Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Repairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

glasso wrote: »
    yes I did watch it again

the last joycon screw can be accessed just by moving a ribbon cable to the side out of the way so no more screws or anything else have to be taken off compared to the right one

you said that disconnected a ribbon cable that you didn't have to and didn't have the correct tools - of course that makes it needlessly more difficult :pac:

This is getting boring. Please quote where I said I did not have the correct tools. You are assuming. My comment about the thin tweezers was directed at anyone watching the video you posted for the right hand joycon which starts with a screenshot of a repair set WITHOUT the thin tweezers. The left joycon is an easier fix (altho still not as easy as the right joy con) if you have the thin tweezers.

Maybe the next time I replace the left stick I will remember this thread and it will magically be as easy as the right joy con. I doubt it tho.

jj880 wrote: »
    This is getting boring. Please quote where I said I did not have the correct tools. You are assuming. My comment about the thin tweezers was directed at anyone watching the video you posted for the right hand joycon which starts with a screenshot of a repair set WITHOUT the thin tweezers. The left joycon is an easier fix (altho still not as easy as the right joy con) if you have the thin tweezers.

Maybe the next time I replace the left stick I will remember this thread and it will magically be as easy as the right joy con. I doubt it tho.
    jj880 wrote: »
    So it is different. Grand so.

If you dont have the thin pointed tweezers for the left joycon you will have a bad time reconnecting 1 particular ribbon.

indeed it's boring at this stage

you keep avoiding the point that you needlessly disconnected a ribbon cable that you didn't have to that obviously makes the task more difficult and that's the point you stressed as the difficult part

so you didn't do the task the most efficient way / easiest way and the difficult point for you was actually something you don't have to do at all

indeed it's boring at this stage

you keep avoiding the point that you needlessly disconnected a ribbon cable that you didn't have to that obviously makes the task more difficult and that's the point you stressed as the difficult part

so you didn't do the task the most efficient way / easiest way and the difficult point for you was actually something you don't have to do at all

You couldn't quote where I said I didnt have the correct tools so you avoid addressing it and it's back to the ribbons. Then accuse me of avoiding. Clown.

I will concede I disconnected an extra ribbon if you concede there are extra steps involved (besides the extra ribbon I disconnected) in fixing the left joycon as clearly shown in the videos you posted.

If you dont have the thin pointed tweezers for the left joycon you will have a bad time reconnecting 1 particular ribbon.

that made it sound like you didn't have a tweezers as how could you know it would be difficult without one?

the "extra step" on the left joy-con vs the right one is to push aside a ribbon cable

that doesn't a lot to the difficulty / complexity

superfluously disconnecting one of those fiddly small ribbon cables and then having to re-attach it on the other hand does

more frustrating than the whole task itself probably.

that made it sound like you didn't have a tweezers as how could you know it would be difficult without one?

the "extra step" on the left joy-con vs the right one is to push aside a ribbon cable

that doesn't a lot to the difficulty / complexity

superfluously disconnecting one of those fiddly small ribbon cables and then having to re-attach it on the other hand does

more frustrating than the whole task itself probably.

I have multiple sets of tweezers. The first time i tried i did not use the thin tweezers. I have replaced 3 sticks so far so was letting people know the best set to use for the left joycon i.e. a set that can get into hard to reach places with other components/ribbons in your way. The right joycon has no such problems due to its layout. If you choose to ignore the fact that the left has a more difficult layout to repair and repeat "but its 1 ribbon!" then we're never going to agree. I think I'll leave it at that. Mods will probably delete all these comments soon anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mod Instruction: This particular discussion ends now.
    Any further comment from either party may result in warnings/infractions/ban

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm so ****ing angry today. Absolute bull**** brexit, annoying me over little things like joycons.

UPS turned up at the door this morning with my joycons.
    Nintendo put a value on the parcel so now UPS are trying to charge me customs!
    I've already had to ring 2 different numbers this morning, and was given an email address to email, to which I got this auto-reply:
    Thank you for your email. Please note I am currently unavailable. Your message is important and I will respond at my earliest convenience.

