Benefit. It doesn't take as long to process as Carer's Allowance and it's not means tested.. You can work up to 18.5 hours. Contact HR to apply for Carer's leave.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/455c16-carers-benefit/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Carer's Benefit might be the best option for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lagganeer

With Carer's Benefit you can take up to two years of work and your job is kept open for you. It will give you some time to assess how things stand.

Advertisement