Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagull pest control?

Options
  • 17-09-2020 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

We have these vermin nesting on our roof each year for months. They have grown enough now to fly away so we are anxious to get something done now before they nest again.

I understand you can get spikes put up behind the chimney where they seem to nest.

Does anyone know of anybody reliable that has experience dealing with seagulls in a residential A frame house?

I google bird control but all companies I see online seem to deal with bird control on large flat roof buildings and not residential from what I can see.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I came across these people today, I think they can stop them nesting in future but can't come in until nesting season is over: http://www.wildlifemanagement.ie/

We don't have problems with seagulls though, we have crows banging on the chimney cowls from first light, and on and off all day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Your post just reminded me of when we had this problem with pigeons on the roof of our old house. Was disgusting as windows and doorstep was filthy with droppings...our neighbours got the spikes fitted which kept them away. Another suggestion at the time was kind of like a scarecrow for birds such as an eagle statue on the roof.
    Think the spikes might be the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Your post just reminded me of when we had this problem with pigeons on the roof of our old house. Was disgusting as windows and doorstep was filthy with droppings...our neighbours got the spikes fitted which kept them away. Another suggestion at the time was kind of like a scarecrow for birds such as an eagle statue on the roof.
    Think the spikes might be the way to go!

Thanks they are quite a nuisance. I've been ringing pest control companies and none seem to do it for residential housing.

I was in touch with few roofers people recommended on facebook but most seem to only use standard pigeon spikes which I've read are no good for seagulls. One wanted near €300 with me supplying spikes and adhesive just to do around the chimney.

I found another guy but he not been reliable and keeps cancelling. Looks like I'll have to reach out to roofersand find one with some experience putting them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I purchased mine from here in 2013. I got 3 metres and they havent come back to the area since.

https://www.owlpestcontrol.ie/pest-control-products/bird-control-deterrent-products/bird-spikes/

Gull (Seagull) Spikes - MODEL G20 – protect width up to 375mm
    Cost: €8.96+VAT per metre

Bird Spikes Adhesive for Wet Weather
    Cost: €5.92+VAT per tube

We climbed onto the roof and put them around the chimney. If you or someone you know that is comfortable of going up onto the roof and is ok-ish at DIY then it should be a straightforward enough job.

gW1Qdu7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have a similar problem with seagulls. They nest behind the chimney of a neighbours house. The house is rented out but the owner has no interest in doing anything as he doesn't live there and therefore doesn't hear them. The gulls leave the nest and seem to spend the day on my roof making noise from 3am. We've got used to it in the 3 years that we are here. At first, I thought we were going to go insane with the racket.

• Advertisement

lightspeed wrote: »
    ....I google bird control but all companies I see online seem to deal with bird control on large flat roof buildings and not residential from what I can see.
    There must be some doing it as a lot of houses in my area have anti-seagull devices on their roofs.

There must be some doing it as a lot of houses in my area have anti-seagull devices on their roofs.

Yes I took a walk around other houses in my area paying close attention to the chimneys. I noticed quite a few have barb wire at back of their chimney and others have barb wire with some chicken wire. I asked on a facebook page for balbriggan and other than 2 people I already contacted there were no other suggestions. I have a theory that is because birds being a protected species that its illegal to put up barb wire that could harm them. Hence, people were not going to comment publicly on facebook that it was solution they used.

sgarvan wrote: »
    I purchased mine from here in 2013. I got 3 metres and they havent come back to the area since.

https://www.owlpestcontrol.ie/pest-control-products/bird-control-deterrent-products/bird-spikes/

Gull (Seagull) Spikes - MODEL G20 – protect width up to 375mm
    Cost: €8.96+VAT per metre

Bird Spikes Adhesive for Wet Weather
    Cost: €5.92+VAT per tube

We climbed onto the roof and put them around the chimney. If you or someone you know that is comfortable of going up onto the roof and is ok-ish at DIY then it should be a straightforward enough job.

gW1Qdu7.jpg

Just curious did you use only glue or did you nail down spikes also?

I put some around attic velux windows which I could easily reach without having to get on the roof. I found the rounded shape of the roof tiles made it difficult to get a straight edge to glue the spikes down.

Spikes I used I got in box in b&q and were probably built more for pigeons etc and not seagulls. I found seagulls pecked at them and over time the pulled some off that just rolled into the gutter or into back garden.

.... I have a theory that is because birds being a protected species that its illegal to put up barb wire that could harm them. Hence, people were not going to comment publicly on facebook that it was solution they used.
    I'm open to correction but putting up something which prevents seagulls nesting is totally different from actually harming them when they are there. (It's the same pair who mate for years. If they find a suitable place, they will keep returning year after year).

I'm open to correction but putting up something which prevents seagulls nesting is totally different from actually harming them when they are there. (It's the same pair who mate for years. If they find a suitable place, they will keep returning year after year).

I'd tend to agree with you that there is of course a difference but I notice also that the seagull spikes are not all sharp and advertised as a cruelty free bird control solution. Perhaps though that is more for commericial than legal reasons though. I did look at that owlpestcontrol website and notice if you scroll way down that it says spikes are not suitable for nesting or large gulls and for that it's best to use bird netting. So I might try that or combination of that with spikes assuming I can get someone to put them up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I'd tend to agree with you that there is of course a difference but I notice also that the seagull spikes are not all sharp and advertised as a cruelty free bird control solution. Perhaps though that is more for commericial than legal reasons though. I did look at that owlpestcontrol website and notice if you scroll way down that it says spikes are not suitable for nesting or large gulls and for that it's best to use bird netting. So I might try that or combination of that with spikes assuming I can get someone to put them up.

Gull control

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/6/140610-birds-seagulls-deterrent-pollution-disease-sheepdog-raptor-beach/0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Just curious did you use only glue or did you nail down spikes also?

I put some around attic velux windows which I could easily reach without having to get on the roof. I found the rounded shape of the roof tiles made it difficult to get a straight edge to glue the spikes down.

Spikes I used I got in box in b&q and were probably built more for pigeons etc and not seagulls. I found seagulls pecked at them and over time the pulled some off that just rolled into the gutter or into back garden.

Glue Only is what I used. The one I linked above. Messy stuff though. Wouldn't want to risk damaging and putting holes in the tiles .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi

We have these vermin nesting on our roof each year for months. They have grown enough now to fly away so we are anxious to get something done now before they nest again.

I understand you can get spikes put up behind the chimney where they seem to nest.

Does anyone know of anybody reliable that has experience dealing with seagulls in a residential A frame house?

I google bird control but all companies I see online seem to deal with bird control on large flat roof buildings and not residential from what I can see.

Bird Guard siren wailer system. Drives seagulls nuts, lol

They wont be nesting anymore , we have it on the roof of a building I work in.

Seagulls stopped nesting after it was installed.

Maybe not suit a domestic house though.

https://www.danholt.de/english/birdguard-combi-horn-speaker-siren,4013,i.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Advertisement