Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Most of our chances fell to Nketiah and he didnt make a good strike at any of them. Sliced the ball or toe poked it every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭mossie

Most of our chances fell to Nketiah and he didnt make a good strike at any of them. Sliced the ball or toe poked it every time

Definitely not good enough. He should be sold on or used as part of a swap deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sad to exit the cup as reigning champs without much of a whimper.
    There are just too many players not fit to wear the shirt. Nketiah isn't close to the level we need, I don't even think he's premier league standard at all. Same could be said for Pepe, time to cut the losses on him and get rid.
    As for Willian I dunno what to say, he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than playing for Arsenal right now, a bizarre signing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

and to think that we will be loosing Balogun because he can't get game time over Nketiah is very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Well not much to say about that, had to play the players he did and they delivered with showing how crap they really are.

I would be driven insane if I was Arteta trying to figure out what to do with William & Pepe. Massive money gone on them between transfer fees and wages. Also Eddie has to be replaced. Can't play a single striker role. Hopeless.

• Advertisement

Have we won any game that Willian has started?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

wonga77 wrote: »
    Have we won any game that Willian has started?

Fulham, 3-0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

To be honest I’d not much interest or energy for this one myself, League had to be prioritised.

Was an average performance, Arteta has started to clean out, I think he’ll see more here he’ll have to move on.

Willian, Pepe and Eddie all need to be sent packing club needs to stop players like this spending years at the club when they have to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

emmetlego wrote: »
    Fulham, 3-0

West Ham, Sheffield, Man United, Molde and Newcastle, too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Last chance from me for Pepe and Willian. Time for them to show up.

Well it’s now time to bench these two plus Nkethia until we can get rid of.
    They’re not Premier League material, pure and simple.
    Powder puff footballers with no footballing qualities at all.
    We signed some dross in the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Balogun with the timed tweet

https://twitter.com/fbalogun67/status/1352983174264061952?s=19

Probably his agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shoot me but I thought Pepe was ok. Not 67million ok but he created some decent chances

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

greendom wrote: »
    Shoot me but I thought Pepe was ok. Not 67million ok but he created some decent chances

Give any premier league players the ball in the final third of the pitch and let him kick the ball in to the box including centrebacks, I think they wouldve done as well.

Give any premier league players the ball in the final third of the pitch and let him kick the ball in to the box including centrebacks, I think they wouldve done as well.

Well what does that say of the rest of the team then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

For 67 million you need better than ok , I was a big backer of pepe and made various allowances but he simply has not kicked on at all , think we need to cut our losses on him now which is quite sad

Well what does that say of the rest of the team then!

Not a lot for Willian and Nketiah anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

For 67 million you need better than ok , I was a big backer of pepe and made various allowances but he simply has not kicked on at all , think we need to cut our losses on him now which is quite sad

He’s been with the club almost 18 months and still hasn’t found his feet. He looks like a player that’s just been signed. He might do ok elsewhere but it won’t be in the premier league and definitely won’t be at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

L'prof wrote: »
    He’s been with the club almost 18 months and still hasn’t found his feet. He looks like a player that’s just been signed. He might do ok elsewhere but it won’t be in the premier leave and definitely won’t be at Arsenal

He's been absolutely rubbish but I can't figure out if it's because now we play or if it's him. He would thrive at a place like man city imo.

L'prof wrote: »
    He’s been with the club almost 18 months and still hasn’t found his feet. He looks like a player that’s just been signed. He might do ok elsewhere but it won’t be in the premier leave and definitely won’t be at Arsenal

To be honest, I feel sorry for him.

He has never been given a decent run in any position in the team. When he was playing regularly, he was one of our best players in a very poor team. I think he was actually our top chance creator at one stage. Now that we finally have ESR playing a 10 role which should create opportunities for him, he only gets a run when we don't have any kind of playmaker. I feel like he's thrown in there and gets very few chances created for him by teammates, but people expect him to create amazing goals from nothing because of his price tag. He can't win.

He's been absolutely rubbish but I can't figure out if it's because now we play or if it's him. He would thrive at a place like man city imo.

I'd say Saka would thrive at City but Pepe's terrible first, second and third touches, awful decision making, inability to beat a man 1 on 1, bad shooting probably mean he would not.

• Advertisement

about 6 or 7 minutes to go today we won a free in a dangerous area just outside the box. Pepe lines it up and pings it 20 yards over the bar. That about sums him up for me. He's had chances but the flashes of talent are too far apart to even remember. He's never gonna cut it at Arsenal

wonga77 wrote: »
    about 6 or 7 minutes to go today we won a free in a dangerous area just outside the box. Pepe lines it up and pings it 20 yards over the bar. That about sums him up for me. He's had chances but the flashes of talent are too far apart to even remember. He's never gonna cut it at Arsenal

I never saw a player to hit the deck as often. Goes down with the slightest touch.
    Some day I’m actually going to try and time how long he spends on the ground in a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Feel a bit for Pepe today, he laid on 2 or 3 good chances, unfortunately he laid them on for Nketiah.

Don't get me wrong, we need to see a lot more but he's a bit stuck at the minute. Who's to say if Arteta had gambled and started Balogun instead Pepe might have had a couple assists for himself today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

I never saw a player to hit the deck as often. Goes down with the slightest touch.
    Some day I’m actually going to try and time how long he spends on the ground in a match.

In all fariness he was getting battered today, couple of times he showed excellent footwork and got taken clean out.

If it wasn't for Nketiah's woeful shooting ability he should have had an assist.

djan wrote: »
    In all fariness he was getting battered today, couple of times he showed excellent footwork and got taken clean out.

If it wasn't for Nketiah's woeful shooting ability he should have had an assist.

