Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thanks, Fingal County Council.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Full marks to FCC for the fireworks display last night, once again it was stunning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Full marks to FCC for the fireworks display last night, once again it was stunning :)

Have to agree with you there. Fantastic display in a fantastic setting.
    Nice job Fingal CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye huge crowd, very safe, awesome fireworks, some of the best I have seen and I have seen alot over the years, Kids loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Plenty of photos on their Facebook page

Great night. Great music, and great fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

The new landscaped area at the end of the Rathbeale road is looking good. Always nice to see some greenery being encouraged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rushfan wrote: »
    The new landscaped area at the end of the Rathbeale road is looking good. Always nice to see some greenery being encouraged.

We passed it yesterday, they were rolling out the new grass. It's really lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

We passed it yesterday, they were rolling out the new grass. It's really lovely :)

It does look well. It's weird how that area was hidden behind a hedge until recently.

I also spotted the deer at the roundabout yesterday. They're very discrete and you'd easily miss them. Very nice too. All helping to improve the town and good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Thanks to Fingal COCo for planting 20 lovely new trees in the Chapel Farm Estate in Lusk recently. They planted a similar number elsewhere in the estate last year. They are all looking beautiful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Well done fingal for gritting and salting the roads in the nth county, I had to get into town tonight and the roads up until Whitehall were clear it was only after there that the roads were very bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sidcon

Well done fingal for gritting and salting the roads in the nth county, I had to get into town tonight and the roads up until Whitehall were clear it was only after there that the roads were very bad

Agreeded I've been in lots of places across Dublin and fingal is the only area well gritted. Well done Fingal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

FCC and indeed all the local and gov services have been exemplary. Can't thank them enough, keeping us safe and doing a good job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RobFowl wrote: »
    FCC and indeed all the local and gov services have been exemplary. Can't thank them enough, keeping us safe and doing a good job.

The alert system is great for updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Great job done around NCD over the last 5 days. Well done Fingal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Yes I have to say the FCC not only did a fantastic job over the last few days but I feel that they have been excellent throughout the Winter constantly salting and gritting roads during cold and frosty spells.

Excellent Job FCC, keep it up !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭mickmmc

There are excavators on the site opposite the Garden Park - junction of Rathbeale Road/Church Road, Swords (derelict hses site)

I understand that there is a 161 bed Nursing Home being built on that site.

The approach from the Rathbeale Road to Swords will be transformed with the Park and the Nursing Home.

It'll be nice to see something finally built there - and the little park across the way from it is looking amazing, with the wood carving and raised zen garden in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Well done Fingal on the Leinster pipe band championship held in Swords castle last Saturday. The setting was superb and a huge hit with all the bands and spectators. Bands from Limerick, Waterford Wexford, Carlow, Tyrone Laoise and Dublin competed. The weather was also very good.

Hats off to Cllr David O;Connor who put huge time into the event and to Darragh Butler, Mayor Mary McCamley and the staff in Fingal C.C who made the day a huge success. It is expected to be an even bigger event in 2019

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

• Advertisement

That's brilliant! Hopefully the first of many :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

Fingal Co.Co are accepting at their depots in Coolmine and Estuary, combustible materials ( beds, sofas, doors, etc. ) free of charge from Wednesday 24th to Wed 31st October.
    Large Vans and Commercial Vehicles will not be allowed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

I had noticed a couple of cars, seemingly abandoned on Dublin Rd, Swords recently. So, I tweeted FCC, got a request to DM them, where I got a contact email. Forwarded on photos of said vehicle, one was removed within a couple of days. I waited a period of time before emailing re the second car, again it was removed within approx. 30 hrs. So, kudos to FCC. And I emailed my gratitude on both occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I had noticed a couple of cars, seemingly abandoned on Dublin Rd, Swords recently. So, I tweeted FCC, got a request to DM them, where I got a contact email. Forwarded on photos of said vehicle, one was removed within a couple of days. I waited a period of time before emailing re the second car, again it was removed within approx. 30 hrs. So, kudos to FCC. And I emailed my gratitude on both occasions.

Are you able to share that email. We've a few in our estate that are there the last 2 yrs with tax and insurance disc out since 2016

Telly wrote: »
    Are you able to share that email. We've a few in our estate that are there the last 2 yrs with tax and insurance disc out since 2016

Yes indeed, its environment@fingal.ie Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Bit late, but deserves a mention.

I wrote to FCC suggesting they change the traffic light sequence at the airside crossroads.

I suggested a left green arrow for cars turning into Baroimhe when the lights were green for cars exiting Baroimhe.

