Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D World / Bowsers Fury

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

€54.99 in argos now

Picked this up today. Any ideas on time frame for Argos Delivery. Site says 14 days but I'm hoping that's worst case.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭tbahh

skerry wrote: »
    Picked this up today. Any ideas on time frame for Argos Delivery. Site says 14 days but I'm hoping that's worst case.

No idea on delivery for Argos but can you cancel it? It's on Smyths.ie for €49.99 delivery inclusive.

tbahh wrote: »
    No idea on delivery for Argos but can you cancel it? It's on Smyths.ie for €49.99 delivery inclusive.

Sound. Had seen it was slightly cheaper on Smyths alright but had a one4all vouchers burning a hole in my pocket and smyths don't take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Reminds me - I've a one4all voucher too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sound. Had seen it was slightly cheaper on Smyths alright but had a one4all vouchers burning a hole in my pocket and smyths don't take them.

GameStop take them online now too - not sure what price they are, but if you have a voucher and time is of the essence, could be an option.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    GameStop take them online now too - not sure what price they are, but if you have a voucher and time is of the essence, could be an option.

Had used them before with Gamestop alright to buy PSN credit. You can also buy Xbox Credit direct from One4all site with them so their not completely useless during lockdown if your OK with digital games.

I ordered 3D World from Argos and its with the courier since yesterday. They use Fastway. Tracking hasn't updated yet though so I'd imagine it'll be Monday now. The 14 days for delivery quoted on Argos seems to be worst case based on time needed for them to get items from UK when needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eh so Bowser’s Fury is probably the smartest take on open world design I’ve seen since Outer Wilds, and it’s an extra with a re-release of a six or seven year old game. Modern Nintendo is wild :pac:

Having played through the original game a few years ago, I’m having a genuine blast with BF. Makes Mario feel fresh and innovative once again, as Nintendo is wont to do every few years. Looking forward to revisiting the main game, but this magnificent thing is money well spent on its own terms TBH and the sort of mid-tier project I wish we’d see more from major developers (see also: Left Behind, Miles Morales). Just wish it could be bought standalone, mind!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It would suit me down to the ground if Nintendo moved on from the NSMB template completely, surely having mined that vein to death with the recent releases on the Switch, and instead made a proper 3D World sequel with Bowsers Fury as the template.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It would suit me down to the ground if Nintendo moved on from the NSMB template completely, surely having mined that vein to death with the recent releases on the Switch, and instead made a proper 3D World sequel with Bowsers Fury as the template.

I'd like to think that they've learned a lot from Galaxy, Odyssey and Bowser's Fury to inform a new approach that we might see later this year or in 2022 but there will always be side-scrolling Mario games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The side-scrolling 2Ds Marios generally swamp the 3D titles in terms of sales. It's really unlikely Nintendo will leave NSMB in the dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I am playing this over the last week or so. I find 3d World to be really difficult to control (maybe the camera angles?) and like is called out above, it feels the same as other Mario games.

Bowsers Fury on the other hand is fantastic. I have about 70 stars now. Loving it. Controls are much nicer and each island having its own feel is great. I saw a review calling Bowers Fury Mario Breath of the Wild, let's not get carried away now, but it is better than 3d world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ye on Bowsers Fury. I want more with less water. If it was an experiment it was a very successful one in my book. Knowing Nintendo though it could still be a one off thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Before this got re-released, I played Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS and I enjoyed that a LOT more. This one feels like if you don't have the cat suit and play on easy street, it's just not that well-balanced.

There's something really screwy about the controls in this one, they just feel so inaccurate, especially on the joycons.

The game is also super blurry in handheld mode compared to docked. It's like it's not rendering at native screen resolution!

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ye on Bowsers Fury. I want more with less water. If it was an experiment it was a very successful one in my book. Knowing Nintendo though it could still be a one off thing. :(

Less water ... is this Bowser's Fury Wind Waker Remix :)

Must grab this game. I see people complaining about it with joycons and portable. I originally played 3D World on WiiU with pro controller and the gamepad, both of which are super for this game. Also, on the TV. Actually, the kids played too, with no problems ....

With portable, the resolution is lower, it's 30 FPS and those fecking joycons don't sound up to the job.

Re: 2D Mario, 2.5D Mario, 3D Mario, Open World Mario.
    Yep - all of the above please :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Didn't take to Bowser's Fury on my first couple of attempts so ran through the main game up to the storyline finish before going back to it.

Having given Bowser's Fury a proper chance now, I am loving it! Some really fun and challenging platforming. Not sure I'd want a full game like this if it meant no Odyssey 2 or Galaxy 3, but if it was in addition, I'd be very happy!

I played through the 3D Allstars collection before Christmas and I prefer the movement in those games, so that is one change I would make for a BF sequel/full game.

