Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Energy Warmer Homes Scheme

Options
  • 05-02-2019 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi There, Just wondering if anyone has applied for this in the past and if anyone knows the waiting times? Im in Limerick if the area makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I've heard that the waiting time is currently up to 9 months for the SEAI agent to call out. That's in Dublin at least

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Applied last May & had an agent out surveying the house last month. Works won’t happen for another month to 2. Carlow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

denis160 wrote: »
    Applied last May & had an agent out surveying the house last month. Works won’t happen for another month to 2. Carlow area.

Hi, just wondering what works you are getting done? I have insulation in walls and attic already so wondering if there is anything else they will cover

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Hi, just wondering what works you are getting done? I have insulation in walls and attic already so wondering if there is anything else they will cover

Main walls of house pumped, small extension to side has to be wrapped externally & full insulation in attic, vents etc if needed.

So the SEAI agent called out last week (Dublin area), 7 months after I applied. He couldn't say for sure when the works will be done but it'll be a few months at least.

A bit underwhelming I have to say:
    - they won't touch flat roofs no matter the age/condition
    - they don't go near flooring
    - they don't even look at the u value on windows. Only will replace them if there's condensation inside the glass or it's old style window frames/single glazed.
    - they don't go near external doors (i did know that in advance) and as a result any glass panels around the door aren't eligible for review either
    - they don't go near heating systems or boilers.
    - they don't go near rads if they're already in place

So it just seems to be wall/attic insulation and ventilation (the basic variety holes in the wall) from what I can see.

And they do a BER at the end! Can't see the point of that if they leave so much stuff out

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    So the SEAI agent called out last week (Dublin area), 7 months after I applied. He couldn't say for sure when the works will be done but it'll be a few months at least.

- they don't even look at the u value on windows. Only will replace them if there's condensation inside the glass or it's old style window frames/single glazed.
    - they don't go near external doors (i did know that in advance) and as a result any glass panels around the door aren't eligible for review either

So it just seems to be wall/attic insulation and ventilation (the basic variety holes in the wall) from what I can see.

And they do a BER at the end! Can't see the point of that if they leave so much stuff out

I got a letter this week saying we were going to get a visit, was all excited but this doesn't sound promising, walls and attic already done, although have a few windows with condensation

My windows have condensation every morning, so much so the edges of the blinds have blackened considerably in a short number of years.
    Better ventilation in the rooms may solve that and the builders will take out existing vents, clean the area within the wall and reinstall the vents.
    The SEAI lad said that will solve the problems but I'm not so sure

• Subscribers Posts: 41,094 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My windows have condensation every morning, so much so the edges of the blinds have blackened considerably in a short number of years.
    Better ventilation in the rooms may solve that and the builders will take out existing vents, clean the area within the wall and reinstall the vents.
    The SEAI lad said that will solve the problems but I'm not so sure

Do you put wet clothes on rads or dry then indoors?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Do you put wet clothes on rads or dry then indoors?

Yes, but only in the extension which has a lot of new windows and good ventilation so those windows are never wet.
    It's the upstairs windows in the bedrooms that are wet every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Yes, but only in the extension which has a lot of new windows and good ventilation so those windows are never wet.
    It's the upstairs windows in the bedrooms that are wet every morning

We have the same issue with full black out blinds. I wonder is it the blinds trapping cooler air and then warmer air from the room coming through the blind?

• Advertisement

Mine are black-out blinds too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Mine are black-out blinds too

Do you have a vent on the window itself?

Do you have a vent on the window itself?
    No and glad I don't. Never liked that type of window.

There's a wall vent not far from the window but it's ancient and probably not doing much to get air through the room

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

From personal experience I know that they will do hearing systems if they deem it necessary.

splinter65 wrote: »
    From personal experience I know that they will do hearing systems if they deem it necessary.

From what he said, they'll only do heating systems if you don't have any already in place i.e. if all you have to heat the house is an open fire place, no rads, no oil/gas boiler....then they'll look at a heating system installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

From what he said, they'll only do heating systems if you don't have any already in place i.e. if all you have to heat the house is an open fire place, no rads, no oil/gas boiler....then they'll look at a heating system installation.