So I sent the feckin things back before xmas and its into March now and I've to jump through a loada hoops to prove the joycons were under warranty and repaired for free, because Nintendo/UPS are dopes!

Absolute cabbagery from the brits, voting for this! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Doodah7 wrote: »

This is after UPS collecting another left joy-con to send back to Nintendo for repair yesterday afternoon!

It will be interesting to see a) how long the Nintendo repair takes and b) how long the band-aid fix lasts.

Just to update on this. So I sent off the left joy-con in 24 February. Nintendo acknowledged receipt on 2 March, repaired on 4 March and dispatched back to me on 5 March. HOWEVER it took DPD until TODAY to actually deliver it!!!

Great communication from Nintendo on all stages of the process and appalling from DPD who took a full two weeks to return it!

No charge for anything by the way.

Grand little Nintendo box which will serve perfectly to send another faulty left joy-con off on its own journey to be repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

DPD don't even bother ringing the doorbell. An Post has been flawless for me. Just got something delivered. In 2 days, Amazon UK/an post, non prime and regular free delivery. And doorbell was rung too :)

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Just to update on this. So I sent off the left joy-con in 24 February. Nintendo acknowledged receipt on 2 March, repaired on 4 March and dispatched back to me on 5 March. HOWEVER it took DPD until TODAY to actually deliver it!!!

Great communication from Nintendo on all stages of the process and appalling from DPD who took a full two weeks to return it!

No charge for anything by the way.

Grand little Nintendo box which will serve perfectly to send another faulty left joy-con off on its own journey to be repaired.

My heart bleeds for ya!! ;)

My joycons are still with UPS, awaiting Nintendo to contact them to say it isn't due any customs. I sent them away 3 months ago and it'll be another while before I get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Dmac98

The_B_Man wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for ya!! ;)

My joycons are still with UPS, awaiting Nintendo to contact them to say it isn't due any customs. I sent them away 3 months ago and it'll be another while before I get them.

I am still waiting to get my console back from Nintendo! Sent in Jan, fixed 1 March, but 2 weeks later courier came and asked me to pay 80 euro customs (despite me providing reimport forms), told them I wouldn’t accept it because no customs and asked Nintendo to sort it out (I gave them the signed forms after all)

Still waiting to get back! I would say Nintendo’s warranty at the moment means nothing, because I’m 4 months without the console and if I did pay that customs, it’d just be cheaper to pay someone local to repair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My sons Switch Lite USB-C charger connection point is shot. He's long ago peeled off the serial number sticker. I'm not strictly sure where his mam bought the console either. It was in 2019 anyway. Are the official channels closed to me?

That reminds me, I haven't called Nintendo this week.
    I must get onto them AGAIN about my joycons...

My sons Switch Lite USB-C charger connection point is shot. He's long ago peeled off the serial number sticker. I'm not strictly sure where his mam bought the console either. It was in 2019 anyway. Are the official channels closed to me?

Not closed, but probably not worth the effort!

That reminds me, I haven't called Nintendo this week.
    I must get onto them AGAIN about my joycons...

Do you ring a number for them? Can you send it to me?

Their UK number is +44 3456 050247

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Both my Pro controller and joy cons were experiencing serious drift playing MK8.

Raised a repair ticket with nintendo and sent everything away last thursday.

Just got a NEW pro controller and repaired joy cons in the post. 6 business days turnaround.

Everything was bought 13 months ago so thought i wouldn't have been covered with warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Update: lads I've made a mistake. Sent the old pro controller back cause i thought it was drifting in mario kart.

New one was doing the exact same thing. Realised i had motion controls on, didn't even know what they were. Good chance a perfectly good pro controller has been sent to the dump.

The saga continues.

Repaired joycons on December, Nintendo held off sending them coz of brexit. Then forgot to send them after until I got onto them, then sent them with the wrong customs. UPS wouldn't release it without me paying, I refused. Got onto Nintendo to call them and sort it. Took them ages and countless emails and calls but they finally did...then said they needed my tracking number. I then provided this and Nintendo came back to me today saying my parcel is now lost. FML

The saga continues.

