Forum Closed  

17-06-2018, 18:25   #31
Vincent Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by briany View Post
That black curly hair makes him look like he's been drawn by children.

If the ears were a bit bigger.

He's been a decent addition to the panel so far imo.
Advertisement
17-06-2018, 18:26   #32
Say Your Number
Let the witches in!

I remember they had Peter Collins in Brazil 4 years ago.

Also when Apres Match did the third place play off, before the match they hinted that Alkin and Kerr were in Dublin, and at the end there was this fight sequence and they showed the two lads sitting in a corner of RTE with microphones.
17-06-2018, 18:38   #33
murpho999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Your Number View Post
I remember they had Peter Collins in Brazil 4 years ago.

Also when Apres Match did the third place play off, before the match they hinted that Alkin and Kerr were in Dublin, and at the end there was this fight sequence and they showed the two lads sitting in a corner of RTE with microphones.
Remember that.

I actually don't see why commentators have to be in the stadium to be honest.

Also don't get why on BBC Lineker & Co seem to be in a fancy studio in Moscow but never leave it. What's the point?

Last edited by murpho999; 17-06-2018 at 18:55.
18-06-2018, 12:01   #34
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
Remember that.

I actually don't see why commentators have to be in the stadium to be honest.
Two reasons I can think of. Being at the game allows you to see, and talk about, things that the TV camera might not pick up. In this way, the viewer at home can get a little more insight into what's going on.

Also, you can't get caught up in the atmosphere the same way if you're just watching a video feed. You can comment on it, but the excitement is not the same. Being able to talk about what it's like actually being there in those moments of magic makes them even better for the viewers at home, imo.
18-06-2018, 12:27   #35
fiveleavesleft

Quote:
Two reasons I can think of. Being at the game allows you to see, and talk about, things that the TV camera might not pick up. In this way, the viewer at home can get a little more insight into what's going on.

Also, you can't get caught up in the atmosphere the same way if you're just watching a video feed. You can comment on it, but the excitement is not the same. Being able to talk about what it's like actually being there in those moments of magic makes them even better for the viewers at home, imo.
Yep, like Brian Kerr's classic at the Euros:

"Is that thunder?, hope we don't get lightning, I left me jacket in the taxi!"

Last edited by fiveleavesleft; 18-06-2018 at 12:31. Reason: spelling
Advertisement
18-06-2018, 13:46   #36
TomSweeney

Brian Kerr is great !
18-06-2018, 14:51   #37
GavRedKing

Brian Kerr is the best thing about the RTE coverage, he comes out with some classic lines but failing that, hes pretty clued in about nearly every aspect of the game.

He approaches commentating with a laid back attitude, like a guy you could be discussing the match with but he makes some great points, even if he forgets the players name.

Think it was a game at the Euros when he forgot a players name and just called him "yere man with the orangey boots".

18-06-2018, 15:11   #38
TomSweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavRedKing View Post
Brian Kerr is the best thing about the RTE coverage, he comes out with some classic lines but failing that, hes pretty clued in about nearly every aspect of the game.

He approaches commentating with a laid back attitude, like a guy you could be discussing the match with but he makes some great points, even if he forgets the players name.

Think it was a game at the Euros when he forgot a players name and just called him "yere man with the orangey boots".

Classic Kerr!!

Love his pronunciations allright !! - remember Juan JAYSUS!!
18-06-2018, 15:16   #39
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavRedKing View Post

Brian Kerr is the modern day equivalent of vintage John Giles. In the box or on the panel, I'd just like to see him in the mix whenever RTE are covering big football matches. Would like him for the final alongside Hamilton instead of Beglin.
Advertisement
18-06-2018, 15:23   #40
GavRedKing

Quote:
Brian Kerr is the modern day equivalent of vintage John Giles. In the box or on the panel, I'd just like to see him in the mix whenever RTE are covering big football matches. Would like him for the final alongside Hamilton instead of Beglin.
Beglin, Whelan, Houghton, I'd take Kerr over every single one of them for commentary duties.

He brings a bit of colour and life to the scene, as well as superior knowledge of the game than the other 3.

Houghton and his classic "what he should have done is this" really grates on me.
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2018, 16:02   #41

I think Brian Kerr is dreadful. He just talks far too much for a co-commentator on television.

It would be great if RTE and others introduced a red button option for tuning off the commentary altogether.
18-06-2018, 17:08   #42
Iang87

Nah I love Kerr myself. He brings a lot of humour and its like listening to your uncle at a wedding who is always on the verge of saying something not so politically correct.

As for most of the rest. Whelan should be put down, not a lover of houghton either. Hamilton does my head in, been watching football his whole life and wouldn't know a ball if it hit him in the nose. Duff has instantly nailed the role of the bitter ex footballer who thinks everything was better in his day, don't like him at all.

Give me Sadlier in the studio and Kerr on commentary and i'll contemplate paying my TV license.
Thanks from:
18-06-2018, 17:11   #43
BigDaveTheRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dog View Post
I think Brian Kerr is dreadful. He just talks far too much for a co-commentator on television.

It would be great if RTE and others introduced a red button option for tuning off the commentary altogether.
id rather just have him commintatin on his own, do a better job than half the saps in rte

at least he knows what he is talking about about
18-06-2018, 22:58   #44
fiveleavesleft

Hope Kerr has the Japan game tomorrow. He did some chewing on their names 4 years ago
19-06-2018, 11:21   #45
Mocha Joe

Kerr is the only one who out of any RTE commentators or pundits who has done any research at all.
(2) thanks from:
Forum Closed