Yes that’s it. A woman I know had 2 open fires and 3 storage heaters and they’ve put in OFCH for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Any one waiting on this, we are on a waiting list now for 2 years for this grant, probably they are not doing any work at the minute.

popa smurf wrote: »
    Any one waiting on this, we are on a waiting list now for 2 years for this grant, probably they are not doing any work at the minute.

I'm on it and waiting about the same amount of time, contacted us earlier on last year to see if we were still interested, then heard nothing after that, but have had all the lockdowns so to be expected

I'm on it and waiting about the same amount of time, contacted us earlier on last year to see if we were still interested, then heard nothing after that, but have had all the lockdowns so to be expected
    Ya Johnytwentyten don't fancy going in to another winter in a drafty house, don't even know if we still qualify as OH was getting WFP when we first applied but we both have gone back to work FT and not getting any social welfare payment anymore.

popa smurf wrote: »
    Ya Johnytwentyten don't fancy going in to another winter in a drafty house, don't even know if we still qualify as OH was getting WFP when we first applied but we both have gone back to work FT and not getting any social welfare payment anymore.

I'm not sure but I'd imagine if you were assessed and placed on the list they're unlikely to do any follow ups on that side of it, there was no mention of current circumstances in their last letter to us

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed might get it done this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Massey72

I’m hoping to apply to get some work done via the WFP route in a couple of months. I currently have a very poor boiler and underfloor heating. The insulation is well behind new spec also. I expect the insulation will be sorted if I get accepted. What I am wondering is if they will replace an old boiler with a condenser one or put in a air to water system or is that just wishful thinking? Cheers

Massey72 wrote: »
    I’m hoping to apply to get some work done via the WFP route in a couple of months. I currently have a very poor boiler and underfloor heating. The insulation is well behind new spec also. I expect the insulation will be sorted if I get accepted. What I am wondering is if they will replace an old boiler with a condenser one or put in a air to water system or is that just wishful thinking? Cheers
    Expect to be on a long waiting list, we got a letter last week to say we are being visited by a surveyor, must be 2 years since we first applied, could be looking at another year and we are not on WFP any more. Don't know what they going to do yet as we have a dormer type bungalow, very drafty and a very leaky back patio door. I don't think they replaces doors or windows, but if I got help with getting walls pumped and bit more insulation, I wouldn't mind replacing door myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Massey72

That’s a long time waiting for a survey. What county are you in? I’m in Sligo and couldn’t imagine the wait being as long as the east coast but I could be wrong. I don’t think my boiler will last 2 years so if I knew for sure they won’t replace it but concentrate on insulation I might change it. A poster also said that they won’t touch flat roofs. Does anyone have any experience that they do?

Massey72 wrote: »
    That’s a long time waiting for a survey. What county are you in? I’m in Sligo and couldn’t imagine the wait being as long as the east coast but I could be wrong. I don’t think my boiler will last 2 years so if I knew for sure they won’t replace it but concentrate on insulation I might change it. A poster also said that they won’t touch flat roofs. Does anyone have any experience that they do?

I am in east galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭GIMP

Was interested in this, we have one room in the house a 'sun room ' i guess you could call it. There is a perspex roof, room is open to kitchen no door and an external patio glass door to garden.

We were looking to remove perspex and replace with a tiled roof and maybe a Velux window.

Would any of this qualify for a grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I had this done about 7 years ago, got walls pumped and loft insulation done, didn't realise you could get new boilers, new roofs/vulux windows, my boilers is on its way out can you apply again?

Had a lad out yesterday after a two year wait, and he said he could do....nothing. walls and attic are already insulated but our windows are all knackered, no air between the double glazing, draughty etc, but he said he couldn't touch them because they're PVC, said if they were old wooden windows he would be allowed to replace the lot, wasn't expecting much but was hoping that he could fix the draughty ones by replacing hinges etc but no go

• Registered Users Posts: 5 reillyjames

I just started a discussion on this as we have just finished having work done through the grant but had a very negative experience, has anyone else here experienced the same?

• Advertisement
Advertisement