Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUS Programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Hi all, i received a letter today asking me would i be interested and to be honest id jump at the chance to do something after relentlessly trying to find employment for so long. For my own mental health id love to do it.

I just have a query regarding payment. Im currently receiving means tested jobseekers of €60 per week. If i am given a place would i only get a top up of €20 on that or do i get the full amount? also i dont drive, would this be an issue for them?

As i said i really would love to do one, surely the experience would be an asset to a CV!

As I understand it you get €20 on top of your current welfare payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi fiestywonder

Being honest I don't know. It is the basic €188+€20 extra and you are taken off the live register. I am eight weeks into my TUS Programme now. I'm really enjoying it. You will have to ask them during your interview. Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Hi all, i received a letter today asking me would i be interested and to be honest id jump at the chance to do something after relentlessly trying to find employment for so long. For my own mental health id love to do it.

I just have a query regarding payment. Im currently receiving means tested jobseekers of €60 per week. If i am given a place would i only get a top up of €20 on that or do i get the full amount? also i dont drive, would this be an issue for them?

As i said i really would love to do one, surely the experience would be an asset to a CV!
    My understanding is you will get the €208. Tell them you don't drive, it shouldn't be an issue for some of the jobs on offer.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi fiestywonder

Being honest I don't know. It is the basic €188+€20 extra and you are taken off the live register. I am eight weeks into my TUS Programme now. I'm really enjoying it. You will have to ask them during your interview. Best of luck! :)

DenMan quick question were you getting €208. I was getting €198.40. Im not sure if it was emergency tax or what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Nuts102 wrote: »
    DenMan quick question were you getting €208. I was getting €198.40. Im not sure if it was emergency tax or what it was.

That could be the USC charge that was deducted, but in my case it amounted to €8.91 (I'm on a CE Scheme)

Anyway C.E. Schemes (and I would guess TUS scheme) as its identical to C.E. is exempt from this charge. We got refunded since.

Check your payslip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

I didn't get the €208 until a couple of weeks into the new year. I was put on emergency tax for two weeks and got it back after. I got my P60 last week. You'll get it back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

danjo-xx wrote: »
    That could be the USC charge that was deducted, but in my case it amounted to €8.91 (I'm on a CE Scheme)

Anyway C.E. Schemes (and I would guess TUS scheme) as its identical to C.E. is exempt from this charge. We got refunded since.

Check your payslip.

I can confirm, you are exempt from the USC charge when on the TUS scheme, I've done the research online - HOWEVER, you will be charged 4% PRSI, so of the initial 20 euro extra you get, nearly 9 euro of it goes on PRSI, hence you really get about 11.50 euro extra a week on top of your dole money, for working 19.5 hours a week.

YES, without a doubt, the organisations the jobs are with seem MUCH MORE worthwhile than some of the companies who have exploited the JobBridge Scheme.

dubscribe wrote: »
    I can confirm, you are exempt from the USC charge when on the TUS scheme, I've done the research online - HOWEVER, you will be charged 4% PRSI, so of the initial 20 euro extra you get, nearly 9 euro of it goes on PRSI, hence you really get about 11.50 euro extra a week on top of your dole money, for working 19.5 hours a week.

YES, without a doubt, the organisations the jobs are with seem MUCH MORE worthwhile than some of the companies who have exploited the JobBridge Scheme.

not on our scheme, can't remember the details, I'll dig it up tomorrow, all of us here on our scheme get the €208 p.w.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    not on our scheme, can't remember the details, I'll dig it up tomorrow, all of us here on our scheme get the €208 p.w.

Perhaps you misunderstood. On the Tus Scheme ALL of your income ie your dole money plus the 20 euro top up is liable for tax and PRSI. You don't earn enough to pay tax but you do earn enough to be liable to the 4% PRSI contribution, you are excluded from the USC tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

My cousin went for an interview 2 weeks ago. He was asked the usual questions but he was also asked "what do you do all day". He thought it wasn't right to be asked this and wondered if anyone else was asked this question.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you misunderstood. On the Tus Scheme ALL of your income ie your dole money plus the 20 euro top up is liable for tax and PRSI. You don't earn enough to pay tax but you do earn enough to be liable to the 4% PRSI contribution, you are excluded from the USC tax.

