Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I'm looking forward to reading some reviews this week hopefully :) and I would nothing more than them to be positive :).

2367aa1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Theres always a chance :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

They seem to be making an effort this time not to repeat past mistakes. They've released copies for early reviews, delayed the game for a month for polishing and just seem to be a lot more open with the development this time around.

Of course I could just be kidding myself here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Review embargo appears to have ended at 2pm.

GameSpot: 9/10 - 'It's a triumph of real-time strategy design, and the best the Total War series has ever been.'
    IGN: 86/100
    PCGamer: 86/100
    Destructoid: 80/100

According to GameSpot: 'Massive AI improvements'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Yeah, some of the TW YouTube community are giving their opinions now. Positive for the most part it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

hmm, IGN scored it lower than they initially scored Rome II

the eurogamer review is pretty good

Oh, and it's unlocking on steam at 8am on tuesday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Think I'll get this now :) Any idea where the cheapest place would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Must
    Resist
    Pre-Order.

seen it on G2play earlier for 40quid, but ye dont get the key til it's released, so.. let the buyer beware. But their generally good with stuff like that

• Advertisement

The RPS review is interesting. They reckon that the campaign side is shallower, more limited, and that the battles are much better. That's maybe to fit in with the Warhammer lore, but not sure I like the sound of it personally. I'll wait for you guys to give feedback. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Steam preload is up. 20 gigs, seems a bit small.

That's before DLC. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

€36.59 on cdkeys (plus a possible 5% more off for first time buyers with a facebook like)

Facebook thing here, enter any email address apparently

Comes with Chaos warriors DLC

Disclaimer: this is a key reseller, "grey market" and all that jazz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

hmm, IGN scored it lower than they initially scored Rome II

the eurogamer review is pretty good

Oh, and it's unlocking on steam at 8am on tuesday

Does anyone trust IGN or any of their reviews ? Completely hate and distrust that lot.
    I don't trust review scores, from anywhere anymore.

I'm interested in the game, so I'll probably end up watching a Totalbiscuit WTF is, or watching an hour or two of some people playing on Twitch, then deciding if it's something I'd be interested in buying at full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    €36.59 on cdkeys (plus a possible 5% more off for first time buyers with a facebook like)

Facebook thing here, enter any email address apparently

Comes with Chaos warriors DLC

Disclaimer: this is a key reseller, "grey market" and all that jazz

Its still €47 on greenmangaming as well, obviously dearer but thats probably the cheapest 'legit' reseller :)

Ive admitted defeat and gone for it anyway, yeah I know, I'm weak.
    Swore I'd never preorder again after Rome II yet here we are :o

• Advertisement

1367381826397-welcome_to_the_dark_side_answer_1_xlarge.jpg

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Does anyone trust IGN or any of their reviews ? Completely hate and distrust that lot.
    I don't trust review scores, from anywhere anymore.

I'm interested in the game, so I'll probably end up watching a Totalbiscuit WTF is, or watching an hour or two of some people playing on Twitch, then deciding if it's something I'd be interested in buying at full price.

TB wont be covering it I'd say, he has some boycott against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

TB wont be covering it I'd say, he has some boycott against them.

TB loves his Games Workshop though so I reckon he will be tempted to do it.

Maguined wrote: »
    TB loves his Games Workshop though so I reckon he will be tempted to do it.

I 'd say he could alright :D, its actually sega he has the problem i think not the devs.

seems like he's shooting himself in the foot with that, sega have some of the greatest strategy games under their belt in the last few years

• Advertisement

seems like he's shooting himself in the foot with that, sega have some of the greatest strategy games under their belt in the last few years

Its because they gave him a copyright strike on shining force video and they wont apologise for it or something to that effect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's Sega - they contentID'd and all sorts of stuff against his channel for stuff that was taken from publicly accessible and/or press specific promotional fluff and they refused to help or apologise like common sense would dictate.

all that over a megadrive title.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Its because they gave him a copyright strike on shining force video and they wont apologise for it or something to that effect.

Doubt it's much of a concern anymore for him, say he'll do a video on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

1st Total War game in yonks I've resisted getting on day 1.

I've broken their spell!!!!! I'm free!! Free of looking for potential, free of saying 'when that's patched it'll be cool', free I tells you....

