Forum Closed  

09-07-2018, 11:28   #46
TitianGerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixonbot View Post
Modric and Hazard. Best players on the pitch every time they play. Dunno how de Bruyne got man of the match against Belgium, Hazard was everywhere.

Kane, Trippier, Cheryshev ,Golovin and Kante have all been excellent too, but a level below.
Vida has been very good as well. A defender won't win it though.
Advertisement
09-07-2018, 11:34   #47
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitianGerm View Post
Vida has been very good as well. A defender won't win it though.
Yep, no defender has ever won it, closest was Cannavaro as runner up in 2006.
Kahn won it in 2002 as a goalkeeper though strangely enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_W...ds#Golden_Ball
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 11:43   #48
Loafing Oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
I know he's been mentioned a few times but it's Modric for me as well - they guy has oozed quality in every appearance and he makes everything look so easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanotheslayer View Post
Modric without a doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixonbot View Post
Modric and Hazard. Best players on the pitch every time they play. .
This is how I see it to but you have to think bookies know their onions, and Modric is only about joint fourth favourite with most of them. I'm assuming Mbappe is favourite based on the assumption that he'll reproduce the form of the Argentina game at some point, but what if France lose the semi and he has an indifferent game? If I hadn't seen the odds I would say it's between Hazard and Modric at this point...
09-07-2018, 11:45   #49
gimli2112

Henderson but I'm biased and that won't be a popular choice. I think Lukaku has been excellent. Impressed with Pickford too considering this was considered a problem position for England when they flew out.
09-07-2018, 11:46   #50
Bandana boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Yep, no defender has ever won it, closest was Cannavaro as runner up in 2006.
Kahn won it in 2002 as a goalkeeper though strangely enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_W...ds#Golden_Ball

Yup was a weird one , votes were cast before Final where he made a big mistake that arguably cost Germany the game , and the Brazilian vote was split between Ronaldo ,Ronaldinho and Rivaldo who came 2nd 3rd and 4th respectively .

A bit i am still sore at as I backed Ronaldo by accident for Golden Ball thinking it was Golden boot on PP .
Would have been a great mistake as he was 16-1 for Ball and only 9-1 for boot , until that Mad German stole it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2018, 12:02   #51
Ferris_Bueller

Of the teams who are left I have been most impressed by:
England - Trippier & Pickford
Croatia - Modric & Rebic
France - Varane & Mbappe
Belgium - Lukaku & Hazard

There hasn't been a real standout or breakthrough player at this world cup in there way there has been in the past, some players from smaller nations put in some good performances along the way like Quintero, Lozano, Cheryshev but they did not perform consistently enough in the way someone like James Rodriguez or Diego Forlan did in the last two. All to play for with the Golden Ball, if someone gets to the final and has a standout game in the semis or final they will probably win it.
09-07-2018, 13:57   #52
SlickRic

The answer is Modric.
I suspect Mbappé will get it from FIFA though.

Maguire, by the way, has been pretty fúcking average all tournament. Ignore the hyperbole of the last couple of days. He's a great header of the ball, but he's put England in trouble at least 3 or 4 times with bad passes. He's also given away a couple of stupid fouls, including one in the QF that was just outside the penalty area on Granqvist.

Stones has been miles better. And Walker too, even though his pace has got him out of trouble most of the time, rather than his positioning.

Lingard and Henderson have been England's Players of the World Cup so far.

Last edited by SlickRic; 09-07-2018 at 15:42.
(5) thanks from:
09-07-2018, 15:22   #53
HappySerious

Lukaku has been great
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 15:46   #54
SlickRic

also, Fellaini has arguably been Belgium's most important player in getting to this stage.

changed the game against Japan.
helped give Belgium the much needed platform, enabling KDB to be in the front 3 against Brazil and cause havoc.

i don't think he's all that reliable over a season as a starter for a big team, but he's had a superb World Cup, and if anyone from Belgium is in the running for this, he should have as good a shout as any of them.

he won't though, as he hasn't played enough minutes, and Lukaku and Hazard (as good as they have been) simply catch the eye more.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2018, 22:16   #55
Zeek12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySerious View Post
Lukaku has been great
Lukaku is having a fine tournament.

Nothing flashy about what he's doing - but he's doing the important stuff really well.

4 goals so far.

His role in assisting De Bruyne for the second goal against Brazil was magnificent.

His work rate has been superb and he's dragging defenders out of position all the time.

Even the simple things are working out for him - like the dummy he sold to let the ball run to Chadli for last minute winner against Japan.

Hope he has a big game against France tomorrow night
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 23:16   #56
Annabella1

1. Modric
2. Hazard

Best goal Belgium winner against japan
09-07-2018, 23:24   #57
Rob Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRic View Post
The answer is Modric.
I suspect Mbappé will get it from FIFA though.

Maguire, by the way, has been pretty fúcking average all tournament. Ignore the hyperbole of the last couple of days. He's a great header of the ball, but he's put England in trouble at least 3 or 4 times with bad passes. He's also given away a couple of stupid fouls, including one in the QF that was just outside the penalty area on Granqvist.

Stones has been miles better. And Walker too, even though his pace has got him out of trouble most of the time, rather than his positioning.

Lingard and Henderson have been England's Players of the World Cup so far.

I agree Maguire has looked uncomfortable at times probably because he is very poor on his left. Henderson has been very effective but he's a very limited ball player.

I think it will be either modric or mbapee depending on the next couple of games and who shows better
10-07-2018, 13:30   #58

I think Walker has been lucky his mistakes haven't cost his team 2 or 3 goals so far. Sure, he covers a lot of ground but he's a liability at times and almost guaranteed to give the ball away in a very dangerous position once or twice a game.
(4) thanks from:
10-07-2018, 15:48   #59
HappySerious

Goalkeepers have been quite impressive in the tournament and are often overlooked...Pickford, the Russian lad, the Korean lad etc.

Lots of gaffs too mind, argentinian keeper, de gea.
10-07-2018, 16:41   #60
Paully D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabella1 View Post
Best goal Belgium winner against japan
Pavard’s was the best so far by a significant distance IMO.
(4) thanks from:
Forum Closed