In fairness to them, they eventually did it and it makes a huge difference to how long you have to sit at those lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

I wrote to FCC suggesting they change the traffic light sequence at the airside crossroads.

I suggested a left green arrow for cars turning into Baroimhe when the lights were green for cars exiting Baroimhe.

In fairness to them, they eventually did it and it makes a huge difference to how long you have to sit at those lights.

Fair play was thinking the wait wasn't as long. What email did you use?

As a regular user of that turn, I thank you

Now how about getting the taxis to stop clogging it?

As a regular user of that turn, I thank you

Now how about getting the taxis to stop clogging it?

You're welcome!

Yes, that's an issue, but hopefully, they realise it's been changed to left only. Aside from that, there's not always a taxi so at least it is of some benefit.

Fair play was thinking the wait wasn't as long. What email did you use?

I wrote an old fashioned letter to the roads department!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 No. 4

I've reported abandoned cars on fixmystreet with similar results.
    https://fixmystreet.ie/

You can check the history for your local area too which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

No. 4 wrote: »
    I've reported abandoned cars on fixmystreet with similar results.
    https://fixmystreet.ie/

You can check the history for your local area too which is good.

I've done that the last 2 yrs and the cars are still there. I also emailed the above and no reply. Guess they'll just sit there forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Yes, that's an issue, but hopefully, they realise it's been changed to left only. Aside from that, there's not always a taxi so at least it is of some benefit.
    Generally 'left only' does not apply to buses/taxis/cycles who are going straight ahead where the lane is otherwise a bus lane. There's usually a sign to indicate this.

Fair play to Fingal for building the outdoor structures on Swords Main Street for dining, having a coffee etc. Should have been done years ago, and depending on the impact on traffic, pedestrianising the whole road should be considered too imho. Thanks to Dizzyblonde and pinkypinky for unravelling the mystery!

https://www.fingal.ie/news/council-completes-significant-public-realm-initiative-swords?fbclid=IwAR3yzAqugFuLIU7W-rJRim0A9J4HzjghtiUXIZowFtAxRxZEHuPJPSlKUho

parklet-swords.jpg?h=e9ed81df&itok=f-RyzKCq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Run My Town virtual Orienteering is great
    https://learning.fingal.ie/course/view.php?id=172

download the maprunF app from your play store, and register and go to the start point in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Inquitus wrote: »
    Fair play to Fingal for building the outdoor structures on Swords Main Street for dining, having a coffee etc. Should have been done years ago, and depending on the impact on traffic, pedestrianising the whole road should be considered too imho. Thanks to Dizzyblonde and pinkypinky for unravelling the mystery!

https://www.fingal.ie/news/council-completes-significant-public-realm-initiative-swords?fbclid=IwAR3yzAqugFuLIU7W-rJRim0A9J4HzjghtiUXIZowFtAxRxZEHuPJPSlKUho

Would be fantastic but very difficult to justify without some sort of new road across the Ward river. Only Main St. and the R132 join North and South Swords in both directions.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Would be fantastic but very difficult to justify without some sort of new road across the Ward river. Only Main St. and the R132 join North and South Swords in both directions.

There's a couple of routes between the Rathbeale Rd and Brackenstown Rd going both ways, and you can cut thru past the Old Schoolhouse in one direction.

There's a couple of routes between the Rathbeale Rd and Brackenstown Rd going both ways, and you can cut thru past the Old Schoolhouse in one direction.

All are from Brackenstown Road and north of it though.
    Anybody travelling from Rathbeale Road / Swords Manor / Brackenstown to River Valley / Ridgewood and even Boroimhe would be forced onto the R132 putting massive pressure on Seatown Rd. and Watery Lane.

The proposed western road should be extended to link to Forrest Road somehow, it's difficult to see exactly how that might be done but for sure River Valley should be linked to Brackenstown Rd. through the park, it's only 650m and would inolve relocating 2 pitches, not much more.
    There is ample space to reinstate them and the parkland.
    But looking at the SFTS it doesn't seem to have even been considered?

https://www.fingal.ie/sites/default/files/2019-10/20190404_sfts_swords_sub_area_report_v1.19_20190404.pdf

I'd personally only pedestrianise it from the Castle up to the lights before the Pavs / Garda Station. And no its not currently in the plans, just something I think is worth considering. They have done it, all be it on a smaller scale, in Malahide.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd personally only pedestrianise it from the Castle up to the lights before the Pavs / Garda Station. And no its not currently in the plans, just something I think is worth considering. They have done it, all be it on a smaller scale, in Malahide.