I think we'll get an Odyssey 2. The Cappy mechanic was fun and really well implemented. Gives a lot of scope for a future game. Plus Odyssey has done so well on Switch, I can't see Nintendo ignoring the $$$ from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭recyclops

Im just finding bowsers fury to be a collect a thon and then bowser fight, rinse and repeat, nothing new or exciting. That and the moves, power ups and boss fights ( outside of bowser) are just copy and pasted from 3d world

what exactly am I missing that everyone is loving or is it a case of people want new mario so much it cant be faulted?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

recyclops wrote: »

what exactly am I missing that everyone is loving or is it a case of people want new mario so much it cant be faulted?

With all due respect, that is a little uncalled for.

If you don't like it that's your opinion, it's no more valid than the rest.
    I certainly won't take time out to tell you that you are wrong, though we disagree.

Sorry it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular more of a sweeping statement and didn't mean to cause offense sorry if taken up wrong.

It was more aimed at what my own experience of the game is, being new to the system I've played it all in quite a condensed fashion ( NSMB, Odyssey, 3d world and bowsers fury). My honest thought was maybe that's why I didn't see what's so special about it, I didn't even say anyone was wrong either more so they potentially are viewing the game through rose tinted glasses as its a new Mario game.

Sorry it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular more of a sweeping statement and didn't mean to cause offense sorry if taken up wrong.

It was more aimed at what my own experience of the game is, being new to the system I've played it all in quite a condensed fashion ( NSMB, Odyssey, 3d world and bowsers fury). My honest thought was maybe that's why I didn't see what's so special about it, I didn't even say anyone was wrong either more so they potentially are viewing the game through rose tinted glasses as its a new Mario game.

Nothing wrong with what you said at all. Reviews of BF seem to go either way, so you're not wrong. I'd like to play it. But I've played 3D world and I have to justify 50 quid to play BF so I'm happy to see good reviews of it. But, still, 50 quid ... And you've also hit the nail on the head, that there isn't much happening first party Nintendo wise, so people are glad to get new content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bowser’s Fury has a particularly lovely flow to it IMO - even with the discrete chunks of level, it’s all so quick and fluid that it’s a pleasure to polish off a few cat shines. It manages to have clear levels without the usual menus, loading screens etc... It’s the sort of thing open worlds can be used to enhance, rather than just filling up a gigantic map with endless diversions.

It’s of course clear it’s also something of a lower budget effort and an experiment, don’t get me wrong - one won’t be mistaking it for the next full-blooded Mario release. But I have a soft spot for such smaller scale games in very well established franchises :) It’s certainly been worth the double dip for me, even though I’m not a fan of cheekily bundling such a substantive extra with something I already own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Im just finding bowsers fury to be a collect a thon and then bowser fight, rinse and repeat, nothing new or exciting. That and the moves, power ups and boss fights ( outside of bowser) are just copy and pasted from 3d world

It's a proof of concept and little more than that.

I ordered 3D World from Argos and its with the courier since yesterday. They use Fastway. Tracking hasn't updated yet though so I'd imagine it'll be Monday now. The 14 days for delivery quoted on Argos seems to be worst case based on time needed for them to get items from UK when needed.

In case anyone else goes ordering from Argos, don't be expecting quick delivery. Fastway label hasn't shown any scans since I got email about dispatch. Emailed them today and they said they are experiencing customs delays with small packages from UK. So despite it being in stock relatively locally in Argos and ordering from Argos.ie , it still comes from UK. Not gonna hold my breath on this one.

Finally got my hands on this. Hadn't played it on Wii U so its all brand new to me. Really enjoying it so far. Just finalised world 1. Loving the variation in levels. Captain Toad bit was good too, have Treasure Tracker on 2DS but haven't really given it a go. Might try coop with the other half over the weekend

Might try coop with the other half over the weekend

I tried this, we argued.

Tried playing with my 9 year old, we argued.

My wife tried playing with the 9 year old, they argued.

It is fun, hectic and very frustrating in co-op.

nedd wrote: »
    I tried this, we argued.

Tried playing with my 9 year old, we argued.

My wife tried playing with the 9 year old, they argued.

It is fun, hectic and very frustrating in co-op.

My experience with the wife was the same and back to 2d mario for us

My experience with the wife was the same and back to 2d mario for us

I played a Mario game coop on wii u with a mate and his young lad years back and had great craic. Cant remember if it was this or New Super Mario Bros U though

I finished Bowsers Fury last night. Got all 100 stars. It wasn't a chore at all. Really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have most of the post-campaign stuff in 3D World. I expect that I'll wrap it up once I have Crown World unlocked (as with Dark Side Of The Moon, I'm neither good enough at super finicky platforming nor interested/willing to endlessly retry in pursuit of gitting gud, so those levels will remain Not For Me), but the last tedious few bits of stamp/star/gold flag collection have driven me to switch over to Bowser's Fury for a while and it's just a delight. More of this, plz.

• Advertisement

Think I'm enjoying this more than Odyssey. Havent tried Bowers Fury yet but 3D World is great.

Advertisement