View Poll Results: Who will reach the final from the bottom half of the draw??
Russia 1 0.60%
Croatia 100 59.88%
Sweden 4 2.40%
England 62 37.13%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Closed  

11-07-2018, 02:29   #61
firstlight

Don't normally post on football matters
Would like to see Croatia win the world cup from what's left,can't see it though.

Personally think the standard of football has gone to the dogs
Overrated and overhyped
Hard to watch players falling around and cheating
Too much paly paly with opposition players
Tackling completely removed

Enough complaining now
Hopefully a good game to watch 2moro
Advertisement
11-07-2018, 02:39   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamariFritti View Post
England are not very good at all with one or two exceptions. They have no one who can direct or pace a midfield. They haven't got much of a passing game. Their defence is suspect. Their only real quality is up front with Kane and Sterling which is something but not enough.
They only got here because they have faced pretty poor opposition so far. They got a bit lucky with a few top seeds underperforming and bowing out early making it a lop sided draw. Which often happens in a World Cup, not saying they're here undeserved. What they had to do they did reasonably well. But now that they're in the deep end I reckon it's gonna be tough.
Anything can happen in a once off match, freaky red card, anything, you wouldn't know. But on paper and on form shown Croatia should be the end of the road never mind France. And thats not being mean, ye I admit I dont like them anyway, but just looking at it from an observer's view thats how I feel about them.
Not very good at all? Crikey. I’m not sure where you set the bar for being a good player, but it must be outrageously high.

Not as good as France, absolutely. Not as good as Croatia, most likely. Not very good at all? Absolutely daft. You only have to look at the clubs most of the England team play for. They might not be the big names of a decade ago, but they still belong to Spurs, Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Leicester City amongst others.

They’ve exceeded expectation to get this far, but they aren’t a ‘not very good at all’ group of players.

Your Germans, on the other hand...
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2018, 02:46   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasFlynn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstonian View Post
I really do believe that over the next 10 to 12 years, with all those things taken into account, this England team will come very close to winning tournaments, and may just bag one.

I’m looking forward to us making the whole of Scotland as uncomfortable as they have been this last week at the thought England actually having a serious chance returning with a pot a good few times more over the coming years!
Do you think this tournament will help England in the long run and wont be just a one off then? Most people wouldn't rate this England team as good as some previous teams so its difficult to know whether they can replicate it over and over again on a consistent basis, but who knows? It seems like they've benefited from such low expectations this time round. But that will be different in upcoming tournaments now they've set an entirely new benchmark and expectations will be much greater from now on.

Lets not forget Euro 2020 from the semi finals onwards effectively becomes a home tournament for England too, so there's still a lot of reasons for optimism with this England side.
Yep absolutely. The investment in coaching and physical infrastructure has been monumental but I’m quite confident it will pay off.

Currently England are Under 17s world champions, under 19s European champions and under 20s world champions. Also they are the Toulon tournament champions for the last 2 years. They’ve also reached finals and semi finals at under 18 and under 19 age groups but succumbed to penalty shootouts..

They are consistently finding and nurturing the talent of very good young players, playing with a consistent style, following a consistent set of preparations, and consistently it is yielding results.

The feel good factor that has been created by the seniors reaching the semi final may act to drive them on, I don’t know. But even without that the future of English football looks a bit more rosy than it did 10 years ago.