It’s not just today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Unpopular opinion. I like Pepe, think there's a real quality footballer in there, but he struggles in our system. Against better teams he should be used, where we're counter attacking. Our current style of play doesn't suit him. Just my opinion, don't @ me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's definitely not. He was never a 70m player or anything like it. I'm a football nerd in general and honestly he was barely on my radar when the transfer happened. It's just a shame for all parties Palace wouldn't let us pay for Zaha over 5 years or whatever.

That said, there is a player in there to some extent and we need to get something out of him if we want to get some of that money back. A loan to France next season mightn't be the worst idea, he'd probably rip it up again. PL is just beyond him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

OmegaGene wrote: »
    People talk about Zaha like he’s a great player but every time I watch him I just don’t see it, he was poor against us last time out and when he went back to United they couldn’t wait to get shot of him
    Didnt palace wasnt 85m for him ?

Agreed, anytime he is up against one of the big teams he spends eentire match throwing himself on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

People talk about Zaha like he’s a great player but every time I watch him I just don’t see it, he was poor against us last time out and when he went back to United they couldn’t wait to get shot of him

Think the quietly rising star of the PL is Pedro Neto. Still only 20, and improving at a consistent and impressive rate. Fantastic technically, clever, and knows where the goal is. As far as attacking players that play that sort of free Zaha role, I'd have Neto well ahead of him for value and longevity. Zaha still probably a little more effective and productive right now, but I don't think that'll be true for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah I think the peak time to get Zaha has passed , agree on what previous poster said about , anytime i've seen him lately he's diving and whinging at the ref and knowing our fans he'd infuriate us

If Tayto thinks Pepe goes to ground a lot, I don't think he would have been able to take Zaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just caught MOTD. Were we as bad as we looked?

From what I can see Willian & sadly Nketiah shouldn't be playing for us.

How long do we have to wait for players to be good? Nketiah's been a promising first team youngster for what 3 or 4 seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Zaha started 37 premier league games last season for Palace and scored 4 goals and 3 assists. I’m pretty sure without even looking that Pepe contributed more. £80 odd million for Zaha. Would have been a complete waste of money as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Odegaard knee injury but likely completed Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I thought Arteta's team choice was particularly poor yesterday. We have 3 attackers hitting form - Saka, ESR & Lacazette. One potentially hitting form in Auba. Then we have 3 stinking the place out - Pepe, Willian, Nketiah. And Martinelli coming back from injuries.

Throwing the 3 out of form lads onto the pitch together is just a recipe for disaster. 1 of Saka, ESR or Lacazette should have started with them.

I'm also not at all convinced by heavy rotation for a cup game when our league campaign is a bit of a write off anyway, seems a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

AdamD wrote: »
    I thought Arteta's team choice was particularly poor yesterday. We have 3 attackers hitting form - Saka, ESR & Lacazette. One potentially hitting form in Auba. Then we have 3 stinking the place out - Pepe, Willian, Nketiah. And Martinelli coming back from injuries.

Throwing the 3 out of form lads onto the pitch together is just a recipe for disaster. 1 of Saka, ESR or Lacazette should have started with them.

I'm also not at all convinced by heavy rotation for a cup game when our league campaign is a bit of a write off anyway, seems a bit ridiculous.

hold on where 7 points behind 4th place...

13 points behind at this same stage of the last season we made it to top 4

hold on where 7 points behind 4th place...

13 points behind at this same stage of the last season we made it to top 4

Surely nobody thinks we're getting into the top 4?

Does anyone else think that Jack Grealish would be a great addition to our midfield?
    He’s strong, mobile, great at carrying the ball and at delivering a pass. Great engine too.
    Sooner or later he’s going to end up at a very big club.
    I think he’d improve us quite a lot. The more I see him the more I’d like see him in an Arsenal shirt.

I didn’t like that he didn’t declare for Ireland though but he was probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

The cup was the most likely way to get into Europe next year. I'd love to be proven wrong but I have very little faith in the team finishing top 5.

I'm expecting Chelsea to begin improve eventually with the players at their disposal and with Everton and Villa having two games in hands it might be a while till we actually climb up the table.
    Also a big fan of Grealish, proven in PL but do wonder if we could afford him after the debacle of Pepe.

• Advertisement

Grealish will be very expensive.
    I doubt we can get him. Few more clubs will be interested.

Grealish will have a selection of top clubs looking for him, doubt we're that appealing to someone like him right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Watching Sky Sports News and Arsenal have confirmed Ozil has joined Fenerbahce on a permanent deal.

AdamD wrote: »

With such a compacted season I think rotation is inevitable. Maybe he overdid it yesterday. Especially with no Tierney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

djan wrote: »
    The cup was the most likely way to get into Europe next year. I'd love to be proven wrong but I have very little faith in the team finishing top 5.

Who wants to be in Europe if its not the Champions League? Thursday night football in the back reaches of Eastern Europe or worse Dundalk! No thanks.

With such a compacted season I think rotation is inevitable. Maybe he overdid it yesterday. Especially with no Tierney.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with yesterday team selection, should have had enough on the field to win the game and Southampton only scored a fluke og

Can't afford to get Tierney, Saka, Smith Rowe or Partey injured. Will take a higher league finish and a chance of winning the Europa League every single day over the FA Cup.

U don't even get into the Europa League next year with a fa cup win. Heard u only get into the Europa conference cup with the reformat of the Europa League next season.

5star02707 wrote: »

Would love to know how much of this salary we paid up....

Is he not injured already?

He was injured most of the 2020 and now started 2021 with another issue...

I have my doubts if he's good fit for Arsenal.

We just gonna pay his salary till the end of the season or what's the deal?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement