Forum Closed  

06-07-2018, 23:16   #1
shakeitoff

You can't beat internationals

Say what you want but the champions league, epl are all boring now, international football reigns supreme. The world cup is the pinnacle of football, it never was, is or will be the champions league.
Advertisement
06-07-2018, 23:19   #2
Charlie19

But jaysus the group qualifiers are dreadfully boring, definitely from an Irish pov.

Last edited by Charlie19; 07-07-2018 at 01:48.
07-07-2018, 01:29   #3
Arghus

International football reigns supreme for a month every four years, but rest assured we'll all be back watching club football in just a few weeks and no matter how awesome The World Cup is, it'll feel like a distant memory.
08-07-2018, 10:10   #4
Pauliedragon

It's all down to individual preference. I am interested to see how all those people over the last few years saying they don't care about England anymore and they only care about their respective top 6 premier league team winning the champs league are feeling. I reckon a lot of them will first in line at the tattoo shop next Monday morning if England win it.
Thanks from:
08-07-2018, 10:12   #5
NIMAN

I'd say the opposite.

Bar the WC, I'd say international football is dying. The standard is dropping rapidly. Whereas club football is improving, at the top level anyway.
Advertisement
08-07-2018, 10:24   #6
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
I'd say the opposite.

Bar the WC, I'd say international football is dying. The standard is dropping rapidly. Whereas club football is improving, at the top level anyway.
Yes but for drama I think internationals given the added air of mystery and unpredictability have an edge and world cups only every four years mean more is at stake than in a domestic season . Brazil v Belgium was more exciting than Real v Liverpool.
08-07-2018, 11:52   #7
Collie D

Definitely World Cup over Champions' League for me. Even working in Dublin City Centre it's great to see the amount of people walking around with their flags and jerseys when their team plays.

The fact that it's only every four years helps too. A player at a top club like Madrid or Barcelona can have multiple attempts at winning a Champions' League medal over his career but maybe 2/3 shots at a World Cup. What's rare is more valuable.

Although, with the next one being in winter and then the 48 team version after that I think this could be the last enjoyable tournament we'll see. Unless Ireland qualify for one.
08-07-2018, 12:09   #8
theteal

International football is pish for the most part. There's excitement but the quality is poor. What can you do when you have to choose from a certain pool of players???

It reminds me of football back in secondary school. We won a lot. Nothing to do with the quality of coaching or facilities at the school, we were just fortunate (mostly because of location) that we had lots of players from the best DDSL teams e.g. Cherry Orchard, Crumlin UTD etc. We didn't even turn up to training for the school team. I remember at Crumlin we had some especially good players that went to schools that weren't so fortunate and I felt a bit bad for them as we spanked them in schools matches
Thanks from:
08-07-2018, 13:53   #9
Andersonisgod

The tournament has been exciting, plenty of drama and there's nothing as intoxicating as an entire nation wrapped in world cup fever, nothing as exhilarating as finding out the person 3 desks down from you is as passion about the fate of the national team's fortunes as you are, nothing as handy as having a low hanging fruit like a World Cup to break an awkward silence in a taxi on the way home.

On the pitch the gulf between international and club football has never been greater. As football becomes more tactical, the day to day work of the top coaches of the game, all of whom can be found at clubs, has driven the game a certain way which international football can never hope to keep up with. The style of games found at this tournament would be perfectly at home in mid 2000's football but would look woefully out of place at the latter stages of a champions league.
Advertisement
08-07-2018, 14:15   #10
shakeitoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonisgod View Post
The tournament has been exciting, plenty of drama and there's nothing as intoxicating as an entire nation wrapped in world cup fever, nothing as exhilarating as finding out the person 3 desks down from you is as passion about the fate of the national team's fortunes as you are, nothing as handy as having a low hanging fruit like a World Cup to break an awkward silence in a taxi on the way home.

On the pitch the gulf between international and club football has never been greater. As football becomes more tactical, the day to day work of the top coaches of the game, all of whom can be found at clubs, has driven the game a certain way which international football can never hope to keep up with. The style of games found at this tournament would be perfectly at home in mid 2000's football but would look woefully out of place at the latter stages of a champions league.
The game becoming overly tactical doesn't make it a better watch though. International football plays out more naturally
08-07-2018, 16:47   #11
Andersonisgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeitoff View Post
The game becoming overly tactical doesn't make it a better watch though. International football plays out more naturally
A better watch is very subjective but it's plain to see how much more advanced elite club football is to the far more individualistic international football.
08-07-2018, 16:50   #12
Dr. Bre

This has been the best World Cup for as long as I can remember
Thanks from:
08-07-2018, 17:36   #13
SharpshooterTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bre View Post
This has been the best World Cup for as long as I can remember
People always say this, and continually said during the 2014 WC. BBC put this to a poll just before the 2014 WC final and found the best world cup ever was:

2014 - 39.0%
1990 - 10.5%
1966 - 8.8%
1998 - 8.4%
2006 - 8.1%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28268842

Expect the 2022 WC to win this 4 years time.

Last edited by SharpshooterTom; 08-07-2018 at 17:44.
(2) thanks from:
08-07-2018, 18:57   #14
Arghus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasFlynn View Post
People always say this, and continually said during the 2014 WC. BBC put this to a poll just before the 2014 WC final and found the best world cup ever was:

2014 - 39.0%
1990 - 10.5%
1966 - 8.8%
1998 - 8.4%
2006 - 8.1%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28268842

Expect the 2022 WC to win this 4 years time.
There is usually a case of recency bias in these things, absolutely. But I do think this year's World Cup has a legitimately good case for being the best since 1998. The quality of the final three meaningful games will either put it ahead or behind 2006 in the overall quality stakes.

I remember 2010 being widely accepted as a bang average World Cup even as it was going on. Was there a single match of real quality in the entire tournament? It's poor quality was widely accepted at the time.

The group stages of 2014 were exciting and felt better than anything from the entire 2010 tournament, so people were semi-estatic at the time after the relative dross of 2010. But the knockouts were largely dull and progressively more attritional - the 7-1 being an exception - so maybe 2014 has a slightly inflated position in people's eyes: first part great, second part alright, but compared to 2010 it was all great.
(3) thanks from:
08-07-2018, 20:15   #15
Star Bingo

Brasil 2014 probably tops that list for reasons that aren’t even entirely football related but for a start it was in Brasil ~ spiritual home of football which also helped give it a holiday feel and you had broadcasters that were constantly on location in Rio particularly down on the cocacabana beach

they really did take you there and given they were a couple of hours behind us you had plenty of late night chat and the 1pm matches became 11pm or that so night owls were sorted. It just had a feel good factor surrounding it with which russia can’t compare, always something going on but this time out there hasn’t even been analysis post-highlights until the latter stages.
(2) thanks from:
Forum Closed