When's GOTY edition out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

More importantly, when's the GOTY out half price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One thing I really want to see is more battles in the field and a lot less city combat. All told, that was my biggest problem - amongst many - with Rome 2. It just seemed that I could play all night and not get a single field battle. AI refused to engage unless they were pinned down completely.

from what i've seen them streaming over the last few weeks, there are loads more field encounters than sieges. The sieges are odd compared to all other TW games too, the towers shoot immediately at your army, their range is so vast that you are instantly being bombarded with whatever they're firing. They also do a tremendous amount of damage to siege equipment and close formations. Somewhat accurate as opposed to the prior games.

The non-siege maps seem to be quite small, which is imo a dumbing down but it also seems to be better in that you dont have to march around or send out scouts for 10 minutes to find a hidden army. High ground is more lethal than ever.

Black Orcs are almost unstoppable!
    Grimgore Ironhide IS unstoppable!
    There's a video on the twitch link above from the dwarven campaign where the guy playing the dwarves literally had to send his entire army to try take down Grimgore, they managed to make him retreat back, but... it took and entire army! :D

Plus the soundtrack is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

I had promised myself, that I wasn't going to buy this but after reading a few reviews and watching the let's plays I crumbled and I am currently preloading the game.

• Advertisement

blackwave wrote: »
    I had promised myself, that I wasn't going to buy this but after reading a few reviews and watching the let's plays I crumbled and I am currently preloading the game.

Where did you buy it from ?

Off Cd Keys, entered the key in and then went to the game page and had the option to preload. This is meant to include the chaos dlc as well and €38 or so.

chaos is a preorder bonus which has been extended to all purchases within one week of launch, so it wont actually matter if ye get it after the launch so long as it's within the first week ye get that content anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ugh getting temptation for this.

Think ill hold of for a week or two see what the general feedback is, but always love a good Total War game coming into summer :)

chaos is a preorder bonus which has been extended to all purchases within one week of launch, so it wont actually matter if ye get it after the launch so long as it's within the first week ye get that content anyway

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. But when I was looking at a few other key resellers I say a few make no mention of the Chaos DLC so I didnt want to chance it.

should be all the same thing, and shouldn't cost more less with or without it as it's free for all for the first week

I caved
    I bought
    I will be on the shower
    UNCLEAN UNCLEAN UNCLEAN

SHHHAAAMMMEE

So, totalwar are doing a massive stream tonight with a bunch of giveaways from 6pm til midnight - "t-shirts, books, codes and maybe even a High King Edition", might be worth it if you're on the fence

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

This is a decent move. I did not want to preorder out of principle and was then put off by the idea of not getting the Chaos Faction as punishment so I was not going to get it at all but this might swing me back depending upon what early reviews from people I trust are like.

Saw some streams of it in action over the weekend. It looked like a Total War game I guess, I don't really know an awful lot about them. Still not sure if these games are my kinda thing, but I do enjoy a bitta GW IP if it's delivered well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Shiminay wrote: »
    Saw some streams of it in action over the weekend. It looked like a Total War game I guess, I don't really know an awful lot about them. Still not sure if these games are my kinda thing, but I do enjoy a bitta GW IP if it's delivered well.

Wait, you've never played a Total War game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've never played a Total War game either. Used to love Warhammer back in the day though so I'm following this with interest.

Nope, never did, all I ever hear about them is that they're always broken and it takes a year for both community mods and official patches to make them playable and tbh, I'm not even slightly arsed indulging in that sort of nonsense.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've never played a Total War game either. Used to love Warhammer back in the day though so I'm following this with interest.

If anyone has even a passing knowledge or interest in Warhammer, then it'll be a small delight to see it all run in real time then. And if nothing else, controllable goblin doom divers are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Beefy78 wrote: »

You're in for a treat so

Who are you going to play as first?

Going for Orks

"Dem Inquisishun humies can't be trusted any further dan day can be thrown, which in dat one's case might be a bad example."

Shiminay wrote: »

Grand strategy will not suit everyone, think of it as Civ but much deeper and with enormous realtime battles.
    The focus being more on building armies, and cities to fund them while you try to trample the world with jackboots, that's generally how i play, but there are many other facets in TW, diplomacy, bribery, assassination, betrayal, religion and downright murder as well as the epic battles

Who are you going to play as first?

Going for Orks

"Dem Inquisishun humies can't be trusted any further dan day can be thrown, which in dat one's case might be a bad example."

same here, cant wait to have grimgore smash the crap out of everything

same here, cant wait to have grimgore smash the crap out of everything

"Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement