Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post postal import

Options
  • 27-03-2021 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the VAT payable on UK purchases for home delivery is collected by the postman upon delivery or simply notified by postman and payable at the PO? Also, do An Post charge a service fee for collection etc. or is it simply 21% of cost of goods + postage? Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

First post in this thread tells you the charges. They send you a text to pay charges in advance online.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

whiterebel wrote: »
    First post in this thread tells you the charges. They send you a text to pay charges in advance online.

I thought this applied to items processed only through AddressPal? In view of the continuing ongoing delays with AddressPal, I decided to go direct delivery route, hence my query.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You were asking in the AddressPal thread. I'll move it off this thread as its not AddressPal related.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Postman will ask for cash. If you have no cash, you can collect it at the depot/PO once you paid (depot - cash again, PO - cash or card).

And yes, they charge the fee. Minimum is 3.50.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

It says on the post office website postman will no longer collect the money.

It will most likely be a letter which gives you a link to pay the charges online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ That's even better. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Item delivered today by An Post. Ordered online Friday afternoon 26/03, got despatch notification later that evening and package delivered today.

Much better / faster and cheaper than processing through AddressPal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

joujoujou wrote: »
    Postman will ask for cash. If you have no cash, you can collect it at the depot/PO once you paid (depot - cash again, PO - cash or card).

And yes, they charge the fee. Minimum is 3.50.

You're welcome.

Postman collecting cash at door stopped 31st Dec 2020

Advertisement