I can't find the legal response but this is the gist of it.
    Our expert, John Kelly says:

Hi Gerard

Employees with reckonable weekly pay of €352 or less are exempt from paying PRSI for that week and that will remain the case. The weekly PRSI exemption will cease for employees with weekly earnings in excess of €352.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/asktheexperts/2012/12/05/does-the-removal-of-prsi-exemption-only-hit-people-already-paying-prsi-or-does-it-bring-in-those-people-who-earn-between-38-352e-per-week-and-currently-pay-nothing/

So an update all i can say is the scheme is misleading imo and unfair on people who are actually trying to work.

As if people read my last few posts would have seen i pulled out of a TUS job because i didn't feel it was benefitting me and answering phones didn't suit me and my nerves were not the best.

So i was called in for a meeting. The boss at the place i left admitted that their wasn't enough work their and i was doing very little except answering phones. She agreed i wasn't benefitting as much as i should be and understanded why i left. You are told when you go down to them that you do not have to take a job once it doesn't feel it will help improve your skills. Also you can pull out of a job if you are not getting any experience that is helpful to you and they will find another job for you.

So i was told yesterday that they will keep up my payments for two or three more weeks. They are using all their contacts to get me another placement. If i can't find a job within that time i will have to go back on the dole. I was told basically i am going to be cut off from my payments or get a cut in the dole.

So basically this means even if i get offered a job on the scheme even if it doesn't suit me i have to take it. It also means that even though your told you can pull out of a job if you are not getting the experience you are meant to it is a lie. Even though since i quit last week i have had a job interview that i applied for myself it doesn't make much difference. I have countless job applications i could show to the dole office. I have also been looking at going back to college to do a masters degree. But i was told this doesn't really matter i will basically get cut if im not working in the next two or three weeks. My heads all over the place with worry. I don't know what to do this really is a bad way to treat people who want to work.

So an update all i can say is the scheme is misleading imo and unfair on people who are actually trying to work.....

So i was told yesterday that they will keep up my payments for two or three more weeks. They are using all their contacts to get me another placement. If i can't find a job within that time i will have to go back on the dole. I was told basically i am going to be cut off from my payments or get a cut in the dole....

Nuts102, this is dreadful news to read, poor you. What an appalling way you have been treated. I know, essentially you sound like a timid and shy person but I'm sorry to say that this is one occasion where you will have to stand up for yourself and your rights.

Certainly the one thing I have learned from your experience is that if they say I don't have to accept an unsuitable job, I want it in writing. It would appear their word is unreliable. They tell you one thing and then do something else.

At this stage I would suggest you ask to meet with the overall supervisor of the Tus scheme in your area and ask him/her for an explanation as to why they want to reduce your dole money because they did not deliver on their word, ie a suitable placement. This is not your fault and you should not be penalised for it. These schemes always have a "right of appeal" policy/system, I suggest you engage with it now rather than wait until your dole is cut and then have to fight for it to be reinstated.

I also suggest you contact www.inou.ie - the National Organisation of the Unemployed. Tell them what's happening with you. They will definitely have good suggestions to offer you.

Hang in there. You have support with us.

TAKEN from INOU website:
    Refusing an offer of Training
    If you refuse an offer of training without just cause or good reason the Department of Social Protection may apply a penalty rate to your Jobseeker's Benefit/Jobseeker's Allowance payment. If this happens you may ask for a review of this decision. Please contact the INOU on (01) 856 0088 for information.

Nuts102, this is dreadful news to read, poor you. What an appalling way you have been treated. I know, essentially you sound like a timid and shy person but I'm sorry to say that this is one occasion where you will have to stand up for yourself and your rights.

Certainly the one thing I have learned from your experience is that if they say I don't have to accept an unsuitable job, I want it in writing. It would appear their word is unreliable. They tell you one thing and then do something else.

At this stage I would suggest you ask to meet with the overall supervisor of the Tus scheme in your area and ask him/her for an explanation as to why they want to reduce your dole money because they did not deliver on their word, ie a suitable placement. This is not your fault and you should not be penalised for it. These schemes always have a "right of appeal" policy/system, I suggest you engage with it now rather than wait until your dole is cut and then have to fight for it to be reinstated.

I also suggest you contact www.inou.ie - the National Organisation of the Unemployed. Tell them what's happening with you. They will definitely have good suggestions to offer you.

Hang in there. You have support with us.

TAKEN from INOU website:
    Refusing an offer of Training
    If you refuse an offer of training without just cause or good reason the Department of Social Protection may apply a penalty rate to your Jobseeker's Benefit/Jobseeker's Allowance payment. If this happens you may ask for a review of this decision. Please contact the INOU on (01) 856 0088 for information.

