Forum Closed  

04-03-2016, 15:53   #121
PaulieC

Send a message via MSN to PaulieC
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshb View Post
Whatever about the validity of the awareness, the charity was getting awareness. That's the bigger picture. If Virgin Media have committed some 'crime' then they deserve derision. From my understanding of this I think they deserve kudos. That's me. In general I would be quite skeptical of the whole charity crusade, but in this instance I think the event deserves credit and encouragement and patience. Who knows what that goodie bag holds?
The charity getting awareness is the same as a photographer being asked to do a job for free as they will get credit. Or a musician doing a gig for free just for the exposure. Most people in that situation will tell you that kudos, credit and awareness do not pay the bills. Money does.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2016, 16:06   #122
dublin runner

Going against the grain as per usual. Tiresome and predictable.

Events like this (and many more) masquerading as charity runs is downright wrong. At best it's unethical and at worst, immoral. Companies use the 'charity card' for one reason and one reason only. Increased numbers means increased revenue. Increased revenue means increased profits (if their business model is in any way sound). It's all about profit and yes it's exploitation. Unfortunately this type of thing is growing year on year.

I have no issue with making money from races. None whatsoever. Misleading the public to line your own pockets is quite a different matter .

I am delighted that finally this has been called out for what it is. I have asked the questions before and have never received a satisfactory reply. At least Virgin came out eventually and clarified some of the questions posed.
04-03-2016, 16:09   #123
kit3

Virgin are a big international organisation. If they are genuine in wanting to help the Simon Community they could easily absorb the costs of the race. I'm sure there is probably a way the costs could even be written off against tax. The €5 per month increase they dished out recently would cover the costs fairly quickly.

If that was their approach then kudos would be warranted otherwise it's just another case of misleading advertising
04-03-2016, 16:10   #124
adrian522

Thread of the year.
04-03-2016, 16:28   #125
demfad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin runner View Post
Going against the grain as per usual. Tiresome and predictable.

Events like this (and many more) masquerading as charity runs is downright wrong. At best it's unethical and at worst, immoral. Companies use the 'charity card' for one reason and one reason only. Increased numbers means increased revenue. Increased revenue means increased profits (if their business model is in any way sound). It's all about profit and yes it's exploitation. Unfortunately this type of thing is growing year on year.

I have no issue with making money from races. None whatsoever. Misleading the public to line your own pockets is quite a different matter .

I am delighted that finally this has been called out for what it is. I have asked the questions before and have never received a satisfactory reply. At least Virgin came out eventually and clarified some of the questions posed.
As already pointed out: they have been forced to 'come out' here. They wont remove the deception elsewhere because that will mean they will lose revenue and publicity. No credit is due.

Last edited by demfad; 04-03-2016 at 16:35.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2016, 17:00   #126
Chivito550

Quote:
Originally Posted by demfad View Post
As already pointed out: they have been forced to 'come out' here. They wont remove the deception elsewhere because that will mean they will lose revenue and publicity. No credit is due.
This.

It's akin to a drug cheat getting caught and then admitting guilt. That same person would not be admitting guilt if not caught in the first place.

They deserve no credit at all, and it took 3 attempts before they answered my question, and even then it was accompanied with press release type nonsense.
(2) thanks from:
04-03-2016, 17:52   #127
dublin runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by demfad

As I have said, it is a lot info than I have ever gotten off other race orgainsers. In other words, a concrete answer. I give them absolutely no credit for what is bad practice.

I won't go into the excuses and laughable responses I have received. Blood from a stone.
04-03-2016, 20:16   #128
yaboya1

I see this thread is back at the top of all A/R sub forums. What happened there?
04-03-2016, 20:30   #129
Virgin Media Night Run: Anna
Verified representative

Thanks again for all comments, your feedback is all greatly received.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend of training, running and racing what ever you may take part in.

A little preview of whats to come in our Night Run journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnLDNcy6w7w
Advertisement
04-03-2016, 20:43   #130
dub45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgin Media Night Run: Anna View Post

Hoping everyone has a great weekend of training, running and racing what ever you may take part in.

Could you please clarify the statement about VM "raising" €10,000?

"Virgin Media are raising €10,000 for Dublin Simon Community"

Will VM actually donate anything to Simon as a result of this "partnership"?

And once again what happens to any surplus money?
04-03-2016, 21:58   #131
kit3

Quote:

From my reading of the thread the 'feedback' was in the form of questions asked and suggestions made. Do you intend to address any of the specific points made or is your role only to give the official spin ?
04-03-2016, 21:58   #132

Just registered, can't wait.
Thanks from:
04-03-2016, 22:36   #133
Timmaay

Send a message via MSN to Timmaay
Wow. Where do I start? I've helped out with countless genuine charity and club races, alongside doing more than my fair share on local club and county board committees, and to be honest all I can do is roll my eye at the utter disservice Athletics Ireland are doing to us clubs, by allowing corporate rubbish races as such, that are clearly masquerading as charity races. From both a volunteer numbers and financial point of view, there is no doubt about it, very very very few clubs around the country are anyway well off with either, and here we are, in the middle of a "running boom", and the best the AAI can do is try to directly cash in on it at the total expense of countless other genuine club/charity races.

And as for Boards allowing this to be a sticky at the top of the forum, the posters on boards are who made it a success in the 1st place, and allowing our forum be taken over with low grade, charity masquerading advertising as such does nothing to help people like me to bother posting here much anymore.
04-03-2016, 23:35   #134
Murph_D

Quote:
Hi all,

Great to receive all the feedback and see such awareness growing around the event.

Virgin Media staff will be running to raise €10,000 which will go directly to the Dublin Simon Community and any shortfall will be covered by Virgin Media.

All Virgin Media Night Run participants are encouraged to raise additional funds for Dublin Simon Community. The event provides a unique platform to create much needed awareness and funds for Dublin Simon Community and Dublin Simon Community are fully behind the event.

The transaction charge is standard to cover registration, banking and card costs. In relation to the set entry fee this highlights that there is no tiered pricing structure for this event and entry fees will not increase in advance of the event.

The Virgin Media Night Run event is stand alone in combining its city based race footprint, night run environment setting, race production and entertainment value to provide a premium running and race experience which is organised and sanctioned by the national governing body. Our unique quality long sleeve reflective running top for all runners can be seen for the first time below – let us know what you think!!
This suggests that Virgin are not the organisers of the event. Is it the case that Virgin is just a sponsor?

Last edited by Murph_D; 04-03-2016 at 23:54.
Thanks from:
05-03-2016, 02:10   #135
Niemoj
Banned

Jaysus, talk about a media backfire on this one!

Made for some funny reading though!
Forum Closed