Like Germany and Spain, it seems like it took until we hit rock bottom before the powers that be fully got their act together, but the results look to be promising.
11-07-2018, 10:10   #64
Ferris_Bueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamariFritti View Post
England are not very good at all with one or two exceptions. They have no one who can direct or pace a midfield. They haven't got much of a passing game. Their defence is suspect. Their only real quality is up front with Kane and Sterling which is something but not enough.
They only got here because they have faced pretty poor opposition so far. They got a bit lucky with a few top seeds underperforming and bowing out early making it a lop sided draw. Which often happens in a World Cup, not saying they're here undeserved. What they had to do they did reasonably well. But now that they're in the deep end I reckon it's gonna be tough.
Anything can happen in a once off match, freaky red card, anything, you wouldn't know. But on paper and on form shown Croatia should be the end of the road never mind France. And thats not being mean, ye I admit I dont like them anyway, but just looking at it from an observer's view thats how I feel about them.
I think that is a bit unfair on England, they can only beat what is put on front of them and while they have had an easy run to the semis lots of other teams have in the past as well. They don't have many world class players (probably just Kane) but they have a squad full of good players playing for top teams in the best league in the world and it is still quite a young team too. There are very few bulletproof squads in the tournament and as we have seen with Germany & Spain having a squad that strong guarantees you nothing. I will be hoping Croatia or France beat them but I think they will progress tonight. Croatias squad is not as great as some people make it out although they have an exceptional midfield which could cause England problems.

Two good posts from Folkstonian, must be exciting times to be an English fan with this current run and also potentially over the next few years. A problem I think England will have in future is will all of these young players winning underage tournaments get first team football at the big clubs?
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2018, 12:03   #65
Anjobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris_Bueller View Post
I think that is a bit unfair on England, they can only beat what is put on front of them and while they have had an easy run to the semis lots of other teams have in the past as well. They don't have many world class players (probably just Kane) but they have a squad full of good players playing for top teams in the best league in the world and it is still quite a young team too. There are very few bulletproof squads in the tournament and as we have seen with Germany & Spain having a squad that strong guarantees you nothing. I will be hoping Croatia or France beat them but I think they will progress tonight. Croatias squad is not as great as some people make it out although they have an exceptional midfield which could cause England problems.

Two good posts from Folkstonian, must be exciting times to be an English fan with this current run and also potentially over the next few years. A problem I think England will have in future is will all of these young players winning underage tournaments get first team football at the big clubs?
Croatia tonight is pretty much a 50:50 game. There is a good tactical analysis by the excellent Jonathan Wilson in the Guardian today. I can't help feeling it could come down to either a set piece or penalties.

Allowing the Premier League to set up effectively outside its control was one of the worst errors the FA have ever made. It exists solely for the financial aggrandisement of its top 6 clubs, and this works in direct opposition to the interest of the national team. We can only hope that the best players from the underage teams get sufficient opportunities in the coming years.
Advertisement
11-07-2018, 23:26   #66
CalamariFritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstonian View Post
Not very good at all? Crikey. I’m not sure where you set the bar for being a good player, but it must be outrageously high.

Not as good as France, absolutely. Not as good as Croatia, most likely. Not very good at all? Absolutely daft. You only have to look at the clubs most of the England team play for. They might not be the big names of a decade ago, but they still belong to Spurs, Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Leicester City amongst others.

They’ve exceeded expectation to get this far, but they aren’t a ‘not very good at all’ group of players.

Your Germans, on the other hand...
Hard luck tonight. Looked good for a while but a couple of key players caught an off day. Otherwise it would have been enough I think.

When I say not very good at all I mean they are not very good. Literally. Which is not saying they're bad. They're good even. Just not very good.
Jeez I sound like Eamon Dunphy now. Sorry the way I phrased that might have been a bit arseways. But I think I was pretty spot on all the same looking at today's game.

They have a solid professional squad with a few very nice players thrown into the mix. But when Henderson is your cover and distributor that is not very good at all. Or when Lingaard is supposed to be the man who carries or passes it into the top thats not very good at all. Delle Alli could be a great player. He looked to be carrying something, never got into gear all through the tournament.

As for my Germans. Well, they are by and large still pretty good. They just weren't arsed. Which is worse tbh. England would have beaten them handy. Thank fk it didn't come to that. Going out in the groups saved us from further embarrassment*.
And we're not even done with the embarrassment yet. People making fools of themselves trying to find reasons and cures and scapegoats. Getting ugly and stupid. It'll be a while before we contend for another one.

Edit: *not that being beaten by England would be an embarrassment itself. Just a rivalry thing. Germany doesnt want to be beaten by Holland, Austria, England.

Last edited by CalamariFritti; 11-07-2018 at 23:37.
Thanks from:
Forum Closed