Thanks for that. I am just not sure what way to approach it. The person who is dealing with me from TUS seems genuine. TUS are going to continue paying me for the next few weeks. If they can't get me a placement then i will have to go back on the dole. He said he should be able to get me an interview or two and he is using all his contacts.

He said the dole would then call me in for a meeting if i didn't get a job. He didn't say i would be cut but basically said it would be bad for me if i had to go back onto the dole. He said he would fight my case for me but their was not much he could do. He didn't say i would be cut off directly but gave a big hint that i would be getting cut money.

Their is a place that advises citizens on their rights and about money etc i think i will call into them and get their advice. My friend told me that it was dodgy when they told me you only have to take the job if it will benefit you and you don't have to take the job. He also said to be wary of them saying you can leave the job if it's unsuitable. Just don't know what way to approach it really as i don't know anybody else who was in the same situation.

What i found odd was it didn't seem that they thought it mattered that i have proof of looking for jobs. Surely if i get called in by the dole i can prove i had an interview. Also provide them with rejection emails for jobs. I presumed proving your looking for work was the main requirement for recieving your dole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Thanks for that. I am just not sure what way to approach it. The person who is dealing with me from TUS seems genuine. TUS are going to continue paying me for the next few weeks. If they can't get me a placement then i will have to go back on the dole. He said he should be able to get me an interview or two and he is using all his contacts.

He said the dole would then call me in for a meeting if i didn't get a job. He didn't say i would be cut but basically said it would be bad for me if i had to go back onto the dole. He said he would fight my case for me but their was not much he could do. He didn't say i would be cut off directly but gave a big hint that i would be getting cut money.

Their is a place that advises citizens on their rights and about money etc i think i will call into them and get their advice. My friend told me that it was dodgy when they told me you only have to take the job if it will benefit you and you don't have to take the job. He also said to be wary of them saying you can leave the job if it's unsuitable. Just don't know what way to approach it really as i don't know anybody else who was in the same situation.

What i found odd was it didn't seem that they thought it mattered that i have proof of looking for jobs. Surely if i get called in by the dole i can prove i had an interview. Also provide them with rejection emails for jobs. I presumed proving your looking for work was the main requirement for recieving your dole.

By right they have no rights in that case to cut you off or cut your payment...but you've been sucked into this scheme and they can use it an excuse....ideally anyone not interested in getting involved in this because they feel it's of no benefit should not appear so keen in the interview.....I'm not saying act a total arse, little things like turning up late and not being as responsive in your answers as you would be for a "real" interview...they have a list, you might get passed over but hay at least you turned up

Can you not go back to your original job and just "play the game" ? Just sit there and play them at their own game. I'd have a bit of fun at their expense, they'd be glad to get rid of me.

I went on a TUS interview last September and didn't hear another word. How long between interview and them finding you a place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Alex Salmon

I am surprised that no one has taken this to the social welfare appeals office or the courts yet. Have they actually stopped anyones money yet for not obeying TUS?

I am sure that any decision to stop dole could be judicially reviewed and it could bring the whole TUS regime into doubt.

rsole1 wrote: »
    Can you not go back to your original job and just "play the game" ? Just sit there and play them at their own game. I'd have a bit of fun at their expense, they'd be glad to get rid of me.

I went on a TUS interview last September and didn't hear another word. How long between interview and them finding you a place?

It was a few weeks before they got me a job. Being honest i would rather not go back their and i told them that.

Contact the INOU, they will definitely be able to advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I am surprised that no one has taken this to the social welfare appeals office or the courts yet. Have they actually stopped anyones money yet for not obeying TUS?

I am sure that any decision to stop dole could be judicially reviewed and it could bring the whole TUS regime into doubt.
    It is before the Courts at the moment, not tus in particular, but penalisation for non activation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Joan Burton...spokeswoman for the people

gets in position then penalizes the people... unemployed treated like criminals under her watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I finished Tus in January and I was offered part time work from the placement. I was delighted but before I started the position I had been called to the local Social Welfare Office to discuss what happens after Tus. I told them I had been offered part time work which I had yet to begin but had a letter from my employer confirming this and I would be claiming for the days I wouldn't be working. My case officer told me this was not good enough and gave me a number of positions to apply for , none of which I was qualified for and all were part time. What the hell do I have to do ?? I've never missed an appointment or interview , never refused to take part in any scheme or training , managed to secure part time work but its still not good enough. I have to apply for the jobs she gave me or she said they're would be penaltys to my payment.