If you pedestrianised from the star to the garda station you could use the plaza as a through route

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's the bit to pedestrianise - still leave the turn at the Garda station out to the Pavilions intact, and keep the section outside the Council offices. It would require rerouting the buses though...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's the bit to pedestrianise - still leave the turn at the Garda station out to the Pavilions intact, and keep the section outside the Council offices. It would require rerouting the buses though...

They could route them as I suggested above but it wouldn't be popular with short sighted (very) locals who would just scream murder about pitches being dug up despite the fact they would be replaced. There is no "common good" in Irish planning, it's either politically popular or it's not.

056cacbccee97e106d462b330fac79b3.png

sdanseo wrote: »
    They could route them as I suggested above but it wouldn't be popular with short sighted (very) locals who would just scream murder about pitches being dug up despite the fact they would be replaced. There is no "common good" in Irish planning, it's either politically popular or it's not.

056cacbccee97e106d462b330fac79b3.png

This is honestly the most stupid suggestion I've seen on Boards!

Dig up the Soccer pitches, playground, valley, football pitches and put thousands of cars onto a small road in an estate, beside the school, GAA club and local shops.

Can you imagine the traffic going through the Boroimhe junction then?!

Not to mention the impact on the wildlife.

Back to the drawing board with you

It would be a lot of traffic to put onto such a small road but how else do you pedestrianize Main Street when only two main roads (including it) link two halves of a town with 45,000 people - spiraling towards 60,000 in the 2022 census depending on whether Kinsealy/Drinan/Holywell are counted.
    Is it realistic to push all traffic going from the North to South onto the R132 alone?

I take your point about Boroimhe, both junctions at either end of it are badly congested. The planning permission for Lidl should have never been allowed, that should have been a link from River Valley to Pinnock Hill / R132, with a bit of realigning to avoid a 5 spur roundabout since they'll all eventually be replaced with 4-way intersections come Metro.

Airside junction could be grade separated if it was really required with just 2 or 3 CPO's (and of those one is an Airbnb and one is Parfit), but that would really never happen. Far too political.

Could this magical western road link up with Forrest Road to cross the river and create a full bypass?

It's a poorly designed mess caused by bad planning from the very start I suppose.

Anyway, pedestrianizing the main street would be nice if it could be made practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

This is honestly the most stupid suggestion I've seen on Boards!

Dig up the Soccer pitches, playground, valley, football pitches and put thousands of cars onto a small road in an estate, beside the school, GAA club and local shops.

Can you imagine the traffic going through the Boroimhe junction then?!

Not to mention the impact on the wildlife.

Back to the drawing board with you

No it's not. Your knee jerk reaction on the other hand...

It's the only realistic option although the vertical alignment is problematic.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    No it's not. Your knee jerk reaction on the other hand...

It's the only realistic option although the vertical alignment is problematic.

Knee jerk reaction:D:D:D

Give over. It didn't take too much analysis to glance at a map and realise that its a terrible idea.

If you think its a good idea, i suggest you have no understanding on the area and / or respect for local amenities.

The quiet space that is Blanchardstown Library helped a lot of motivated young people get away from a chaotic home life for a few hours and study or even just relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If you want to solve the traffic situation by building a new road then that's where it should be from a transportation point of view. Yes the pitches will be compromised, yes there will be knock-on effects, but that's the nature of building roads infrastructure. It's how this are managed to mitigate the effects that's important. To throw your hands up in the air and assume a do-nothing approach will not solve it.

I had emailed Fingal CC back in Oct re graffiti in both the Northbound & Southbound cycle tunnels at the M1/R132 interchange. Got an email back telling me they'd be back in touch when someone was out to inspect it, which did'nt fill me with hope. I cycled through both sections on Tues, and all affected area were painted over. The area looks so much better. And I emailed my gratitude. Thanks FCC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had emailed Fingal CC back in Oct re graffiti in both the Northbound & Southbound cycle tunnels at the M1/R132 interchange. Got an email back telling me they'd be back in touch when someone was out to inspect it, which did'nt fill me with hope. I cycled through both sections on Tues, and all affected area were painted over. The area looks so much better. And I emailed my gratitude. Thanks FCC!
    You didn't also ask them to replace some of the light bulbs on the northern one by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I made some rumblings to a local official about the amount of leafs blocking up the road on our estate , 8.30am this morning Q a road sweeper lorry with a leaf blower in toe ... 20min later not a leaf to be seen , its the small things :)

Advertisement