Repaired joycons on December, Nintendo held off sending them coz of brexit. Then forgot to send them after until I got onto them, then sent them with the wrong customs. UPS wouldn't release it without me paying, I refused. Got onto Nintendo to call them and sort it. Took them ages and countless emails and calls but they finally did...then said they needed my tracking number. I then provided this and Nintendo came back to me today saying my parcel is now lost. FML

Jaysus. Think I'll just keep repairing them myself to avoid such an ordeal. Im only hanging on to my Switch now for the new Zelda. Selling once I complete it.

• Advertisement

There's people on here who sent them for repair after me and had no issues. My problem was that I sent mine in that limbo stage of Brexit when nobody was sure what was happening.
    Apparently its settled down now and is a lot less hassle. But I'm still sufferening coz of my timing. If i'd held off a month, i'd have gotten them back and all by now!

They better be actually fixed now. I heard of people getting them back and them drifting soon after. When they told me they'd lost the joycons I chanced me arm and asked for 2 new joycons with the hope that if they agreed, they'd send 2 new sets, but I doubt I'll even get replacement left ones at this stage.

Yes as mentioned previously I have had two left joy-cons repaired recently. The slowest part of the whole process is the return of the items after repair. The timeline was pretty similar for me for both:

Day 1: initiate repair request
    Day 3: Joy-con collected
    Day 5: received by Nintendo repair
    Day 6: repair complete and return to me started
    Day 21-30: repaired joy-cons received.

In an ideal world, the whole thing should take a little over a week.

Well I just got an automated email to tell me that they've just received my joycon (singular) for repair and aim to have it back to me in 10 days.
    Looks like they've either found me joycons and realised one of them wasn't fixed, or have made a mess of something else. I dunno.

Considering this repair has already spanned 1 political shift in Brexit, I'm hoping I'll get them back before we have a United Ireland.

Got an email there.
    My joycons are now officially lost, so Nintendo are replacing them with new ones!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Switch Lites failing to take a charge problem cleared up. Then got analog drift issue.

Ordered the parts and replaced the left analog stick myself. Took me more like an hour and a half than the half hour it should probably take me.

Got it back together and pretty sure it works.. except my console is now refusing to take a charge again. I'll leave it in overnight see if that helps.. groan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Switch Lites failing to take a charge problem cleared up. Then got analog drift issue.

Ordered the parts and replaced the left analog stick myself. Took me more like an hour and a half than the half hour it should probably take me.

Got it back together and pretty sure it works.. except my console is now refusing to take a charge again. I'll leave it in overnight see if that helps.. groan.

Not sure if it’s the same problem but my regular switch wouldn’t turn on or charge and a reset solved it (press the power button for 15 seconds then turn on as normal).

So I finally got 2 replacement left joycons in the post today. Apparently my original 2 joycons are lost within DHL somewhere but I'm happy at least I have some joycons now, for the first time since before xmas!

I reckon if DHL turn up at my door and ask me to pay the €30 customs fee, I'll pay it! It'll be the cheapest joycons ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

So I finally got 2 replacement left joycons in the post today. Apparently my original 2 joycons are lost within DHL somewhere but I'm happy at least I have some joycons now, for the first time since before xmas!

I reckon if DHL turn up at my door and ask me to pay the €30 customs fee, I'll pay it! It'll be the cheapest joycons ever!
    Your difficulties prompted me to just splash out on a new set of Joycons (hopefully revised) rather than deal with the repair centre for a 3rd time. It feels lovely to be playing stuff without drifting again, however long it lasts.

Well if you're gonna throw the broken joycon out, you may as well send it back for repair.
    My hassle was almost exclusively down to the repair spanning before/after Brexit.

I'd say you'd be fine to send yours away.
    I'd give them one more chance anyway.

• Advertisement

Well if you're gonna throw the broken joycon out, you may as well send it back for repair.
    My hassle was almost exclusively down to the repair spanning before/after Brexit.

I'd say you'd be fine to send yours away.
    I'd give them one more chance anyway.

Agreed!! I sent two back and they were repaired without issue and for free. If you don't want them I'll take them off your hands!!

Advertisement