Karen23 wrote: »
    I finished Tus in January and I was offered part time work from the placement. I was delighted but before I started the position I had been called to the local Social Welfare Office to discuss what happens after Tus. I told them I had been offered part time work which I had yet to begin but had a letter from my employer confirming this and I would be claiming for the days I wouldn't be working. My case officer told me this was not good enough and gave me a number of positions to apply for , none of which I was qualified for and all were part time. What the hell do I have to do ?? I've never missed an appointment or interview , never refused to take part in any scheme or training , managed to secure part time work but its still not good enough. I have to apply for the jobs she gave me or she said they're would be penaltys to my payment.

How horrible for you. It seems the more you co-operate the more they want to screw you over. Have yet to hear a person with anything good to say about the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I finished Tus in January and I was offered part time work from the placement. I was delighted but before I started the position I had been called to the local Social Welfare Office to discuss what happens after Tus. I told them I had been offered part time work which I had yet to begin but had a letter from my employer confirming this and I would be claiming for the days I wouldn't be working. My case officer told me this was not good enough and gave me a number of positions to apply for , none of which I was qualified for were and all part time. What the hell do I have to do ?? I've never missed an appointment or interview , never refused to take part in any scheme or training , managed to secure part time work but its still not good enough. I have to apply for the jobs she gave me or she said they're would be penaltys to my payment.

So you have been offered a PT position with the company you have trained with and she wants you to apply for other PT positions with companies you haven't trained with :confused::confused: that's a bloody joke Karen. If you were told to apply for FT positions then fair enough but what exactly is the difference between one PT job and another in you case officer's mind? She sounds like a right dosy cow, or maybe just an arch-bitch. Go back and ask her these questions and if you don't get any satisfaction go over her head.

How horrible for you. It seems the more you co-operate the more they want to screw you over. Have yet to hear a person with anything good to say about the scheme.

I think a lot of people (including Karen) have enjoyed their time on the programme but what is wrong is not so much the scheme itself but rather the whole merry go round of meetings and pressures from people who seem to be under orders to make it as awkward as possible to let you find your way in the world of employment or otherwise. My opinion is once you ride this merry go round they really don't want to let you off it,in other words once they have you removed from the live register they don't want you back on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭JackieBurke

Once you are removed from the live register there is no way they will allow you back on it.

I had a similar problem with a deciding officer a few years ago. I had applied for BTEA and was approved for it on a 2 year third level course. All great. A week before registration at college I am called in for an interview. The person was told that I was going on BTEA and that the course was starting in a week. That was not good enough and I was threatened with having my whole course cancelled if I did not apply for silly jobs.

I had to instruct a solicitor to deal with the department. I got to do my course and enjoyed it and got a good job in the end.

Keep the faith Karen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

youtube! wrote: »

So you have been offered a PT position with the company you have trained with and she wants you to apply for other PT positions with companies you haven't trained with :confused::confused: that's a bloody joke Karen. If you were told to apply for FT positions then fair enough but what exactly is the difference between one PT job and another in you case officer's mind? She sounds like a right dosy cow, or maybe just an arch-bitch. Go back and ask her these questions and if you don't get any satisfaction go over her head.

She said if the part time positions she suggested offered more hours than the part time job I had been offered then I would be obligated to leave and take the job with more hours.

She said if the part time positions she suggested offered more hours than the part time job I had been offered then I would be obligated to leave and take the job with more hours.

Oh well Karen I know you won't like doing this but your only solution is to attend the interviews and act like a retarded mong. Just show up in creased clothing with messy hair and slouch your shoulders and deliberately **** up the interview. That way you won't be offered the position. When your dealing with mongs you have to act like one yourself.

youtube! wrote: »
    Oh well Karen I know you won't like doing this but your only solution is to attend the interviews and act like a retarded mong. Just show up in creased clothing with messy hair and slouch your shoulders and deliberately **** up the interview. That way you won't be offered the position. When your dealing with mongs you have to act like one yourself.

Yes you're spot on. Was called in by TUS last September. Was asked if I would like to work with "youth", told them don't like cheeky little bastards. Asked if I could do some handyman work, yes said I but not much good, but can always manage a bodge up when needed. At the end of interview they said they would be in touch, but they might not be. Nothing for six months, hope this continues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not good enough? You should have slapped them for that,cheeky gits!

Advertisement