Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension benefit for 65 year old

Options
  • 05-05-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

My father who was self-employed up to this year has recently closed his company and has pretty much retired. He was doing this on the basis that he would get the benefit payment that 65 year olds can receive for one year before the state pension kicks in...

He was just refused the benefit as he didnt make the PRSI payments required.

Is there any other options available to him at this stage? Doing a full year without any benefit or pension payment is not going to be manageable for him..
    Any advise greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Cona44 wrote: »
    My father who was self-employed up to this year has recently closed his company and has pretty much retired. He was doing this on the basis that he would get the benefit payment that 65 year olds can receive for one year before the state pension kicks in...

He was just refused the benefit as he didnt make the PRSI payments required.

Is there any other options available to him at this stage? Doing a full year without any benefit or pension payment is not going to be manageable for him..
    Any advise greatly appreciated.

Hi, very tricky situation. Firstly 66 is the age pension payment kicks in. It's likely because your father doesn't appear to have enough PRSI contributions that he will have to apply for a non contributory state pension which is means tested and slightly less than state pension. This is for another few months to consider.

In the mean time there has been an issue whereby those 65 found themselves having to retire and having to sign for jobseekers allowance for a year which was absurd. A solution was announced recently to address this but its also based on PRSI contributions. So your dad may not qualify initially.

Details here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/older_jobseekers.html

This all said, your dad should appeal the decision to refuse a social welfare payment but he'll really need as much info on his previous business, financials etc and may need to get evidence business closed etc, maybe he had a book keeper etc.

I'm sure he's entitled to something however small and he needs to appeal this ASAP. I'd also recommend if possible talking to citizens advice or and his local political representative. These are difficult times and your dad highly unlikely to find employment in the next few months.

Finally use whatever chance he has to get clarity and info on the non contributory pension also as this too will have to be dealt with & applied for nearer to his 66th birthday, do not ass its automatic etc.

Good luck

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Thanks for the response. He is talking with his accountant now and the reason he was denied was he never made the 2019 PRSI payment (he thought he did, but turns out it was never done). He is going to complete this payment now and then re-apply for the benefit.

Hoping this is all that it requires...

Cona44 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. He is talking with his accountant now and the reason he was denied was he never made the 2019 PRSI payment (he thought he did, but turns out it was never done). He is going to complete this payment now and then re-apply for the benefit.

Hoping this is all that it requires...

Great, just make sure he has as much info and paperwork as possible before re applying, might also be good to get a confirmation from revenue (PRSI payment) etc.

I'm sure it will be fine and hopefully when approved, back dated to date of application.

Good luck to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clonback

Was you Dad successful with 65y payment?I'm about to apply and its confusing to sat the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Judging by the date of the first post above, the father must be over pension age now and probably on the Contributory Pension for some months now.

I'd like to know how that one worked out....

• Advertisement

It wasn't me who was inquiring, I just gave some advice back in 2021

Advertisement